2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

The niners are going to hold him until the very last second. I wouldn't put it past them to burn a roster spot for a few days and hold him after final cut down and then cut him before the vet vesting / guarantee right before week one

Who would of thought Jimmy G of all people would get the Brett Farve (Minnesota) treatment. 😎

The 49ers have known from the very beginning JG if released was going to Seattle.  SF was just hoping some other idiot franchise would trade for him.

TBH, given everything Garoppolo has done for the Organization and the choice "they made" to move on. What their doing is Bull 💩.

Why be scared of him as a Seahawk? You as a franchise think he sucks as a 49er, can't win it all Trey Lance can. If anything you should be pushing him out the door.

I think it speaks "volumes" as to why they are doing this tbh and it's not the paragraph above.

Edited by Nabbs4u

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Who would of thought Jimmy G of all people would get the Brett Farve (Minnesota) treatment. 😎

The 49ers have known from the very beginning JG if released was going to Seattle.  SF was just hoping some other idiot franchise would trade for him.

TBH, given everything Garoppolo has done for the Organization and the choice "they made" to move on. What their doing is Bull 💩.

Why be scared of him as a Seahawk? You as a franchise think he sucks as a 49er, can't win it all Trey Lance can. If anything you should be pushing him out the door.

I think it speaks "volumes" as to why they are doing this tbh and it's not the paragraph above.

What if Lance gets hurt? 

It sucks, but there is a personal interest for the team in keeping him  until they can't do it any more. But weirdly, JImmy hasn't seemed to care. He hasn't even asked for his release to go look for a spot. He seems weirdly chill with the entire situation. 

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

What if Lance gets hurt? 

It sucks, but there is a personal interest for the team in keeping him  until they don't have to any more. 

Was the plan to keep Jimmy as the backup for the 2022 season? Is Lance playing in the last PS game? Why hold onto him if for no other reason then to keep him away from Seattle,  not give him a headstart on learning the playbook?

What if Lance gets hurt week 2 post Jimmy cut, who was their master plan then?

They were hoping another teams QB would go down and a 11th hr trade could miraculously appear. Holding on to him days after the 53 man cut down if they do indeed do so is bush league at best. 

I'm not entirely convinced Jimmy would play another snap for the 49ers if a Lance injury occured Ala Baker in Cleveland.  Not given how he was discarded like yesterday's trash in the offseason. Just saying. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Was the plan to keep Jimmy as the backup for the 2022 season? Is Lance playing in the last PS game? Why hold onto him if for no other reason then to keep him away from Seattle,  not give him a headstart on learning the playbook?

Sure, that is part of it - they don't want to give any sort of competitive advantage to a division rival. That's not news and it shouldn't be all that shocking. 

The other reason would be to keep the option for anyone to potentially lose a QB and facilitate a trade, or have a back up option if Lance himself gets hurt.

Not sure what having Jimmy as the backup for 2022 has to do with anything. 

And yes, I do believe that Lance is playing the final preseason game. Shanahan indicated before preseason that the plan was to pay him in the first and third games. No idea if that has changed or not. 

What if Lance gets hurt week 2 post Jimmy cut, who was their master plan then?

Nate Sudfeld and Brock Purdy. But we aren't talking about week 2 post JImmy cut? We are talking about now, before the 49ers are forced to cut him. If Lance gets hurt now, Jimmy comes back as the starter (and yes, I have no doubt that he would play for the 49ers given that he's going to get 25 million to do so and a starting job on potentially the best possible situation to set him up in the best way to get a contract the following year) . If Lance doesn't get hurt, Jimmy gets cut and they rely on Sudfeld / Purdy. I'm not even sure what you're point is with this? 

They were hoping another teams QB would go down and a 11th hr trade could miraculously appear. Holding on to him days after the 53 man cut down if they do indeed do so is bush league at best. 

I said that I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. Doesn't mean that they will. I don't particularly love that idea.  I have no problem with them holding him until final cut down day though. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

The niners are going to hold him until the very last second. I wouldn't put it past them to burn a roster spot for a few days and hold him after final cut down and then cut him before the vet vesting / guarantee right before week one

Haven't actually heard the interview.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I wonder how bad the 49ers don’t want him in Seattle. Would they attach a quality pick to Jimmy G to get someone to trade for him.

God I would hope not. It's not like he's Brock Osweiler where they need to trade him to get out of his contract. I think the Niners staff respects Jimmy and thinks he's a good QB, but I can't imagine them being afraid of him; it's not like the Vikings trading Favre to the Vikings or something like that. If anything that Favre trade to the Jets proves that you can't keep a player away from a team if they truly want to play there. 

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I wonder how bad the 49ers don’t want him in Seattle. Would they attach a quality pick to Jimmy G to get someone to trade for him.

I don't think it's that serious. They are just going to make it as inconvenient as possible for Seattle.