Commanders trade for Carson Wentz - 2022 3rd/2023 3rd (or 2nd)/swap 2nd rounders 2022

MikeT14

6 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Trade down & recoup the picks we traded for wentz. Won't be hard to do.

Rework Wentz, Flowers & Collins deals. Create cap space.

Be aggressive in FA.

Why would we trade down? You can sit at 11 and pick Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Burks or London. Anybody who really believes this is a one-year rental is fooling themselves. This is their guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’ll also say, I completely agree with @lavar703 that it would be asinine to pick a QB in this draft now. Before the late rounds, I mean. 

You don’t give up this quantity of assets and agree to pay a guy $28M to be a placeholder or a one-year rental. That would be so painfully wasteful and inefficient that I can’t imagine even this team would consider it a good idea. 

To me, this level of investment means that for at least 2022, the team’s goal is and should be to try to win with Carson Wentz and see how it goes. That means using whatever assets we have left, both money and draft picks, to build as strong a roster as possible around him to properly evaluate him and try to figure out whether we can actually win meaningfully with him. 

As I’ve said before, formulate a plan and commit to it. In order to give it the best chance to succeed. Using all these assets to get Wentz won’t help a rookie become a winner, and using the best remaining asset (pick 11) on a rookie won’t help Wentz win. Hedging your bets, in this scenario, undercuts both plans.

I was still in the camp that we could still draft a Corral or Willis at 11, but this makes more sense to me.

Going WR, MLB, FS or CB in round 1 makes more sense now.

We could get a really good player there, but will save that for the appropriate draft thread.

Just want to point out that if you’re “re-working” someone’s deal, that typically involves taking non-guaranteed money they’re currently owed and making it guaranteed. In order to spread out the cap hit over future years. 

In other words, if you re-work his deal this year, you lose the ability to get out of it with no cap harm in the future. So if you’re doing that, you need to be prepared to commit to him longer-term than the “if it doesn’t work, we can get out of it and no harm done” crowd has previously been inclined to do. 

Unless we insisted that he take a pay cut — and what a Washington way to start out a relationship with a new franchise QB — that number is only coming down if they’re willing to make more of a future commitment to him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MacDog said:

Assuming they hadn't already spoken to Carson and his agent before the trade to see about re-working his deal to something more cap friendly for this season.

We have to assume they did, that’s a heck of a lot of money for Carson Wentz. There’s still some salary fat to trim around the roster. I think they have some carry over money coming thier way too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Why would we trade down? You can sit at 11 and pick Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Burks or London. Anybody who really believes this is a one-year rental is fooling themselves. This is their guy. 

Just now, e16bball said:

Just want to point out that if you’re “re-working” someone’s deal, that typically involves taking non-guaranteed money they’re currently owed and making it guaranteed. In order to spread out the cap hit over future years. 

In other words, if you re-work his deal this year, you lose the ability to get out of it with no cap harm in the future. So if you’re doing that, you need to be prepared to commit to him longer-term than the “if it doesn’t work, we can get out of it and no harm done” crowd has previously been inclined to do. 

Unless we insisted that he take a pay cut — and what a Washington way to start out a relationship with a new franchise QB — that number is only coming down if they’re willing to make more of a future commitment to him. 

Correct to both.

He has 3 more years left on his deal, so the thought of him being a one year rental always seemed foolish to me.

I would suspect the new deal would be extended to 4 or 5 years and be more cap friendly, with more guaranteed money.

Just now, MacDog said:

I was still in the camp that we could still draft a Corral or Willis at 11, but this makes more sense to me.

Going WR, MLB, FS or CB in round 1 makes more sense now.

We could get a really good player there, but will save that for the appropriate draft thread.

This is my thought. 

I would actually look to trade down and recoup a pick. Loads of quality WRs or maybe even both of the top ILBs available in the late teens and twenties. Perhaps even interior OL, if they’re still looking to replace Scherff with a higher-end option than Schweitzer. Wentz has demonstrated that he needs elite OL play in front of him to be at his best  — it was a mess in Philly the last year when their OL collapsed.

But even if you’re stuck at 11, that’s okay. Just pull the trigger on the best guy you can find to help Wentz win. And don’t get caught up feeling like “more QB options” necessarily means a better chance of success. 

• Like 1

It would make zero sense, to make this trade for Wentz. Then, sit on our *** & lose out on everyone during FA.

The ONLY way this trade works?

Is if you are very aggressive in FA.

Much like the Rams were, as they traded for Stafford. Then went out and got Odel Beckham Jr & others...

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I would move down, for much the same reason that you lay out. You could probably pick any of those guys at 11 — but I’d rather drop down to 18 or 20, and also grab another 2nd or even some future assets. At least one of those guys will still be there, and if they’re not, then certainly one of Lloyd or Dean will be. 

I just don’t see any “must-have” talent that’s likely to still be there at 11. I see a lot of “like-to-have” talents, and I think we’ll still be able to choose from a couple of those 8-10 picks later. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I would move down, for much the same reason that you lay out. You could probably pick any of those guys at 11 — but I’d rather drop down to 18 or 20, and also grab another 2nd or even some future assets. At least one of those guys will still be there, and if they’re not, then certainly one of Lloyd or Dean will be. 

I just don’t see any “must-have” talent that’s likely to still be there at 11. I see a lot of “like-to-have” talents, and I think we’ll still be able to choose from a couple of those 8-10 picks later. 

With this group running things? We’d probably end up giving next years first away in a trade down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Unfortunately most other teams will likely see it that way too making finding a trade partner difficult.  Only takes one though.