2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

If Geno flounders against SF this weekend are they really going to bring him back? At 5 they would have to trade up for one of the 2 qbs, could they go with a Derek Carr instead, add to the defense at 5 and take a QB later on?

Edited by adamq

5 minutes ago, adamq said:

If Geno flounders against SF this weekend are they really going to bring him back? At 5 they would have to trade up for one of the 2 qbs, could they go with a Derek Carr instead, add to the defense at 5 and take a QB later on?

I think that bringing him back would be the primary goal, but i don't think that they will marry themselves to it or anything. Going from Geno to Carr probably stabilizes the positions somewhat since he has a longer track record of what to expect, but it's also a little "rearranging deck chairs on the titanic" to me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Patriots, Bears, Packers, Giants, and Ravens should all be inquiring about Hopkins.

Other then the Packers with Aaron Rodgers. Do you see DHop wanting to end his career being thrown to by Jones, Fields, Danny and Lamar? Not exactly passing juggernauts there?

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Other then the Packers with Aaron Rodgers. Do you see DHop wanting to end his career being thrown to by Jones, Fields, Danny and Lamar? Not exactly passing juggernauts there?

Couldn't you have made the same argument about AJ Brown and the Eagles last offseason? They were 25th in passing offense a year ago and Jalen clearly had his struggles as a passer. He took a leap this year and Brown lit it up, is it hard to imagine that Danny or Mac could potentially do the same thing under great coaches with a true #1 WR? 

I could easily see him being open to playing with the Ravens, Giants, or Patriots. Not really sure about the Bears. 

Lamar obviously isn't the greatest passer but he's still a former MVP that's highly regarded around the league and their offense has shown that it can support productive pass catchers even if it's a run first system. Mark Andrews just had 1,300 yards and Hollywood Brown had 1,000 yards playing with Lamar last year. 

New England is likely going to change up their staff but Hopkins and Bill have a good relationship/respect for each other. Daboll is also highly respected and made the most out of a very limited offensive group this year, I'm sure Hopkins would be open to playing with him. 

18 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Shocker.  D-hop wants out of the AZ dysfunctional mess to go to California or Florida.  👌

He wants a new contract with two years left on his original contract.

I’ve lived through this before. Only difference was trading him in his prime vs trading him on the downward trajectory…

As far as places to go? Well, that’s obvious - Cleveland.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Herbert with Hopkins would be... lord.  But do the Chargers have the capital and money to make it work?  

They’re projected $8M+ over the cap as is, with Williams/Allen taking up $40M themselves. They can/will do something with Allen and Mack’s numbers, but Herbert will be looking for a deal soon too. Can’t imagine anyone’s able to pay franchise QB money + 3 wide receivers at or over $20M/year. Plus a highly paid pass rusher and highly paid corner…

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Couldn't you have made the same argument about AJ Brown and the Eagles last offseason?

Not really. AJB coming to the Eagles had almost as much to do with him being best friends with Hurts, already having chemistry, worked out together in offseasons, ect as it did trying to get a legit #1 WR for him to throw to.

Outsiders always thought Hurts wasn't the answer , needed to be replaced. I have Zero doubts Sirianni,  Howie and Lurie felt the same. They saw his work ethic, leadership skills and desire to get better. Hence the choice to surround him with more talent. 

AJ is also not in his 30's and on the decline. Hopkins wants to be on a contender, at Ieast I would think? Or he might just be about money? 🤷‍♂️

Yes all of those teams QB would instantly be better with DHop. Just don't see several as realistic destinations. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

AJ is also not in his 30's and on the decline. Hopkins wants to be on a contender, at Ieast I would think? Or he might just be about money? 🤷‍♂️

Yes all of those teams QB would instantly be better with DHop. Just don't see several as realistic destinations. 

The Ravens provide a chance to win a ring, play in an offense that just supported two productive pass catchers, and be the #1 WR for the former league MVP who is eons more accomplished than Hurts is/was when AJB was traded to Philadelphia. You can't see why that'd be appealing? 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Bills make a lot of sense for D-Hop. Gabe Davis could easily be moved perhaps in a player for player trade with draft capital attached 

Chiefs and Cowboys too

The Bills, Chiefs, and Cowboys can't really afford to take on his massive deal though. Especially if he wants an extension.

4 hours ago, adamq said:

The 49ers are probably the best team in the league and they're extremely hot coming into the playoffs. I don't see why they'd evaluate him based solely on his performance this weekend. He has been extremely good for them this year (8th in yards, 4th in TD, 6th in QBR) do you think that Carr or one of the rookie QB's makes them better next year? Carr is a lateral move AT BEST but considering Geno's knowledge of the system is probably a downgrade. 

I think they could afford to take a chance on someone like Anthony Richardson with their second 1st round pick. But I don't think it's really a need and can see Geno playing at a high level for another 3-4 seasons. I think Pete is committed to winning now, he doesn't have a ton of time left and a developmental QB doesn't really move the needle for them.

• Like 1