Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

30 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The only thing about that is, who are you going to get that is as good or better than Rivera? Washington has become a pariah in the NFL. Without a ton of money as an incentive, no one is willingly coming here

He’s not going to be fired.  Lavar posts that everything is going to get Rivera fired.

• Like 1

Not sure if I missed it but I just read this on another site I can't link to and it is an obvious thing for us to do to clear up cap space post-Wentz trade.

We will have only $5.9m before any moves. @e16bballpreviously mentioned some moves we could make (cut Collins, rework Flowers, etc...).

But a BIG one we can do right now is very simple and doesn't require anyone else to say "yes".

You simple convert Carson's $28m cap hit into a signing bonus and roster bonus. That itself frees up at least $13m (because you still have to pay him part of the bonus and a $2.5m salary).

The money is already spent. We are just using an accounting gimmick to move it around. Now, it DOES create some dead cap in Years 2 and/or 3 if we end up getting rid of him after Year 1 or Year 2, but I think it's unlikely we don't at least have him for 2 years. So then in Year 3 his dead cap is only about $6.5m

Just something to think about. We can still sign some of the guys we want to sign in FA and only need to convert his salary to bonus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not sure if I missed it but I just read this on another site I can't link to and it is an obvious thing for us to do to clear up cap space post-Wentz trade.

We will have only $5.9m before any moves. @e16bballpreviously mentioned some moves we could make (cut Collins, rework Flowers, etc...).

But a BIG one we can do right now is very simple and doesn't require anyone else to say "yes".

You simple convert Carson's $28m cap hit into a signing bonus and roster bonus. That itself frees up at least $13m (because you still have to pay him part of the bonus and a $2.5m salary).

The money is already spent. We are just using an accounting gimmick to move it around. Now, it DOES create some dead cap in Years 2 and 3 if we end up getting rid of him after Year 1, but I think it's unlikely we don't at least have him for 2 years. So then in Year 3 his dead cap is only about $6.5m

Just something to think about. We can still sign some of the guys we want to sign in FA and only need to convert his salary to bonus.

And EB from the Junkies is posting that Landon Collins is getting cut soon. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Not really.  He put up big stats but crapped the bed in games all the time.

So you’re telling me there similar?

I will say that Kirk has a playoff victory while Wentz doesn’t.

Edited by turtle28

16 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The money is already spent. We are just using an accounting gimmick to move it around. Now, it DOES create some dead cap in Years 2 and/or 3 if we end up getting rid of him after Year 1 or Year 2, but I think it's unlikely we don't at least have him for 2 years. So then in Year 3 his dead cap is only about $6.5m

I wouldn’t do it. I’d rather have the ability to move on from Wentz after one year if he’s not good this year. I’d restructure/extend other guys we want to keep around like Flowers etc and I’d cut Collins with a June 1st designation.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I was just about to post how we could create space.

with deshazor everett when cut or even if he stays and doesn’t play we save about 2 mill so that takes us around 7.9 mil in space total

from there a restructure of the Wentz contract (which he has no say over) could create another 13 mill bringing our cap to around 20.9 mill

if you add an extension to flowers and a restructure of Collins that could add another 10 mill to our cap space. Unless we cut Collins which we would save 6 mill plus whatever we save with a flowers extension

all in all with those moves we could have 30 mill in space to be able to add to the team/resign some of our own.

If we do in fact make those moves then I think we could add a star FA and some good pieces around the team before heading into the draft.

we aren’t a team that you see do a lot of restructures at all so normally when we see our cap space we think that’s all we have. But now we see the contract options we have

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Looking for "positives" . In 4 of his 6 seasons as a starter he's thrown 7 interceptions . Just 7 -that ain't a bad thing ! AND he slings it- I don't think he's considered a "Check-down" guy . 

He’s a solid QB, top half of the league starter. He’s not a QB who’s going to carry a team to many victories just on his play alone. They’re still going to need the defense to be top 10 & to have a good/great running game if they want to get to the playoffs and win a playoff game for the first time since 2005-06.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I wouldn’t do it. I’d rather have the ability to move on from Wentz after one year if he’s not good this year. I’d restructure/extend other guys we want to keep around like Flowers etc and I’d cut Collins with a June 1st designation.

I would, it allows us to add pieces this year and honestly I think he stays around at least next year. Especially if we draft a guy in 22 or 23. I’m ok with having to take a small amount in dead cap in 2024 if he’s cut…

1 minute ago, LoganF89 said:

I was just about to post how we could create space.

With deshazor everett when cut or even if he stays and doesn’t play we save about 2 mill so that takes us around 7.9 mil in space total

From there a restructure of the Wentz contract (which he has no say over) could create another 13 mill bringing our cap to around 20.9 mill

If you add an extension to flowers and a restructure of Collins that could add another 10 mill to our cap space. Unless we cut Collins which we would save 6 mill plus whatever we save with a flowers extension

All in all with those moves we could have 30 mill in space to be able to add to the team/resign some of our own.

If we do in fact make those moves then I think we could add a star FA and some good pieces around the team before heading into the draft.

We aren’t a team that you see do a lot of restructures at all so normally when we see our cap space we think that’s all we have. But now we see the contract options we have

I’d rather be able to cut Wentz after one season here and then draft a QB round 1 next year than to restructure his contract and be stuck with him for a few more years. 

We should cut Landon Collins & extend Flowers to create more space.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d rather be able to cut Wentz after one season here and then draft a QB round 1 next year than to restructure his contract and be stuck with him for a few more years. 

Doing that doesn't make the latter necessary. It just helps this year now. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

We should cut Landon Collins & extend Flowers to create more space.

QB next year ? How ? we might make the Playoffs- PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!!! and be drafting in the 20s range. Anothe trade up scenerio . I'd rather take a guy this year if one of "our" guys is there  .

12 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

QB next year ? How ? we might make the Playoffs- PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!!! and be drafting in the 20s range. Anothe trade up scenerio . I'd rather take a guy this year if one of "our" guys is there  .

I don’t see us drafting a QB now. Our QBs will be Wentz, Heinicke & Kyle Allen will be the #3.

We’ll be lucky to make the playoffs. I don’t trust Wentz to be consistent & make the routine decisions to move the chains and move the ball down the field. He plays hero ball too much and thinks he can play like Mahomes, there’s only one Mahomes!

I expect Wentz to not throw balls away, to take awful 20 plus yard sacks and to make some awful decisions throwing it downfield into double coverage when there’s something open w/in 10 yards that will move the chains. That’s his MO, that’s part of the reasons he’s not playing in Philly or Indy anymore, I don’t think it will change. 

Expect an underhand interception or a left handed thrown ball that’s intercepted and newsflash, he’s not left handed. 😂 

Edited by turtle28