Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

Just now, lavar703 said:

The value is the equivalent of a fourth round pick. It was stupid. I feel like the Colts just let Rivera do the talking and sat there amazed at what he offered. Just unbelievable that one of the thirds is going to become a second. Just a bonehead move. My lord. 

I agree, I think they could/should have gotten better terms. I just think Rivera and co. were tired of getting burned, rejected, then laughed at afterward, and did what they had to do close the deal.

All the people who love mocking them missing out because they didn't treat draft picks like free candy to give away, should probably accept they factored into this. But they won't, because that would take some self reflection.

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Again. What else were they going to do?  

Wait till they cut him and sign him. Wait till the Niners cut Jimmy G and sign him. Sign one of these lower-level (also talented former top-2 pick) dopes like Mariota or Winston or Trubisky for 1/3 of the cost. Draft your favorite QB available in the draft. 

But what you don’t do is give up significant assets for the right to land a bottom-tier starter on a 3/$81M deal. That’s not a good option. All those other options are better. Much better. 

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

Wait till they cut him and sign him. Wait till the Niners cut Jimmy G and sign him. Sign one of these lower-level (also talented former top-2 pick) dopes like Mariota or Winston or Trubisky for 1/3 of the cost. Draft your favorite QB available in the draft. 

But what you don’t do is give up significant assets for the right to land a bottom-tier starter on a 3/$81M deal. That’s not a good option. All those other options are better. Much better. 

This is what happens when you make your 3-winning seasons in 12 years headcoach team president. He made this deal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

For what reason? You don’t give up a 2nd, 3rd, $28M in cap space and swap seconds which is the equivalent of a fourth for a one year rental. This is their guy. 

I don't buy that if (when) it doesn't work out. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

“two draft picks” — a fine way to gloss over them being a 3rd and likely a 2nd.

Which is......two draft picks. 

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

”a minor pick swap” — that sounds a great deal better than another 4th-round pick’s worth of value.

Ya. 5 spots down.  Not a big deal. 

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

”[nothing about the salary]” — not really a great way to spin us going from $30M+ in available cap space to less than $3M in one fell swoop.

We can make more cap space easily, teams do it all of the time.  In the event he doesn't work out there are zero guaranteed dollars on his contract after this season, and in the event he does work out $28 mil is reasonable for a starting QB. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

“we can just draft a QB next year” — sounds excellent, except we’ll probably be mediocre again next year, and now we won’t even have our 2nd round pick to help trade up.

Not every QB goes in the Top 5. 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Hang onto that tweet. Let's see how many of these experts @ making mocking statements from the sidelines will own how wrong they were if Carson has a really good season for us.

Edited by MacDog