Aaron Rodgers Extended

Abe56

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

"I'm excited to get a new deal done so I can stay here with my team and the fans.  We don't have a deal finalized yet so the numbers have to wait but its important to work the cap so we can get Davante to stay and shore up the team..."

That's one example of how a well adjusted person answers that question or reacts to NFL reporters breaking news. Rodgers instead lashed out like the galactic PoS that he is.

We don't pretend he is a turd He is just an actual turd.

Pot meet kettle!

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Darnold was god awful his first three seasons in New York.  And he might have been worse in Carolina.  Plus, he had 2 years of team control as opposed to Love's 3.  The only thing Darnold had shown up to that point was that he was an awful QB.  If he wasn't a former #3 overall pick, he wouldn't have fetched that.

I think a lot of people were married to their evaluations on Darnold and were willing to put his struggles down to Adam Gase. Remember he actually looked promising in year 1 and then had a bout of mono in year 2 that set him back but he showed some decent stuff at the end of that year only to fall off a cliff in 2020. But yeah, him fetching a high return was a product of the fact that it was < 3 years since a lot of the league was queueing up to trade their first born son to move up for him.

With Love, no one was that attached to drafting him 2 years ago. Nearly every team in the league passed on him and then the team that did take him haven’t indicated that he’s any good. I’d be shocked if anyone gave more than a 4th for him. 

37 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think a lot of people were married to their evaluations on Darnold and were willing to put his struggles down to Adam Gase. Remember he actually looked promising in year 1 and then had a bout of mono in year 2 that set him back but he showed some decent stuff at the end of that year only to fall off a cliff in 2020. But yeah, him fetching a high return was a product of the fact that it was < 3 years since a lot of the league was queueing up to trade their first born son to move up for him.

With Love, no one was that attached to drafting him 2 years ago. Nearly every team in the league passed on him and then the team that did take him haven’t indicated that he’s any good. I’d be shocked if anyone gave more than a 4th for him. 

You're still missing the point.  He was bad for 3 years and had 2 years of team control left.  Carolina traded what they did for him because he was the 3rd overall pick a few years prior.  At the end of the day, there's more teams that need QBs then there are QBs ready to fill spots.  Right now, we've got only Deshaun Watson as available starting QBs, plus whatever prospects teams might think can be their starting QB.  We have Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, Indianapolis (if they cut Wentz), and NY Giants that are probably all actively going to look to upgrade their QB position.  That doesn't even include Seattle who will likely be in that group.  You've got teams like Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, etc. that are probably in the QB market if the value is right.

13 hours ago, Ripline said:

Pot meet kettle!

Your analogy is stupid and pathetic.  What you actually did is to call me a name because I dared to have a different opinion than you on the internet.  If I have to explain the difference between me and a public figure working for a corporation that takes our money who uses antagonistic and inflammatory language then its because you are dangerously ignorant.

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

You're still missing the point.  He was bad for 3 years and had 2 years of team control left.  Carolina traded what they did for him because he was the 3rd overall pick a few years prior.  At the end of the day, there's more teams that need QBs then there are QBs ready to fill spots.  Right now, we've got only Deshaun Watson as available starting QBs, plus whatever prospects teams might think can be their starting QB.  We have Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, Indianapolis (if they cut Wentz), and NY Giants that are probably all actively going to look to upgrade their QB position.  That doesn't even include Seattle who will likely be in that group.  You've got teams like Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, etc. that are probably in the QB market if the value is right.

Let’s ignore the cost control point. You could have 6 or 8 or 10 years of cost control but that doesn’t matter if the QB is a turd. And remember, > half the league thought Love was a turd coming out of college. You don’t fall to the late 20’s if you’re highly rated around the league. Of those who actually liked him coming out, many will be turned off by the fact that GB has soured on him and that the small sample size wasn’t pretty. 

Remember what Paxton Lynch’s value was after year 2? Because I guarantee you the league sees Love as more of a Paxton Lynch/Brandon Weeden/EJ Manuel level player than they do a Darnold or a Rosen. Darnold and Rosen were legitimate top 10 prospects coming out so teams liked their chances to salvage them. Late first rounders just turn to worthless if they original team isn’t enamoured. 

I think you’re being selective by saying that Deshaun Watson is the *only* starting QB available. You can count Detroit/Minny/Atlanta out of the Love sweepstakes. I don’t think it’s impossible that those teams look into upgrading their QB, but there’s no way they’re swapping their proven average (or better) QB for Jordan Love.

So that leaves the six other teams that you mention. The Steelers, Panthers, Commanders, Colts, Giants and Steelers. Let’s add the Bucs to that group as well. So you’ve got 7 teams who are likely in the QB market.

Of those, you’ve got the following QBs to assign to them:

1. Deshaun Watson
  2. Jimmy Garoppolo 
  3. Carson Wentz (Will be at one of these teams, could be Indy)
  4. 3 or 4 first round picks
  5. Jameis Winston (probably going back to the Saints but if not you can add the Saints to the list and cross off whoever signs him) 
  6. Trubisky and Mariota are going to be signed somewhere to compete to start. Maybe Bridgewater too.

I also think that most of those teams already have a QB who is better than Love anyway. Only the Steelers and Commanders are teams that Love would likely start on. 

Giants have Daniel Jones who they still like. I think it’s more likely that they add Trubisky/Mariota to compete with him rather than going all out for a replacement 

Panthers have Darnold and they really want to make a big splash. It’ll either be Watson or a rookie for them.

