2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Man, the Bears getting Hargrave and Payne would be something!

I don't think it can be understated how much money the Bears have. It is insane. Poles is a big time believer in building through the trenches too, so I could see him throw some insane money at the OL and DL (as he should).

Now that my team is out, I'm diving head first into the offseason and looking at potential available players, which means looking at the free agents and teams' cap situations to see potential cuts. Man, some of these teams are WILD.

In 2023, the Eagles are paying:

Javon Hargrave $12 million

Brandon Graham $9.5 million (plus another $8.5 million total over future years!)

Isaac Seumalo $7.5 million

James Bradberry $5 million

Fletcher Cox $4 million (plus another $6 million total over future years!)

Kyzir White $1 million

all to NOT play for them in 2023. Void years, man.

(Although, I'm not actually sure about the Graham and Cox numbers. I thought those contracts voided after this year, but looking at some sites, now I'm not sure. It looks like the Cox contract may actually start voiding in 2024? The Eagles and Saints do some extremely funky stuff with their contracts.)

Speaking of the Saints, they are $58 million in the red for 2023. They have 11(!) players with a cap hit of at least $10 million, 3 of those having cap hits of over $20 million. To put that into perspective, the Bears have 5 players with a cap hit of $5 million or more, 2 with a hit of $10 or more, and 0 players making more than $20 million. Of those 11 players, 5 would cost MORE to cut than to keep. If they were to cut all the players they could cut in that group to save money, they'd save... about $9 million. All that said, it doesn't matter for the Saints. They pull off insane cap manipulation/juggling and somehow always manage to get under the cap. You can't underestimate how much work a compromising GM, compromising agents, and a bunch of restructures can put in. Granted, you get in a deep enough hole and you have to do that every year, but hey, apparently the Saints like doing that.

On 1/22/2023 at 6:22 AM, seminoles1 said:

Atlanta with Arthur Smith is a perfect spot for Lamar. Arthur Blank is also impatient and wants a quick turnaround.

They tried to trade for Watson last year and the team is in a better spot to make a trade this year.

Atlanta can also send an intriguing young QB to Baltimore as part of a package. Not exactly a great piece mind you, but a longshot lottery ticket.

I could see that being a good fit for Lamar, they could offer the 8th pick, future FRPs, and Ridder. I'm assuming they also have the cap space to extend him. And I like the fit from an on the field perspective, Arthur Smith had an affinity for Mariota and Lamar is a similar player but just 1,000x better. Plus they already have some good young pieces in the passing game with London/Pitts plus Patterson at RB.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It sounds like we're prepared to tag him if we can't agree to an extension.

The tag for RBs this year is $10 million, which is insanely reasonable. Sure, they won't like it, but unless a RB agrees to a Nick Chubb-like contract, they're gonna be tagged. I don't see anyone paying a RB a Zeke/McCaffrey contract this year, or maybe anytime soon.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

The tag for RBs this year is $10 million, which is insanely reasonable. Sure, they won't like it, but unless a RB agrees to a Nick Chubb-like contract, they're gonna be tagged. I don't see anyone paying a RB a Zeke/McCaffrey contract this year, or maybe anytime soon.

We should've just accepted his 5th year option ($8M) which would've put us in position to tag him the following offseason.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

I think hargrave and then CGJ are the most likely for the eagles to resign.

Going to be tricky...Hurts is getting paid this off season. No way he's playing the last year of that deal without a new contract. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Going to be tricky...Hurts is getting paid this off season. No way he's playing the last year of that deal without a new contract. 

An extension though will keep his cap number low. And if it’s done after week 1 they can really push the $ to 2024 and reduce his number even more (crazy).   But even if they extend him b4 games begin it’s not an issue.  

First, add the Iggles’ ability $ to create 28M more with restructures of Lane Johnson / Darius Slay / Jason Kelce / Jake Elliott.  Added to the 4M in space they have 32M.     Finally,  if they resign Hargreave & CGJ they can backload the deal.   The first year hits are often less than 6-7M even when the AAV can hit 20M.   

Cap hell is real - but the new rules since they allowed voidable years with TB12 / Tampa means you can really push it back.   The butchers bill will come due - but not in 2023.      Their ability to perform the same cap wizardry goes down a ton in 2024.   But if Philly wants to keep CGJ / Hargreave / Hurts it can be done quite easily this off-season with the tools GM Roseman has.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Hurts, Burrow, and Herbert are all eligible for extensions this offseason and Lamar is going to get a big extension as well. I'm sure they'll reset the QB market again, I wonder who's going to get the biggest deal.