Jaguars fall back to Doug Pederson for HC

Apparition

On 2/5/2022 at 12:01 PM, MikeT14 said:

As far as Doug Pederson, the argument keeps coming in that his ceiling is the Super Bowl because he won one before. All I'm saying is that I don't think he is capable of doing that again. He had his perfect storm. I don't think his ability precludes him from doing it twice. Think Bruce Arians now if you want. With Brady gone, I think he's done. 

Perfect storm of what?

Being the only 1 seed in NFL history to be an underdog 3 times?

The most likely HoF player on that team was put on IR after week 7. (Peters)

I guess Cox and Kelce could be in that HoVG/HoF discussion.

Their MVP QB was on IR.

A perfect Storm is Barry Switzer getting Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys + Deion Sanders.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This is a really optimistic view of our SB when looking at the coach. There is no question Doug was on fire in the playoffs that year... but so was our entire team. Everyone was playing incredible that playoff stretch and it was without a doubt a miracle run. Also the 2017 Eagles WERE stacked with talent. That roster was incredible from top to bottom which is why we could carry on without Wentz and why Foles looked like an Elite QB during the playoff run. You can give Doug credit for sure... but to say the team persevered simply because of coaching isn't exactly correct. You could also point to assistants and coordinators who moved on after 2017 which coincided with a steep drop off in production going forward and say that maybe it wasn't all just Doug as well.

I wouldn't say Doug is incapable of winning another Super Bowl, but I'd have to say it is extremely unlikely.

I'd put his chances somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in 32.

23 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I wouldn't say Doug is incapable of winning another Super Bowl, but I'd have to say it is extremely unlikely.

Only singular reason it might be "extremely" unlikely is because in NFL history it rarely occurs. Same HC winning SB Titles with two seperate Organizations. So playing with those odds, you're probably correct.

With that said, while winning the SB is always the ultimate goal the most important thing right now is changing the culture of that locker room,  building and getting that FQB Trevor Lawrence playing on a HOF type projection. 

If that means Doug Pederson down the line is Tony Dungy'd, Jimmy Johnson'd or Bill Cowher'd and another HC is hired to finish off what was built off their backs (Gruden, Switzer, Tomlin), so be it. Pretty sure Jags fans would be OK with that.

Think Pederson can easily get that ball rolling in the correct direction. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Only singular reason it might be "extremely" unlikely is because in NFL history it rarely occurs. Same HC winning SB Titles with two seperate Organizations. So playing with those odds, you're probably correct.

With that said, while winning the SB is always the ultimate goal the most important thing right now is changing the culture of that locker room,  building and getting that FQB Trevor Lawrence playing on a HOF type projection. 

If that means Doug Pederson down the line is Tony Dungy'd, Jimmy Johnson'd or Bill Cowher'd and another HC is hired to finish off what was built off their backs (Gruden, Switzer, Tomlin), so be it. Pretty sure Jags fans would be OK with that.

Think Pederson can easily get that ball rolling in the correct direction. 

I mean it’s rare to win multiple SB’s as it is. Mike Tomlin has been with the Steelers for 15 years and has only won 1 yet he’s (accurately) viewed as a top 3 coach in football. Andy Reid who’s been a HC between two organizations for the past 20+ years has only won 1, etc..

What a weird argument. I’d say any hire we (or anyone really) makes is “unlikely” to win the SB. 

6 hours ago, SkippyX said:

A perfect Storm is Barry Switzer getting Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys + Deion Sanders.

Best post. Those Cowboys were so good even Switzer couldn't mess it up 2 out of 2 times. Rising above Switzer = player talent. HoF drafting clinic by JJ.  

Spielman and Pederson is an interesting development for the Jags. In a good way. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 1:27 PM, JiffyJag said:

Ah yes, the perfect storm of “your MVP candidate QB goes down at the end of the season” lol 

Really, the SB wins of TB and Philadelphia seem to be exact opposite scenarios. One was a stacked team carried by its talent, in particular the literal greatest QB of all time, that probably makes a deep playoff run with any HC. The other is an injured team who lost seemingly its best player but still persevered because of…..coaching. 

