2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

At this point, I’ll take bodies. Wouldn’t anticipate great players at this stage of FA unless they are holding out for an insane deal which we can’t afford. If the Vikes can bring back Peterson and draft a CB in round one, that’s a start. Might still be a weakness next year but hopefully having Hunter and Smith rushing the passer will help the secondary. 

I can live with Peterson, 1st round rookie, Sullivan, Dantzler, Boyd and Hand for one year. Maybe draft another slot CB in round 3 or 4 and I think that would be modest improvement. But again, even an average defense gets this team to the playoffs last year and looking at the pool of NFC teams, it seems a majority of the playoff teams have gotten worse. 

Sure I would be ok with ideally this but long way from that because Peterson is not signed and Stingley has not even had his pro day workout much less fell in the draft to 12.  But sure this would not be awful.

CB Patrick Peterson / Harrison Hand
CB Derek Stingley Jr / Cam Dantzler 
Slot CB Chandon Sullivan / Kris Boyd

Bryce Callahan is still out there and I would have rather got him than Sullivan, AJ Bouye is as well and Mike Hughes signed with the Lions granted he got about $3.5 mil so I assume Sullivan is not getting that.  Also not sure Patrick Peterson is the way to go, Kyle Fuller is arguably a better corner and he is still out there but what both would cost around 10 mil.  Chris Harris is another vet corner still out there.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure I would be ok with ideally this but long way from that because Peterson is not signed and Stingley has not even had his pro day workout much less fell in the draft to 12.  But sure this would not be awful.

CB Patrick Peterson / Harrison Hand
CB Derek Stingley Jr / Cam Dantzler 
Slot CB Chandon Sullivan / Kris Boyd

Bryce Callahan is still out there and I would have rather got him than Sullivan, AJ Bouye is as well and Mike Hughes signed with the Lions granted he got about $3.5 mil so I assume Sullivan is not getting that.  Also not sure Patrick Peterson is the way to go, Kyle Fuller is arguably a better corner and he is still out there but what both would cost around 10 mil.  Chris Harris is another vet corner still out there.

Given the amount of cap space MN still has and the glaring hole at CB, I’d think it’s a near certainty they will sign one starting caliber CB; whether that be Peterson or someone else. I definitely see the defense as being one that will bring a lot of pressure and perhaps create a lot of turnovers but also be susceptible to giving up chunk of yardage given the state of the secondary. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Given the amount of cap space MN still has and the glaring hole at CB, I’d think it’s a near certainty they will sign one starting caliber CB; whether that be Peterson or someone else. I definitely see the defense as being one that will bring a lot of pressure and perhaps create a lot of turnovers but also be susceptible to giving up chunk of yardage given the state of the secondary. 

Yeah I am not sure how they sign anyone either but teams can pull money out of their butt by giving roster bonuses etc.  But if they just collect bodies they could be in trouble, it is not an issue of bodies to play corner it is finding quality players at the position.  They had bodies last year and a pass rush and that did not really matter, they got beat and were overall a pretty bad D.

Not sure one can just hope they get so much pressure the secondary and the corners do not matter as much.  Also with Harrison Smith he is more a rover and is good around the line of scrimmage, not sure he is a great deep coverage safety with amazing range and ability to cover the slot because he is not.  So not like he will cover up the mistakes.  

I do feel better about the FA now when compared to last week. I loved the Smith signing and the contract structure even more. It's getting more clear that the management is seeing a 2 year window and if it doesn't work out, then they are gonna move on from Kirk. I would have preferred a rebuild now itself but I don't mind this approach too. I just wish they can upgrade at the Guard or Center position in FA and just give Cousins an avg-above avg line to see how he does under a competent line.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's your average slot corner.  Probably didn't spend too much on him.

That's an upgrade for us. I doubt he impacts the comp picks too, not that we'll get much anyways.

CB is still the biggest need on our team. 

Also, I'm glad we got Sullivan and not Kevin King.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I am not sure how they sign anyone either but teams can pull money out of their butt by giving roster bonuses etc.  But if they just collect bodies they could be in trouble, it is not an issue of bodies to play corner it is finding quality players at the position.  They had bodies last year and a pass rush and that did not really matter, they got beat and were overall a pretty bad D.

Not sure one can just hope they get so much pressure the secondary and the corners do not matter as much.  Also with Harrison Smith he is more a rover and is good around the line of scrimmage, not sure he is a great deep coverage safety with amazing range and ability to cover the slot because he is not.  So not like he will cover up the mistakes.  

Peterson wasn’t a bad starter last year. The other guys across from him simply weren’t talented enough to make a difference, which is why we really need an immediate impact starter at CB with pick 12. The group needs higher end talent.