Russell Wilson traded to Broncos for Noah Fant, Shelby Harris, Drew Lock, two 1sts, two 2nds

MikeT14

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Interesting re: PHI.

Eh not really surprised. Our FO has loved Russ since he was drafted(it was widely reported the Eagles were prepping to take him but Seattle beat us to it). Howie does his due diligence on everyone always as well. Also not surprised Russ wouldn't wave his no trade clause for us as well. Seems like he kinda picked Denver.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Okay, but even by your criteria, Sutton's last two years (19' + 21' bc he missed 20) still aren't nearly as good as Metcalf's last two years (20' + 21').

Again, this is understandable because his QB situation was worse, but if we are willing to ignore 14 TDs and 300+ yards and 25 receptions over the last two seasons due to QB play, we might as well make Brandin Cooks a top 5 WR while we are at it. 

I am specifically responding to the take of Sutton > Metcalf, but I'll bite because I definitely agree with @FrantikRam that I'm taking a gap in WR1 + WR2 over a gap in WR3 almost always. 

I like Tim Patrick (especially as a WR3), but there's 0 chance I'm downgrading my WR1 and WR2 to get him. 

Yet Sutton put up really strong numbers with a sub-par QB. Do you think that shouldn't change with better QB play ?? I do still think DK is a great WR, just let's see how good he is with Drew Lock as his new QB

Any Broncos fans (or rival AFC West fans) have a take on the 3 players?

• Fant is probably the best known of the 3 and looks pretty good.
  • I know Lock had his struggles in limited play time.
  • I don't know much about Harris at all.

2 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Yet Sutton put up really strong numbers with a sub-par QB. Do you think that shouldn't change with better QB play ?? I do still think DK is a great WR, just let's see how good he is with Drew Lock as his new QB

He might.

And if he does, he'll have an argument over DK.

Edited by Soggust
can't decide what i want to say

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Harris is the best get of the bunch. Very good interior rusher and holds his own in the run game.

Fant has been hurt but can put up numbers when you actually throw him the ball. 

lock wouldn't start over Nathan Peterman

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Eh not really surprised. Our FO has loved Russ since he was drafted(it was widely reported the Eagles were prepping to take him but Seattle beat us to it). Howie does his due diligence on everyone always as well. Also not surprised Russ wouldn't wave his no trade clause for us as well. Seems like he kinda picked Denver.

Howie wanted a SB winning QB in round 3. He got grabbed(75) so he got a different SB winning QB(88) in round 3. Props to Howie.

FY, Brandon Brooks(76) went with the pick after Russell Wilson. I love you 2012 round 3!

Edited by SkippyX

7 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Shelby Harris is the best player of the three imo, he's also a really good person. He is probably at the tail end of his career at this point though.

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

He might.

And if he does, he'll have an argument over DK.

Not sure why this WR comparison is so intriguing to that Rams fan (some just HAS to be right ?), I'm just looking to see what return Wilson for the offense as a whole

8 hours ago, ACO said:

Agreed. They will draft another TE. It was crucial to keep that WR core together and they did. 

Can see a TE on the draft, but not sure how high.

Denver still need more Edge (starter and depth, even if Von comes back, we need more), A ILB (Bobby Wagner follows Russ?), a starting RT, slot CB and now a replacement for Shelby.

Paton more likely to pick a TE in day 3 rather day 2 (Jelani Woods or Connor Heyward please me a lot)

Just now, Cutler06 said:

Not sure why this WR comparison is so intriguing to that Rams fan (some just HAS to be right ?), I'm just looking to see what return Wilson for the offense as a whole

I don't think it's a shot at the Broncos. I think it came up because there is thought that - If Russell leaves an environment where he has a very good WR core for lesser, will he be the same player?

I think it's a fair question to ask, but I don't think there is need for concern. They may not be as good a WR core as Seattle, but they certainly aren't bums and they might end up just as good or even better with Wilson.

This thread made me realize I don’t think a ton of people actually watched Denver last year if they’re calling Javonte Average to Below Average. Dude was Top 20 in total scrimmage yards playing 2nd fiddle most games. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Fant has battled injuries.  Bigger issue is his blocking has never improved but instead regressed.    It’s why many fans were happy to see him go.   Albert O may be “just” a move TE but he’s got a much higher ceiling in that role.  

Harris is very valuable.   But dunno at age 30 what he brings long term.   Gotta think SEA might sell him for more picks later.   At his best very disruptive.  But needs to be the Robin to someone else.

Lock has elusive mobility.  And a gunslinger mentality.    The problem is he doesn’t have elite arm talent, doesn’t make quick reads and has terrible footwork vs. pressure.  And these flaws haven’t changed in 3 seasons.   It results in TO worthy plays and failed opps time and again.    Worse is he often misses open guys and definitely fails to Put the ball where YAC is possible.   And he needs to see the guy open to pull the trigger.    

Maybe someone else can find the answer but the flat learning curve is the most damning aspect.   And because he needs a ton of reps to get better - he’s not really backup QB materiel.   If he can’t win the starter job learning from the bench isn’t going to make him carve out a long career.   Can’t really say I think much of his chances.   

To be clear - QB (compounded by a bad OC with terrible HC game management) was 100 percent the problem with Denver’s O.    It’s why we’re so excited to have Wilson.  Along with the change in HC/OC it’s literally the missing piece to unlock the O.    It’s also no doubt why ARod considered DEN and Wilson only wanted to waive his no-trade clause for DEN.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

This thread made me realize I don’t think a ton of people actually watched Denver last year if they’re calling Javonte Average to Below Average. Dude was Top 20 in total scrimmage yards playing 2nd fiddle most games. 

As a Javonte fantasy owner the kid is legit

• Like 1