Jaguars fall back to Doug Pederson for HC

Apparition

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Also, I can't be the only one who sees Pederson as a much better hire than Leftwich. I don't trust a young coach who has only had success with Tom Brady.

Leftwich has been talked about as a special coach that was on the fast track for becoming a head coach since his first year as a QB coach in Arizona.

And sure, only success with Tom Brady. If we ignore that his first job as interim Offensive Coordinator was to coach Josh Rosen, or we ignore that he had the third highest scoring offense in the league the year before Brady got there and got 34 TDs out of Jameis Winston.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Also, I can't be the only one who sees Pederson as a much better hire than Leftwich. I don't trust a young coach who has only had success with Tom Brady.

Pederson is probably the higher floor, lower ceiling hire. I still liked Leftwich for JAX, but it was obviously a bigger unknown. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I actually agree - the best aspect of Leftwich was his ties to the organization (well, that and his disdain for Baalke).

If looked at in a vacuum, Pederson is the better option.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Leftwich is the superior coach by a factor of infinity if only because he has the sense to refuse a job with Baalke.

Fwiw, Pederson said the same thing in his first interview. Wasn’t happy with the structure.

Then we hear about Spielman likely coming in (who was reportedly high on Pederson in MIN as a HC option) and then Pederson gets a 2nd interview on Monday/hired last night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Damm this is so bad. I would hate to be a Jags fan. Holy smokes this is so sad. My condolences no one team deserves this much ineptitude. Stay strong brother, 3 years fly fast. 

Rammy you must be playing the Jags next season? We know they have a hard time beating Pederson! 2-1 😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

38 wins in four years before it went to crap in 2020. I don’t think people realize we would absolutely kill for that in Jacksonville.

He should be huge for Trevor’s development and changing the culture. The city will be buzzing if he turns this team into a winner.

Pretty much this. Say what you will but this was the better of the two options IMO. 

Doug's already proven he can handle adversity (injuries) and still put a winnable product on the field. Is a leader of men and instantly can change the culture of that organization the minute he walks through the doors. Players will buy in! If they don't,  they won't be there.

Not sure Leftwich as a 1st time HC would of had that TBH? Not saying in his own way it couldn't of work but I don't for a second think it would of had the same impact. 

This is not only about "Culture" being built but Trevor Lawrence's Progresion as a FQB moving forward. I mean this is the same HC that had Carson friggen Wentz playing like a MVP and turned Nick Foles into a SB MVP for God sakes.

Now you give him Trevor Lawrence? 

Doug's major flaw is he gets carried away trying to prove his genius as a play caller. To the point many times his pass to run ratio gets wacky because he has a QB who can make any throw on any given play. 70-30 , 80-20 type BS. Hopefully he's learned from that mistake with Wentz too.

It's OK to run the ball Doug.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 4

There were 2 major concerns I had with Pederson in Philly.

The first was his maddening insistence on deep-set slow-developing 3rd and short plays.

The second was Sticks Schwartz by prevent scheme giving up 15-20 yards on 3rd and 22.

• This killed field position and ruined any chance of a turnover on the highest pressure plays.

Edited by SkippyX

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Football wise, possibly...but never ethically or morally.

Football wise, he’s already lapped them. The guy has been an owner of this team for a decade, and has 42 wins. He is in charge of one of the worst runs any team has ever had.

This team has won one more game over the last decade than the Matt Millen era Lions did in the decade from 2001-2010, and those Lions are the all time benchmark for bad teams. And he got that extra win in the expanded season, which gave them one more game to play and he only got that win week 18. Even the expansion Bucs team put together 46 wins in their first decade, and they played two seasons with just 14 games and one season with just NINE games. He has the second worst decade ever for a team, and that’s his only time ever as an owner. He is — until proven otherwise — the worst on field product owner in NFL history.