Jaguars fall back to Doug Pederson for HC

Apparition

31 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

As I mentioned before, that was in the past. Looking forward, I don't see it. See Shanahan/Washington. 

Shanahan joined Washington 12 years after he won a Super Bowl and the league had clearly begun to pass him by.

Specifically, what about Doug mirrors something like that?

To clarify, I’m not being a jerk or anything. I’m genuinely trying to understand where this concern comes from. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

Shanahan joined Washington 12 years after he won a Super Bowl and the league had clearly begun to pass him by.

To clarify, I’m not being a jerk or anything. I’m genuinely trying to understand where this concern comes from. 

On a side note, it’s hilarious that the league passed by Mike but his coaching tree has been so successful: Kyle, McVay, Lafleur

45 minutes ago, pwny said:

As far as Doug Pederson, the argument keeps coming in that his ceiling is the Super Bowl because he won one before. All I'm saying is that I don't think he is capable of doing that again. He had his perfect storm. I don't think his ability precludes him from doing it twice. Think Bruce Arians now if you want. With Brady gone, I think he's done. 

26 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

As far as Doug Pederson, the argument keeps coming in that his ceiling is the Super Bowl because he won one before. All I'm saying is that I don't think he is capable of doing that again. He had his perfect storm. I don't think his ability precludes him from doing it twice. Think Bruce Arians now if you want. With Brady gone, I think he's done. 

Ah yes, the perfect storm of “your MVP candidate QB goes down at the end of the season” lol 

Really, the SB wins of TB and Philadelphia seem to be exact opposite scenarios. One was a stacked team carried by its talent, in particular the literal greatest QB of all time, that probably makes a deep playoff run with any HC. The other is an injured team who lost seemingly its best player but still persevered because of…..coaching. 

Edited by JiffyJag
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Ah yes, the perfect storm of “your MVP candidate QB goes down at the end of the season” lol 

Really, the SB wins of TB and Philadelphia seem to be exact opposite scenarios. One was a stacked team carried by its talent, in particular the literal greatest QB of all time, that probably makes a deep playoff run with any HC. The other is an injured team who lost seemingly its best player but still persevered because of…..coaching. 

This is a really optimistic view of our SB when looking at the coach. There is no question Doug was on fire in the playoffs that year... but so was our entire team. Everyone was playing incredible that playoff stretch and it was without a doubt a miracle run. Also the 2017 Eagles WERE stacked with talent. That roster was incredible from top to bottom which is why we could carry on without Wentz and why Foles looked like an Elite QB during the playoff run. You can give Doug credit for sure... but to say the team persevered simply because of coaching isn't exactly correct. You could also point to assistants and coordinators who moved on after 2017 which coincided with a steep drop off in production going forward and say that maybe it wasn't all just Doug as well.

I wouldn't say Doug is incapable of winning another Super Bowl, but I'd have to say it is extremely unlikely.

46 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

If you believe Doug is going to get you there, by all means believe it. He might. I already said I thought it was a good hire for you all. It’s just closer to Rivera for me. The guy before the guy to help fix the sinking ship. And I’ve been sinking for a long time too. 

Well they picked a pretty good fallback. As we know, Pederson inherited a dream team with an unstoppable HOF QB & managed, through no ability of his own, to luck into a SB victory. 

Ok maybe I went overboard with the sarcasm, but the Jags made a good hire. He will bring competency to this organization, Jags fans should be happy. I think most are.

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong but I hear that the Jags wanted Byron Leftwich. And Leftwich wanted the Jags. And Trent Baalke said "it's him or me." And Shahid Khan kept Trent Baalke? The guy who forced out his one good head coach on the Niners and replaced him like this?

I will never understand NFL team owners. Pederson is a pretty good fallback, but... wow.

Edited by y*so*blu

On 2/4/2022 at 5:27 PM, Nabbs4u said:

You joke but can you think of a better mentor and back up QB to help install Doug's system for Trevor Lawrence? It's not exactly a paint by numbers type offense. He'd basically be an extra QB coach in the film room.

Could think of numerous worse options TBH.

Take him for a 7th. Done deal