Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

15 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Cousins is already going to be 34 this season so we likely only have 3-4 years at most before he retires.  We have all of that time to draft his replacement if the value is there and we can always trade up to get our guy if we find one.  These next two years are going to be very weak QB draft classes though so there is absolutely no point in tanking for a few years just to overdraft a low potential QB anyways.  This is not to mention the fact that there are a lot of very QB needy teams right now so they’re already over inflated value is going to be even higher.  I don’t like any QB in the 1st round this year.  At least Kirk Cousins is entertaining to watch and keeps us competitive.  The best plan for the next two seasons is to just stay with Cousins and then if a QB falls in the draft and we can try to develop them.  We should let all of the other QB needy teams draft these reach QBs now so that they won’t be considering QB a need in a few years when the actual good QB prospects come out.

We can keep Cousins next year, but if we continue to have the same level of success we will have to move on from Cousins. I can't imagine just accepting the same results for the next 4 years while waiting to groom a QB.  KAM's seat would be extremely hot at that point.

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I agree with you, bringing hunter back doesn't say that. Bringing Hunter AND extending cousins says that. That's what I meant. Because if you do both those things, the cap space remaining to improve the team in other areas is minimal. 

How the team looks and performs depends just as much on how the players are used, as what players are on the roster. That is the reason for changing coaches.

Switch to KOC's scheme, add in a new role player or two, maybe change up some blocking techniques and everything could look a LOT different.

23 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

There was a report that in the interview in LA on Monday with KOC, Viking officials were impressed with his long term vision of the team. I imagine, that is more aligned with Kwesi and company moreso then we think. And I think that vision doesn't involve extending a QB in his mid 30s and hitching your ride to his wagon. 

And how do you know that Kwesi doesn't see 2-3 years of Cousins in his long term vision? Maybe, just maybe, his long term vision is remaining competitive in the present while building for the future.

49ers kept Alex Smith around after they drafted Kaepernick so they could properly develop him. I'm sure he learned something from that example. 

• Like 2

The 36-year-old O’Connell is on track to become the 10th head coach in the 62-season history of the Vikings, who have yet to win a Super Bowl despite ranking seventh in all-time winning percentage among the NFL’s active 32 clubs. The Vikings are the only team among the top 15 in winning percentage without a championship.

By hiring Adofo-Mensah, the Vikings took their front office in a vastly different direction with a former Wall Street trader with economics degrees from Princeton and Stanford to replace Spielman, the scout’s scout whose whole life has been in the game.

That makes O’Connell more of an obvious fit than Harbaugh. Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf have long admired the model of family-run stability by franchises like the Pittsburgh Steelers, who hired Mike Tomlin as head coach in 2007 — after one year as defensive coordinator of the Vikings — and have kept him ever since.

https://apnews.com/article/minnesota-vikings-los-angeles-rams-nfl-sports-michigan-afe11d27e6ffff5c3eed238c72783678?utm_medium=AP_Top25&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The 36-year-old O’Connell is on track to become the 10th head coach in the 62-season history of the Vikings, who have yet to win a Super Bowl despite ranking seventh in all-time winning percentage among the NFL’s active 32 clubs. The Vikings are the only team among the top 15 in winning percentage without a championship.

By hiring Adofo-Mensah, the Vikings took their front office in a vastly different direction with a former Wall Street trader with economics degrees from Princeton and Stanford to replace Spielman, the scout’s scout whose whole life has been in the game.

That makes O’Connell more of an obvious fit than Harbaugh. Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf have long admired the model of family-run stability by franchises like the Pittsburgh Steelers, who hired Mike Tomlin as head coach in 2007 — after one year as defensive coordinator of the Vikings — and have kept him ever since.

https://apnews.com/article/minnesota-vikings-los-angeles-rams-nfl-sports-michigan-afe11d27e6ffff5c3eed238c72783678?utm_medium=AP_Top25&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter

Explains why they hung onto Zimmer and Spielman for so long. Results aren’t top priority until it’s toxic.

Edited by vikingsrule

19 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

We can keep Cousins next year, but if we continue to have the same level of success we will have to move on from Cousins. I can't imagine just accepting the same results for the next 4 years while waiting to groom a QB.  KAM's seat would be extremely hot at that point.

A 33-7 TD:INT ratio seems pretty successful to me.  The problem is Cousins ability it’s his cap hit.  If he is willing to finally take a team friendly extension then you do it otherwise you can let him leave.  An extension now would be wise though because he will likely be even more successful under O’Connell.  More likely than not we aren’t going to be able to find a better QB than Cousins for at least 3 years because of how weak the drafts will be.  I can’t imagine you would prefer to have worse results for the next 4 years while waiting to groom a QB…. Because that’s what you’ll get by trading Cousins.  Every QB in the draft the next 2 years is going to need time to develop before they are good. The only decent veteran stop gap QB options would be guys like Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, or Sam Darnold.  All of those guys would also give worse results than Cousins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Except we are in the Cousins Purgatory years. Can people not see that? sure lets keep picking 12-22 every year. The current iteration of the Minnesota Vikings is not working.

Why are people so afraid to blow it up? What do we have to lose?

The purgatory you speak of isn’t due to Cousins, imo. 

• Like 2

Just now, marshpit23 said:

Whether it is or not, I can't imagine keeping the same QB while getting the same results. Cousins falls in with Spielman and Zimmer in regards who gets most responsibility for the Vikings record the last 4 seasons.  Cousins is next in line.

12 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

It's due to Cousins and everything that comes with having him on the team; including his cap hit which limits the ability to improve the team in other areas.

Typically that is fine, because you'll have a QB that transcends that, with that type of cap hit.

Cousins does not.

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

And the other guy says to bet on the extension. Next. 

I'm sorry but I'm going to with Doogie here, who has been in tune with the Vikings every step of the way. He's the one with the info, he's the one with the connections, he's the one that said it was KOC's job to lose even with the Harbaugh info being reported as a done deal from multiple blue check mark sources.

The other guy was just spitballing. Doogie is providing his opinion with the inner thinking of management shaping his opinion.