Bucs have Gabbert and Kyle Trask. If they don’t go Wentz/Garoppolo then they most likely let those guys compete.

Steelers are probably going Trubisky/Mariota and a draft pick

I think you can both be right (sort of) on Love.

It could be that 27 teams don't think much of him but 4 of them do.

I have no idea if one of those 4 (or 6, whatever) needs a QB.

I also have no idea of any of those 4 love him (pun intended)

I think its fair to think of him as a rookie / draft pick with less control because he has not shown much on the field yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Let’s ignore the cost control point. You could have 6 or 8 or 10 years of cost control but that doesn’t matter if the QB is a turd. And remember, > half the league thought Love was a turd coming out of college. You don’t fall to the late 20’s if you’re highly rated around the league. Of those who actually liked him coming out, many will be turned off by the fact that GB has soured on him and that the small sample size wasn’t pretty. 

You can't just ignore cost control.  It's a SIGNIFICANT factor.  Do you think the Panthers would have given up as much as they did if Darnold was playing on his 5th year option?  Absolutely not.  This year, Sam Darnold is set to be the 15th highest paid QB by cap hit.  Last year, he was the 34th highest paid QB.  He was paid like a highly paid backup QB, not a franchise QB.  So you're giving up a SRP and hoping to get enough surplus value that you at least break even in terms of trade, and if he shows something you're probably signing him to a long-term deal which probably ends up being below-market value.  But now he's on his 5th year option and you're getting backup QB production.  That's poor value.  Same concept applies to Jordan Love, expect you get 2 years of rookie salary before your 5th year option comes into play.  If you think you can get good production out of Love, you cough up a SRP in a heartbeat because the surplus value is there.  And LIS, it goes back to your pre-draft evaluation much like it did with Sam Darnold.

15 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Remember what Paxton Lynch’s value was after year 2? Because I guarantee you the league sees Love as more of a Paxton Lynch/Brandon Weeden/EJ Manuel level player than they do a Darnold or a Rosen. Darnold and Rosen were legitimate top 10 prospects coming out so teams liked their chances to salvage them. Late first rounders just turn to worthless if they original team isn’t enamoured. 

I guess if using the exception is your way of arguing, sure.  But how many rookie FRPs get released after 2 years?

21 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think you’re being selective by saying that Deshaun Watson is the *only* starting QB available. You can count Detroit/Minny/Atlanta out of the Love sweepstakes. I don’t think it’s impossible that those teams look into upgrading their QB, but there’s no way they’re swapping their proven average (or better) QB for Jordan Love.

Maybe I should have been a bit more careful with my words.  He's the only one who is changing a franchise's fortune.  Of all the guys you've listed, none are making a non-contender a contender.  We've likely seen the best of all the veteran QBs, and this is an awful QB class.

Atlanta has been rumored to be interested in Jordan Love, but I don't think Green Bay would trade Love to Detroit or Minnesota unless the value is more then another team.

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Of those, you’ve got the following QBs to assign to them:

1. Deshaun Watson
  2. Jimmy Garoppolo 
  3. Carson Wentz (Will be at one of these teams, could be Indy)
  4. 3 or 4 first round picks
  5. Jameis Winston (probably going back to the Saints but if not you can add the Saints to the list and cross off whoever signs him) 
  6. Trubisky and Mariota are going to be signed somewhere to compete to start. Maybe Bridgewater too.

LIS, Watson is the only who changes the teams' outlook.  We've seen the best of Jimmy G with San Francisco, and he's a high-end game manager.  He needs a LOT of talent around him to look good, so his upside is limited.  Carson Wentz might have actually lost more value then when he was traded to Indianapolis, and he's getting older.  Odds are his best days are well behind him.  Really don't think there are 3 or 4 QBs worthy of going in the first round.  One, maybe two if you're optimistic.  Jameis Winston, Mitchell Trubisky, and Marcus Mariota are bridge QBs.  Nobody is signing them with the hope they're a franchise QB.  If you hate the '22 QB class, you're probably in the market for one of them.

26 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I also think that most of those teams already have a QB who is better than Love anyway. Only the Steelers and Commanders are teams that Love would likely start on. 

We know Daniel Jones is bad.  We know that Carson Wentz is bad.  We know that Sam Darnold is bad.  I'm not sure how you're going to say that you know that Love wouldn't upgrade over a mediocre QB when we don't even know what Jordan Love is.

28 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Giants have Daniel Jones who they still like. I think it’s more likely that they add Trubisky/Mariota to compete with him rather than going all out for a replacement 

Panthers have Darnold and they really want to make a big splash. It’ll either be Watson or a rookie for them.

Bucs have Gabbert and Kyle Trask. If they don’t go Wentz/Garoppolo then they most likely let those guys compete.

Steelers are probably going Trubisky/Mariota and a draft pick

Rumors already have the Giants going after Trubisky to push Daniel Jones.  I think this is the last year of Daniel Jones, and he's going to need to really show something otherwise the Giants are back in the QB market in the '23 draft.  Sam Darnold was benched because of mediocre play and wasn't given a long-term extension.  He's not their QBOTF.  Watson, rookie, or Jordan Love are their only options.  I think Bucs are a more win-now QB, so Gabbert and/or Wentz make more sense.  Not sure Steelers are going to trip over themselves with Trubisky/Mariota as their QB.  Again, there's more QB spots to fill then actual QBs.