Rodgers reportedly coming back

Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, British said:

Maybe TT's steady as she goes approach which many of us (including me) learned to love, has people unprepared for Gute's more aggressive modern style.  The last two SB winners went all in and won. Having a neatly managed cap is overrated. Especially when you can do a rebuild in a year. 

The Packers have a 3 year window to win a Superbowl.  Almost every team in the league would kill for that opportunity. The rest of the NFC North certainly would.  

Blowing it up in 2025 is a small price to pay for three more cracks at it. 

Yep - TT's approach gave stability for a decade, but having a top 3 QB will also de-facto give you that. Some have argued it's also why they never got to the SB again bowing out to flash in the pan teams on shorter windows... like you said the last two SB teams did it too, parts of this board were laughing themselves senseless at how the Rams handed away so many of these coveted and over valued "draft picks" and it would burn them, well.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The cap isn't this scary boogeyman either, I live by Philly and Howie, while having his issues in not being able to keep his hand out of the drafting/scouting department, seems to get out of sticky cap situations every year or so with ease, same with New Orleans:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're not understanding those 30m options, they are accepted way before the year they appear, so add those to the dead cap, and that's where you get your 50,70m hits. His cap hit if he retires in '24 will be around 75m.

To clarify I think you mean the dead cap hit in 2025, not Rodgers cap hit in 2024.

The joy of this deal is we have 3 years of the back to back MVP at cap hits of 29, 32, 40 and then the mother of all dead cap hits while we tank for our next QB.  Seems fine to me. 

4 minutes ago, Laces Out said:

Yep - TT's approach gave stability for a decade, but having a top 3 QB will also de-facto give you that. Some have argued it's also why they never got to the SB again bowing out to flash in the pan teams on shorter windows... like you said the last two SB teams did it too, parts of this board were laughing themselves senseless at how the Rams handed away so many of these coveted and over valued "draft picks" and it would burn them, well.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The cap isn't this scary boogeyman either, I live by Philly and Howie, while having his issues in not being able to keep his hand out of the drafting/scouting department, seems to get out of sticky cap situations every year or so with ease, same with New Orleans:

How can this be possible 🤔 

58 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What's the alternative? Plan B (Jordan Love) wasn't going to work. If the Gute and Co. felt that Love could be the guy, he'd be the guy right now. 

So, unless you wanted to be part of the current frenzy to trade for another high-priced QB who isn't as good as Rodgers, but maybe a little cheaper, it was either Rodgers or going with the guy the Packers brass has already decided isn't going to be the guy. Gute and Co. have jobs to think about. Rodgers means wins and a lot of them, even if we fail to win a SB. That's probably more appealing for Gute versus 5-6 wins with Jordan Love or some other unknown. 

You're assuming a LOT.  I still don't think they've given up on Love.  Folks are interpreting and assuming a lot.

I'm also thinking that if we don't WIN a Superb Owl after these moves that it's a huge fail.

I apologize that I don't find the koolaid very palatable.  I don't like speeding down a deadend street.

Bad business decision to crash your car without winning it all.  We just really disagree with the path we would take to get to the big game.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

You're assuming a LOT.  I still don't think they've given up on Love.  Folks are interpreting and assuming a lot.

I'm also thinking that if we don't WIN a Superb Owl after these moves that it's a huge fail.

I apologize that I don't find the koolaid very palatable.  I don't like speeding down a deadend street.

Bad business decision to crash your car without winning it all.  We just really disagree with the path we would take to get to the big game.

The trade window on Rodgers may not quite be closed. 

Here's the Corry piece: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-deciphering-aaron-rodgers-new-record-contract-and-what-it-means-for-the-quarterback-market/

What I don't know is the dead cap hits if we trade him before triggering the options ahead of the 2023 or 2024 seasons

4 minutes ago, British said:

The trade window on Rodgers may not quite be closed. 

Here's the Corry piece: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-deciphering-aaron-rodgers-new-record-contract-and-what-it-means-for-the-quarterback-market/

What I don't know is the dead cap hits if we trade him before triggering the options ahead of the 2023 or 2024 seasons

Rodgers Watch is dead. Clearly this staff is not trading Aaron. 

When I think about the state of the Packers today and how they're just letting a QB dictate the direction of the franchise, this old cartoon comes to mind how this show will play out over the next 3 seasons. The little dog is Murphy, Gute and MLF.  

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

When I think about the state of the Packers today and how they're just letting a QB dictate the direction of the franchise, this old cartoon comes to mind how this show will play out over the next 3 seasons. The little dog is Murphy, Gute and MLF.  

Well, if Rodgers is calling some shots, why not?

We had how many years of TT calling shots with young Rodgers and it got us nothing.

Gute reloaded and still we didn't get to the big game.

Might as well try it Rodger's way and see what happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rodgers Watch is dead. Clearly this staff is not trading Aaron. 

Agreed.

But it's also why they may not be trading Jordan Love either.

If Rodgers gets injured week 1, Love comes in, plays the season, looks great. They decide he is the future. They can trade Rodgers before the option bonus, take the 40m dead cap and the Packers use the picks to build around Love.

That's why if I'm Gute I don't trade Love for a 2nd rounder this offseason.

2 minutes ago, British said:

Agreed.

But it's also why they may not be trading Jordan Love either.

If Rodgers gets injured week 1, Love comes in, plays the season, looks great. They decide he is the future. They can trade Rodgers before the option bonus, take the 40m dead cap and the Packers use the picks to build around Love.

That's why if I'm Gute I don't trade Love for a 2nd rounder this offseason.

Love will rise. Love will be the future.

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Now you're talking my language. Have any Bugs Bunny ones?