Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Unfortunately most other teams will likely see it that way too making finding a trade partner difficult.  Only takes one though.

Agreed. 

The key is there being a player there good enough to draw that kind of investment from another team. I’ve typically been assuming Pickett or Willis would be the main one to get people to move. Maybe Hamilton or Sauce if they fall (though probably we should just take them)? Maybe a DE (if Thibodeaux or Walker falls that far)? Maybe one of the top 3-4 OTs? Maybe the top WR? Maybe Stingley if he slays it at his Pro Day? Maybe Jordan Davis if someone sees him as a transcendent talent?

Not sure. But like you said, it only takes one team/player connection to get them to pay the piper. 

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The draft, a new starting QB and an easier schedule.

Martin Mayhew has a terrible draft history. His co-GMs are basically the same. These guys cannot rely solely on the draft. And last years draft should tell you that as well. 

Just now, MacDog said:

We got a lot better today; you just don't know it yet.

A team with no QB at all who’s head coach was with Wentz during his best years just gave up on him. Mind you, they did this all while giving up the 16th pick in this years draft and a third rounder in last years draft. Do you really think we know more about Wentz than they do? Really? 

This thread reminds me so much of the Alex Smith trade thread. I was very negative in that thread as well. We had people in that thread who swore we got one over on Andy Reid and Alex Smith was now a down-field passer and yadda yadda yadda. Wentz has been bad for like 4 years now. If he was going to get better it would’ve happened with Reich in Indy. He is what he is and our desperate headcoach paid a premium for him. Defending this move is absurd. It’s just like all the other dumb moves this team has made.

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

A team with no QB at all who’s head coach was with Wentz during his best years just gave up on him. Mind you, they did this all while giving up the 16th pick in this years draft and a third rounder in last years draft. Do you really think we know more about Wentz than they do? Really? 

Irsay gave up on him. (an alcoholic spoiled man child who had an emotional tantrum when they lost to Jax.)

Means nothing to me actually.

Their loss, our gain.

People hate Wentz over the Vacc, but more evidence comes out daily that he was right. Don't care about that stuff either.

Guy can throw the football and play football at a high level. Just needs his risk assessment programming g recalibrated a little.

The womany gossip stuff and drama doesn't move the needle for me. Reich isn't the end all be all of football even if it were true.

I remember the same argument being made to me on ES, telling me Calais Campbell's own college coach didn't want Skins to draft him, so I must be wrong. I wasn't.

We got stuck with Malcomb Kelly and Devin Thomas instead.

Edited by MacDog

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This thread reminds me so much of the Alex Smith trade thread.

definitely. Said something earlier to that

I was very negative in that thread as well.

that didn’t narrow down much lol

We had people in that thread who swore we got one over on Andy Reid and Alex Smith was now a down-field passer and yadda yadda yadda.

when it was just third it wasn’t bad. When we heard fuller chaos. I don’t remember more people liking it than not liking it though. Selling it as a hope when we knew it was Bruce trying to save his job was hilarious

My initial reaction is that I surprisingly don't hate this move. This isn't the Alex Smith or Donovan McNabb trades. If anything it's akin to Alex Smith starting his career on the Kansas City Chiefs. Carson has 12 games to prove if he's the guy. If we aren't in contention then, I'd suggest sitting him because that high future second rounder would be the most valuable part of the trade.

The thing that worries me is what they do at #11 now. My gut tells me they are going to try to prove this trade was a success by drafting a big WR like Treylon Burks or Drake London when they'll be better players on the board. 

• Like 1