Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

31 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I would, it allows us to add pieces this year and honestly I think he stays around at least next year. Especially if we draft a guy in 22 or 23. I’m ok with having to take a small amount in dead cap in 2024 if he’s cut…

Yup. Unless he completely craps the bed this year, this is a 2 year deal, minimum, for him. Which means that the dead cap for him if we part ways in Year 3 is only $6.5m

After thinking about this overnight and continuing to read through articles this morning, I dislike this deal more and more.  

It is telling that Wentz former QB coach went to bat for him last off-season, and had the team trade a first round pick for him, move to the point that the GM was ready to move on after only one season.  Hell, one of the lines picked up was that Colts GM Chris Ballard seemed resigned to moving on from Wentz to the point of cutting him based off an interview at the combine last week.  

From Athletic’s Colts insider, leadership concerns existed about Wentz in Philadelphia, and they “mushroomed” in Indy.  The team also questioned his reaction to hard coaching and felt his “reckless play” contributed to losses.  They were possibly going to cut Wentz because of that, and they moved on without regaining the first round pick, they do not have an in-house starter behind Wentz and they do not have a first round pick to draft his replacement.  

And this is the guy that Rivera, who is all about leadership and accountability, is staking his future on?  After striking out on Matthew Stafford and Russell Wilson?  

This is not the Alex Smith trade, where we are getting a mid-30’s veteran who proved he could still play and was being moved off the top spot because a highly-touted draft choice was ready after serving a one year internship.  This is a guy who has an injury history, and has off-field concerns and is going to a franchise that does not have the best track record in dealing with players who have off-field and leadership concerns.  

This is just another move in a long line of moves made by coaches and executives designed to hold onto their job, not make the best move in the best interest of the franchise.  This is beyond frustrating, and is I evaluate my desire to hold both of my football and baseball season tickets, I am going to further evaluate whether I will continue to support this franchise or just watch games where I have either fantasy implications or UGA player implications. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather be able to cut Wentz after one season here and then draft a QB round 1 next year than to restructure his contract and be stuck with him for a few more years. 

We should cut Landon Collins & extend Flowers to create more space.

The contract length doesn't change. All it does is push 2022 money into 2023 and 2024 via conversion to a bonus. The money is already spent. We're just allocating it differently. And doing that does not preclude us from getting the QB next year if we need to. We want that 1st rounder to sit a bit anyway, so you'll need a veteran QB to be on the roster in his first year. That would be Wentz' Year 2.

Like it or not, Carson (barring a freak Fitzpatrick or Smith injury) is now here for at least 2 years. If we REALLY want a guy in FA, the moves are easy to make and this is the easiest one I can see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The contract length doesn't change. All it does is push 2022 money into 2023 and 2024 via conversion to a bonus. The money is already spent. We're just allocating it differently. And doing that does not preclude us from getting the QB next year if we need to. We want that 1st rounder to sit a bit anyway, so you'll need a veteran QB to be on the roster in his first year. That would be Wentz' Year 2.

We don't need to do any of that.  Just keep his contract as is. 

We already have a veteran QB on the roster who knows the playbook better than Wentz.  Heinicke could be the "mentor" QB if we needed one. 

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Like it or not, Carson (barring a freak Fitzpatrick or Smith injury) is here for at least 2 years. If we REALLY want a guy in FA, the moves are easy to make and this is the easiest one I can see.

I don't agree at all.  If he flames out this year we just cut him. 

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And this is the guy that Rivera, who is all about leadership and accountability, is staking his future on?

We're not staking anything on Carson Wentz.  This is a flyer.  If he works he works.  If not we move on. 

For what it's worth. Yesterday, shortly before the trade, we figured out what initially drove a wedge between Carson and the Eagles.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/9/22968823/carson-wentz-voiced-his-displeasure-eagles-success-to-other-injured-players-during-super-bowl-run

But it was the torn ACL that ended his 2017 season and denied him the Super Bowl run that revealed character defects and affected him in certain corners of the locker room.

Sometime before the championship game, Wentz voiced his displeasure with the Eagles’ success to a group of other injured players, sources with direct knowledge of the incident said. One of the players immediately confronted him and the two eventually had to be separated.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

We're not staking anything on Carson Wentz.  This is a flyer.  If he works he works.  If not we move on. 

This takes us from being $30 million plus over the cap to $2.9 million over the cap.  We are going to have to do some accounting work just to sign draft picks, and that involves shifting that guaranteed money to future seasons. 

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

This takes us from being $30 million plus over the cap to $2.9 million over the cap.  We are going to have to do some accounting work just to sign draft picks.  

We can easily make cap space.  And honestly we're in much better position from this trade than we would have been from the Russell Wilson trade.  With Wilson we would of had no cap AND no draft picks.  This way we can still draft talent to add to the roster. 

In poker terms, this was not an all in move.  We made a min raise. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Still anger. Hoping for the draft to come sooner so we can draft a guy in the 2nd and pretend like he has a future. 

What's going to piss me off even more is next season when we don't have a second round pick and still are in the hunt for a QB because Wentz probably won't be on the team.