Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean, Kirk did have a number of good years to be fair. The defense was a hot mess. 

Fair counter point. I think Wentz is clearly more talented/naturally gifted than Kirk, but Kirk is a stat monster so thats not reflected in the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Let me add this to try to cancel out some of the negativity. 

At one time, back in 2017, I thought Carson Wentz was the single most valuable asset in the entire NFL. Between his youth, years of team control, obvious talent, and seemingly unlimited ceiling, I figured he was going to be a superstar. If you’d told me then that Carson Wentz was going to be the opening day starter for the Washington Redskins in 2022, I would have been puzzled but absolutely thrilled. He was genuinely exceptional as a 2nd year QB, right up until his knee blew out on him.  

Obviously, a lot’s happened since then. We aren’t the Redskins anymore. And he isn’t really Carson Wentz anymore, not like he was at that point anyway. But a lot of that talent is still in there, obviously, and it seems like much more of a mental/psychological issue with him than a physical one. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere — what you can do physically sets the ceiling. This guy can move a little bit, is tough to bring down in the pocket, and can make all the throws. If somehow they find a way to put his Humpty-Dumpty head back together, maybe he can get back on the trajectory that pretty much everyone saw him on those several years ago. At least that’s something to hope for, I guess. 

Taking my above comment as context, Wentz will never, ever, ever, ever be fluke 2017 Wentz again. That season was basically a magical combination of every single thing going right. Which should be highlighted by mediocre Foles out playing GOAT Tom Brady and MVP Matt Ryan. 

That wasnt a fair representation of his contribution.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

So some quick hitter first thoughts on this: 

- Do I think Wentz will be some amazing QB for us?  No. 

- Is a 29 year old QB with high draft pedigree who's shown some promise in the league worth a shot?  Ya probably. 

- Did we give up a kings ransom for him?  No we did not. 

- Does this keep us from drafting a QB at 11 if we want to?  No I believe we can still take a QB at 11 if we want. 

- Does this keep us from drafting a QB in the first next year? Absolutely not. 

- Is he a better starter for us than Heinicke this year?  Ya probably. 

I came in here to be a nice guy and offer my condolences, but you actually make some good points here.  Maybe it won't be as bad as it initially sounded.  I hope it works out for you.  You Commander fans have been through enough.

1 minute ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

It’s a very dangerous game to go on the record as liking this deal because I promise you I will mercilessly bump this thread if he sucks 

Fair enough. Are you willing to make a prediction either way, or have you already?

5 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

What type of prediction? We won’t make the playoffs and still have a giant hole at QB that we’ll need to fill with less picks next year?

I guess that qualifies. A little weak because I could easily see someone weaseling out of it with "sure we made the playoff but it was our defense..." or "Well statistically it looks like Carson played well, but he is 30 and he was injured for 2 weeks so we still have huge hole to fill there!"

Because that is what the internet does.

But I will accept the arrows if this goes south.

I still hold myself accountable for thinking Joey Herrington was a sure thing franchise QB, and temper my many correct predictions with that knowledge.

I’ll also say, I completely agree with @lavar703 that it would be asinine to pick a QB in this draft now. Before the late rounds, I mean. 

You don’t give up this quantity of assets and agree to pay a guy $28M to be a placeholder or a one-year rental. That would be so painfully wasteful and inefficient that I can’t imagine even this team would consider it a good idea. 

To me, this level of investment means that for at least 2022, the team’s goal is and should be to try to win with Carson Wentz and see how it goes. That means using whatever assets we have left, both money and draft picks, to build as strong a roster as possible around him to properly evaluate him and try to figure out whether we can actually win meaningfully with him. 

As I’ve said before, formulate a plan and commit to it. In order to give it the best chance to succeed. Using all these assets to get Wentz won’t help a rookie become a winner, and using the best remaining asset (pick 11) on a rookie won’t help Wentz win. Hedging your bets, in this scenario, undercuts both plans.

• Like 2