Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We could also get a 3rd back from all of this. By trading for Wentz instead of signing a free agent QB we could be in play for a 3rd round comp pick for Scherff. 

Bit of a reach but this crossed my mind too ! We'll see. 

• Like 1

What seems to have happened here was something relatively akin to this:

You are my neighbor. I see you outside, cleaning out your car. I come over to check it out, at which point you tell me that you’re going to sell it because it let you down last winter and you don’t trust it with your kids and wife anymore. Plus, you owe a bunch of huge MVA fees and there are more large fees coming due in a couple weeks, so it’s pretty much got to go now. Just to get rid of it, you’re planning to drop it off at Goodwill and let them sell it for whatever they can get shortly if no one takes it off your hands before then. 

I say “well hey now, I really need a car and I used to really want one just like that. I’ve seen you struggling with it the last couple years, but I think I can fix it up better than those good mechanics you’ve taken it to. I’d like to buy it before you dump it at Goodwill for just anyone to purchase.”

And then we get to negotiating. 

And when it’s all said and done, you’ve gotten me to agree to pay not just the fees that were coming due but also the fees you already owed. You’ve also gotten me to pay you the fair market price for the car, and I’ve also agreed that if I use the car a fair amount in the next year, I’ll come back and give you even more money. And just as a little seal-the-deal cherry on top, you also get me to agree that I’ll swap my more valuable toolset for your cheaper set. 

For a little context, I decided to make this deal despite the fact that the guy down the street is also going to be getting rid of an extremely similar car very soon. Also despite the fact that there are several cars about to come to auction that aren’t quite as nice but will be much cheaper. And despite the fact that soon the shiny new models will be released, and though they’ll be more expensive initially, the fees and maintenance costs will be much lower.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We could also get a 3rd back from all of this. By trading for Wentz instead of signing a free agent QB we could be in play for a 3rd round comp pick for Scherff. 

Had crossed my mind as well, but it still requires us to stay away from any meaningful FA additions. Would feel like a crying shame to sit out these absurdly deep WR/FS free agent classes because we felt like we had to recoup a 2023 3rd. 

1 minute ago, MacDog said:

I am going on the record as I like the deal. I think Carson will play well for us and be well liked leader in the locker room. I think Terry will thrive, and we will make playoffs with 10 or 11 wins.

That's all without seeing what else we do in FA and draft.

As long as we don't do something really stupid.

Kudos for standing up man ! So much negativity makes it hard to be the one . 

Oddball Negative Waves GIF - Oddball Negative Waves GIFs

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

Had crossed my mind as well, but it still requires us to stay away from any meaningful FA additions. Would feel like a crying shame to sit out these absurdly deep WR/FS free agent classes because we felt like we had to recoup a 2023 3rd. 

well Cooper might be cut and Wagner is a cut so they don't count.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Kudos for standing up man ! So much negativity makes it hard to be the one . 

Oddball Negative Waves GIF - Oddball Negative Waves GIFs

Thanks man.

It is probably a little selfish on my part as well, because I can now sleep easily about the QB situation.

They can draft a Corral or Willis to groom and it is no big deal. Even smart planning.

But I do think Carson will do very well here with Scott and Ron.

You guys are going to catch a lot of poop for this. Its clearly a desperation move. 

That said, Wentz is very likely to have the best season at QB for your commies since rookie RG3. You did improve. But this will be QB purgatory. Its not great, but who knows, the talent is there. Maybe he gets in therapy and fixes his horrific attitude? 

• Like 1

Stupid question because I don't have the #s in front of me. But I see that this takes up almost all of our current cap space. But does it really for 2022?

I ask because the new year hasn't started yet. So the increase in the cap hasn't been applied. So IIRC we will have another 25m or 28m in cap space once the 2022 cap is raised (I believe it increases something like that). 

Now, that is all relative because every other team's cap increases the same amount. But still, if I have the #s right, that's something to consider.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

You guys are going to catch a lot of poop for this. Its clearly a desperation move. 

That said, Wentz is very likely to have the best season at QB for your commies since rookie RG3. You did improve. But this will be QB purgatory. Its not great, but who knows, the talent is there. Maybe he gets in therapy and fixes his horrific attitude? 

I mean, Kirk did have a number of good years to be fair. The defense was a hot mess. 

• Like 1

Let me add this to try to cancel out some of the negativity. 

At one time, back in 2017, I thought Carson Wentz was the single most valuable asset in the entire NFL. Between his youth, years of team control, obvious talent, and seemingly unlimited ceiling, I figured he was going to be a superstar. If you’d told me then that Carson Wentz was going to be the opening day starter for the Washington Redskins in 2022, I would have been puzzled but absolutely thrilled. He was genuinely exceptional as a 2nd year QB, right up until his knee blew out on him.  

Obviously, a lot’s happened since then. We aren’t the Redskins anymore. And he isn’t really Carson Wentz anymore, not like he was at that point anyway. But a lot of that talent is still in there, obviously, and it seems like much more of a mental/psychological issue with him than a physical one. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere — what you can do physically sets the ceiling. This guy can move a little bit, is tough to bring down in the pocket, and can make all the throws. If somehow they find a way to put his Humpty-Dumpty head back together, maybe he can get back on the trajectory that pretty much everyone saw him on those several years ago. At least that’s something to hope for, I guess. 

• Like 2

I too - am going on record in favor of this trade. How many times do we need the door shut in our face before we realize that we are not a destination wedding for QBS? Lost out on M. Stafford, R. Wilson, and etc.... for crying out loud, our own draft picks don't want to come here (ala Kirk Cousins). 

The draft capital is minimal in my eyes for a QB, the market for these resources are high. The cap hit is a function of our organization, we would not have landed a QB in free agency. I think this could be a nice situation for Carson.

• Like 1