Cowboys Trade WR Amari Cooper to the Browns

AFlaccoSeagulls

15 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean nothing tops this...

*sigh*

At least your tried.

From the top now: It started by paying this guy $36mm as a FA:

3WV3.gif

That went as well as expected, so the team stapled a 2nd round pick to the guy just to get rid of him - Cleveland was happy to take on that bad contract for a good pick. That 2nd round pick turned into…

Nick Chubb Browns GIF by The Undroppables

This guy.

So, door was open to bring in this guy:

Ncaa Football Celebration GIF by ESPN College Football

And all was good! Only one problem - this guy was being killed. Mostly because THIS guy didn’t want to play for the team anymore:

National Football League GIF by Seattle Seahawks

Maybe you heard of him. Anywho, something had to be done to protect the man, so the plan was to trade away THIS guy:

College Football Sport GIF by SEC Network

To bring in enough assets to trade for THIS guy:

National Football League GIF by Houston Texans

And it was… well, it didn’t work, but it was a novel attempt. They managed to build up a 24-0 lead on the eventual Super Bowl champs in the playoffs. But, future was pretty much dried out.

In a fit of desperation, the team went ahead and traded away THIS guy:

Celebrate Deandre Hopkins GIF by Arizona Cardinals

To get THIS guy in return:

David Johnson Football GIF by Arizona Cardinals

A wee bit lopsided. We all sort of knew that. Sure, there was a 2nd in that, but for a top 5 WR? A bit lopsided. I think you agree.

So, this went about as well as you expected - the main guy who made these decisions was fired a month into the season, but the OTHER guy who made this decision was retained - because I think he prays well, I dunno.

So that made THIS guy request for his release:

Episode 12 Yes GIF by Saturday Night Live

As well as the guy we first talked about to demand a trade:

Deshaun Watson Sport GIF by UFC

And here we are. Three years removed from winning 24-0 in KC to eight wins in the last two seasons.

Seattle has a cute story, but nothing quite encapsulates a dumpster fire like your 2019-2022 Houston Texans.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, 43M said:

I feel like Baker is destined to be a good backup and occasional stop gap starter ala Ryan Fitzpatrick or Byron Leftwich.    He has yet to show the consistency it takes to be a long term starter.

I think he’s basically short Jay Cutler. 10 year average tier NFL starter with some positive outlier seasons and games where he kills you with 4+ INT. I think he’s a step above that journeyman backup tier.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

*sigh*

At least your tried.

3WV3.gif

That went as well as expected, so the team stapled a 2nd round pick to the guy just to get rid of him - Cleveland was happy to take on that bad contract for a good pick . That 2nd round pick turned into…

This guy.

And all was good! Only one problem - this guy was being killed. Mostly because THIS guy didn’t want to play for the team anymore:

Maybe you heard of him. Anywho, something had to be done to protect the man, so the plan was to trade away THIS guy:

And it was… well, it didn’t work, but it was a novel attempt. They managed to build up a 24-0 lead on the eventual Super Bowl champs in the playoffs. But, future was pretty much dried out.

A wee bit lopsided. We all sort of knew that. Sure, there was a 2nd in that, but for a top 5 WR? A bit lopsided. I think you agree.

So, this went about as well as you expected - the main guy who made these decisions was fired a month into the season, but the OTHER guy who made this decision was retained - because I think he prays well, I dunno.

And here we are. Three years removed from winning 24-0 in KC to eight wins in the last two seasons.

Seattle has a cute story, but nothing quite encapsulates a dumpster fire like your 2019-2022 Houston Texans.

Your missing your bolded sentences 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think he’s basically short Jay Cutler. 10 year average tier NFL starter with some positive outlier seasons and games where he kills you with 4+ INT. I think he’s a step above that journeyman backup tier.

Fair enough.    I could definitely see that too....but I also think there are more capable QBs around these days then when Cutler was playing.    When I say "capable", I just mean guys that can fill that type of role.

So while I agree he could be like Cutler....he will also have more competition IMO.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight. The Cowboys traded a 1st round pick for Cooper then gave him a big contract. They then draft another receiver Lamb in the 1st round despite already having both Cooper and Gallup, now they trade Cooper for next to nothing (although they were going to cut him) bc they didnt want to keep his sizable contract, and then they are going to give a less than durable and no as established receiver in Gallup a big contract. 

My guess is that when they do give Gallup that contract, they will be looking to move on from him in a few years as well. I just dont get the Cowboys operations in the last idk how many seasons. Ill still say I wouldve kept Cooper over Gallup but Shannon Sharpe did make a good point one day on "Undisputed" when he said Jerry Jones will keep his drafted players longer than the players he trade for and/or sign in FA from other teams. 

8 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

So let me get this straight. The Cowboys traded a 1st round pick for Cooper then gave him a big contract. They then draft another receiver Lamb in the 1st round despite already having both Cooper and Gallup, now they trade Cooper for next to nothing (although they were going to cut him) bc they didnt want to keep his sizable contract, and then they are going to give a less than durable and no as established receiver in Gallup a big contract. 

My guess is that when they do give Gallup that contract, they will be looking to move on from him in a few years as well. I just dont get the Cowboys operations in the last idk how many seasons. Ill still say I wouldve kept Cooper over Gallup but Shannon Sharpe did make a good point one day on "Undisputed" when he said Jerry Jones will keep his drafted players longer than the players he trade for and/or sign in FA from other teams. 

Trading Amari Cooper for nothing just so they can overpay Michael Gallup is a helluva move

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

*sigh*

At least your tried.

3WV3.gif

That went as well as expected, so the team stapled a 2nd round pick to the guy just to get rid of him - Cleveland was happy to take on that bad contract for a good pick . That 2nd round pick turned into…

This guy.

dismissive dm used as a reaction image

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I agree he gets too much hate....but he isnt likely to make anyone look silly, except maybe himself.

Even if Baker had a good year in 2022....would you trust him to be your long term franchise QB?   He has been extremely inconsistent and hasnt grown much.    

I feel like Baker is destined to be a good backup and occasional stop gap starter ala Ryan Fitzpatrick or Byron Leftwich.    He has yet to show the consistency it takes to be a long term starter.

I find it silly how nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt for playing with like 6 injuries last year and just lable him as terrible.

Especially when he was great in 2020, great in 2021 preseason and great in 2021 week 1 throwing for 320 yards against KC--then his play magically fell off a cliff once he got injured and OBJ drama started.

Not the biggest Mayfield stan in the world, but he gets a lot of unjust hate 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Having to trade Amari Cooper because you're completely strapped with Ezekiel Elliott's $18.2M cap hit is actually a helluva move.

I agree that the Cowboys had to make this move with Cooper bc they were strapped with Zeke contract and lets not forget that they overpaid for Dak too. Colin Cowherd says alot but in this regard he makes alot of sense. The Cowboys pay their B to B+ players like they are A and A+ players. Im happy that Dak got his money but unless he does something as a QB to justify what he got paid bc its not going to get any better. The Cowboys are going to continue to purge their players that they cant afford to keep. D-Law, Gregory, Collins, etc... The good thing is the Cowboys have shown to draft well so if they continue to do that it wont hurt them like lets say it did the Seahawks after they gave Wilson that big contract, started letting their players go and they never drafted well and the roster became weak and Wilson could never get that team back to the Superbowl and then he ultimately wanted out and now is in Denver.