Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

11 minutes ago, Sandy said:

If Rodgers is traded after one season the dead cap jumps to $67m according to OtC.

Rodgers either retires or he comes back next year. Both sides agreed to close the third door.

I think OtC has it wrong.  The triggering roster bonusses each year have confused it.

Spotrac I *think* has it correct but it only makes sense if you read the notes underneath.

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kampfgeist said:

Rodgers is not retiring the same year as Tom Brady.  Bank it.  He plays a minimum of 2 years unless Brady is coming back for more at age 46.

Agreed.

I think Rodgers wants to be the first player in NFL history to play 20 years with the same team. 

This contract sets that up nicely. And the cap hits each year are low enough that the Packers can assemble a team good enough to contend - just as long as Rodgers keeps playing at a high level. 

8 minutes ago, British said:

I think OtC has it wrong.  The triggering roster bonusses each year have confused it.

Spotrac I *think* has it correct but it only makes sense if you read the notes underneath.

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Ah so that dead cap box of $99m is correct then? Or if we trade him is the receiving team on the hook for the triggering roster bonus?

Such a confusing contract lol

Edited by Sandy

Man....there is some bad koolaid being passed around here.

I've accepted that Rodgers is here.  I've accepted that Adams is going to be here.

That doesn't mean it is a good deal for GB Packers.  This is a horrible business plan.  I can't help but think that in 2024 there is going to be a lot of finger pointing, the hindsighters will be crying in their milk.  Rodgers and Murphy will both be gone (what a fu**ing coincidence).

I'll back the pack, but my wife would leave me if I ran our family this way.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Rodgers got what he wanted.  Control of his own destiny.

Rodgers is one smooth operator, he definitely got what he wanted, control. So the organization has to placate and message his ego for the remainder of his tenure.

7 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I've accepted that Rodgers is here.  I've accepted that Adams is going to be here.

That doesn't mean it is a good deal for GB Packers.  This is a horrible business plan.  I can't help but think that in 2024 there is going to be a lot of finger pointing, the hindsighters will be crying in their milk.  Rodgers and Murphy will both be gone (what a fu**ing coincidence).

Agree, they are barreling 100 MPH down a dead-end road and it won't end well, yet some people love it because that is the way they operate their own train wreak life's.   

27 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I dig yah, Dubs, you know that.  I hope you and your family have been well!

I was pretty anti-Rodgers and anti-Packer after the loss.  I've haven't been that upset by a loss since Denver.

Still.  This has to be viewed as one of the best off-seasons that the franchise has had in a long time.

They were so far over the cap and had a pretty disgruntled 2X reigning MVP QB who might leave.

But Rodgers is back, love him or hate him.  And he is back with an 18M "savings" to the cap for this year.

'Vante wants to get paid and we have him on the franchise tag.  With Rodgers here, Adams will be here as well.

We got one of the two Smith's to return and it sounds like we were kinda of close to keeping them both.

Losing Z hurts, but let's face it, he didn't play last year anyway.

We retained our most impactful ILB since, since, since.....since I can remember.  Which is back to the 80's.

We lost a quality RT who failed a physical and became a liability.  Year early versus year too late.

And we are still in the mix for Douglas.

I mean, the front office has worked some magic so far to keep our team as intact as they can.

To me, it is pretty remarkable.  I'm gonna take it one year at a time.  And this returning cast so far is better than I thought it would be.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

What's the alternative? Plan B (Jordan Love) wasn't going to work. If the Gute and Co. felt that Love could be the guy, he'd be the guy right now. 

So, unless you wanted to be part of the current frenzy to trade for another high-priced QB who isn't as good as Rodgers, but maybe a little cheaper, it was either Rodgers or going with the guy the Packers brass has already decided isn't going to be the guy. Gute and Co. have jobs to think about. Rodgers means wins and a lot of them, even if we fail to win a SB. That's probably more appealing for Gute versus 5-6 wins with Jordan Love or some other unknown. 

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We lost a quality RT who failed a physical and became a liability. 

I'd love to know what he actually failed for.

I mean, it's not like we dont have players that require down time for injuries - and this down time would have been at the most fortuitous: the off season.

Just interested to know the specifics......for no important reason.....just interested.

54 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree, they are barreling 100 MPH down a dead-end road and it won't end well, yet some people love it because that is the way they operate their own train wreak life's.   

Maybe TT's steady as she goes approach which many of us (including me) learned to love, has people unprepared for Gute's more aggressive modern style.  The last two SB winners went all in and won. Having a neatly managed cap is overrated. Especially when you can do a rebuild in a year. 

The Packers have a 3 year window to win a Superbowl.  Almost every team in the league would kill for that opportunity. The rest of the NFC North certainly would.  

Blowing it up in 2025 is a small price to pay for three more cracks at it. 

If spotrac has it right, I can't really understand all of the faulting on the board.  

• I get the notion that we had an opportunity to trade for draft picks and rebuild a new future. 
  • So, I totally get the Buildican orientation to trade and rebuild now;  So if you wanted Buildican and are revolted by Nowacrat approach, and of trying it again, I get being revolted by this or any other Rodgers deal.  

But *IF* spotrac has it right, and *IF* you recognize that management is Nowacrat, I don't really see how the contract itself is that bad?  

• Spotrac shows hits of <$29 and <$32 for years 1 and 2. 
  • Given the rapidly escalating inflation rate for QB's, I don't see those as being revolting showstoppers? 
  • The QB price-rate is going to continue to spiral, as every agent and GM anticipates cap-jumps. 
  • For year 3, it's a $40 cap or a $24 dead-cap, per spotrac. 
  • $24 dead-cap doesn't seem like it would blow up the rest of the decade, does it?  So if you take two shots, and then absorb the $24 dead-cap, I don't see how that is shocking or revolting.  

If you're going Nowacrat, which was always management's intent, I don't see how the contract is bad or overpriced.  

4 minutes ago, craig said:

If spotrac has it right, I can't really understand all of the faulting on the board.  

• I get the notion that we had an opportunity to trade for draft picks and rebuild a new future. 
  • So, I totally get the Buildican orientation to trade and rebuild now;  So if you wanted Buildican and are revolted by Nowacrat approach, and of trying it again, I get being revolted by this or any other Rodgers deal.  

But *IF* spotrac has it right, and *IF* you recognize that management is Nowacrat, I don't really see how the contract itself is that bad?  

• Spotrac shows hits of <$29 and <$32 for years 1 and 2. 
  • Given the rapidly escalating inflation rate for QB's, I don't see those as being revolting showstoppers? 
  • The QB price-rate is going to continue to spiral, as every agent and GM anticipates cap-jumps. 
  • For year 3, it's a $40 cap or a $24 dead-cap, per spotrac. 
  • $24 dead-cap doesn't seem like it would blow up the rest of the decade, does it?  So if you take two shots, and then absorb the $24 dead-cap, I don't see how that is shocking or revolting.  

If you're going Nowacrat, which was always management's intent, I don't see how the contract is bad or overpriced.  

You're not understanding those 30m options, they are accepted way before the year they appear, so add those to the dead cap, and that's where you get your 50,70m hits. His cap hit if he retires in '24 will be around 75m.