I don’t know if I’d call it a perfect storm, but that Eagles team was very talented and got red-hot when it mattered. Pederson deserves his fat share of credit, but describing them simply as a team that lost their best player, is shorting the rest of the team. 

Top 5 offense, top 5 defense. Elite OL, Lane, Brooks, Kelce, anchoring it down. Cox, Jernigan, Graham, Barnett (lol), Curry, providing a good rotation. Bradham, Hicks, Kendricks, were playing great ball at the time. Mills even was at CB. McLeod and especially Jenkins we’re good in the back. Ertz and Jeffery were very good (but not elite) players. 

Certainly more than a team that simply lost their best player.

I am an Eagles fan. Trust me when I say I know that team very well.

At the end that team was way more 2007 Giants than 1985 Bears.

• Big V is one of the worst regular O-lineman of the past 20 years. He replaced a HoF player for 12 games.
  • They lost their MLB
  • They lost their kicker
  • They lost their MVP QB.

They still had 3 stud OL but the line looked like this. 20 40 88 90 90. That's a huge hole with Wiz and Big V.

• Watch the 4th down play from midfield on the last SB TD drive. What is Big V doing on that play?

Their WRs were Jeffery, Torrey Smith, and Agholor.

Ajayi/LG/Clement is not going to make people forget Marshall Faulk.

Those Eagles only played 15 regular season games.

• They were a +150 in the first 11 games. 
  • They were a +10 in the last 4.

This was not a team that was rolling like a juggernaut or overwhelming everyone. They game planned and coached and performed at their max in the playoffs. They rebuilt their offense on the fly for Foles. Pederson gets an A++ for that season. Pretending otherwise is weak.

Edited by SkippyX

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t know if I’d call it a perfect storm, but that Eagles team was very talented and got red-hot when it mattered. Pederson deserves his fat share of credit, but describing them simply as a team that lost their best player, is shorting the rest of the team. 

Top 5 offense, top 5 defense. Elite OL, Lane, Brooks, Kelce, anchoring it down. Cox, Jernigan, Graham, Barnett (lol), Curry, providing a good rotation. Bradham, Hicks, Kendricks, were playing great ball at the time. Mills even was at CB. McLeod and especially Jenkins we’re good in the back. Ertz and Jeffery were very good (but not elite) players. 

It's sad how the masses always seem to forget all of this, because Nick Foles won the SB. 

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah that entire team got hot at the right time. The offense was one of the more in sync units week to week the last couple years. They were on the forefront of RPO and adding aggressiveness to 4th downs and teams couldn't deal with it. being that good on 3rd down and the redzone wins you a lot of games.

Definitely some stuff that made things easier that year. NFC wasn't stellar...Rodgers was hurt most of the year and Seahawks fell apart near the end. The Eagles had a weaker schedule that helped them get the #1 seed. 
But every super bowl winner can be picked a part that way. Doug called a pretty much perfect came in the championship game and then again in the Super Bowl and beat Belichick and Brady during Brady's most impressive SB performance. They don't win that super bowl without Doug leading things.

I don't think he'll repeat, it's hard to win one in the NFL - let alone two.
But solid shot to be in the mix. That division sucks, if he can get Lawrence on track and they build the roster up and the Khans can stop meddling...they should be in a good spot. I think Trevor has a load of potential, but people really overlooked some of the stuff he needed to work on leaving Clemson. I'm not sure he would've been good year one regardless of where he went. People like Doug, only reason things broke down with Carson was because Wentz was incredibly fragile mentally. Hope for the best for them.

If Doug hires Press Taylor as his OC like I am hearing is possible... that tells me Doug takes no responsibility for his exit in Philly and the same stuff he was bad at here will continue for the Jags.

He will still be a solid culture guy regardless, but the guy isn't an offensive genius by any standard and he needs an OC to help shape out an identity for him and the team. Promoting Press Taylor to OC is LITERALLY why he got fired in Philly.