We are trading for Amari Cooper

sdrawkcab321

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Worst case scenario is we cut him and save 20 million and lose a 5th round pick who wouldn't be expected to be a contributor anyway. I'm not a huge Cooper fan and don't see him as a #1 or someone that brings the intensity that Landry does but he is more elusive and we haven't had a WR that has been elusive at all for awhile.

It's time our WRs make a play occasionally. Others break a tackle or elude a defenders, ours never seem to do that.

I think he’s a guy who can consistently win 1:1, draw coverage and is able to make plays at all 3 levels. 

Is he gonna be overpaid?  Absolutely, but that would have applied to anyone we brought in via FA too.  I think he’s better than pretty much everyone in FA who we even had a realistic HOPE of snagging.

Landry was intense and competed, can’t take that away from him, but he’s got a skill set that warrants a contact 20-30% of what he’s due imo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cortes02 said:

Love the trade. I would still pick a WR in the 1st round (Wilson/London) to help with the offense & Baker.

Peace!!!

I diagree...the WR class is very good, and although I wouldn't hate the idea of pairing Cooper, with a Wilson/London/Burks, I would probably go D at 13.  I would consider a Jordan Davis, or Karlaftis, or be thrilled if a Thibodeaux, or Walker fell!

The second round should have some great talent at WR...Dotson, Bell, or Watson could possibly be had!

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I diagree...the WR class is very good, and although I would hate the idea of pairing Cooper, with a Wilson/London/Burks, I would probably go D at 13.  I would consider a Jordan Davis, or Karlaftis, or be thrilled if a Thibodeaux, or Walker fell!

The second round should have some great talent at WR...Dotson, Bell, or Watson could possibly be had!

I feel pretty confident that WR is prolly out at 13 with bringing on copper and, at least as of now, not resigning Clowney.

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel pretty confident that WR is prolly out at 13 with bringing on copper and, at least as of now, not resigning Clowney.

I think if we get rid of Jarvis we are just replacing one role as WR2 for another. I wouldn’t ignore a potential long-term WR1 based on Cooper coming here. If that guy falls. I think we are certainly not as desperate now though. First round or not though we still need a quality rookie imo. I’m far more open to going D now though and having more bpa flexibility now is huge considering some of the possible options.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, bruceb said:

Sounds like we all are in agreement.

OK, @NudeTayne, make it happen!

On 3/7/2022 at 6:59 PM, NudeTayne said:

I think he can be had for a fourth, maybe a sixth or seventh are a throw-in with it to outbid another team offering a fourth. It's mostly a salary dump so not much compensation needed.

Alright. I'll see what I can do. 

👀

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think if we get rid of Jarvis we are just replacing one role as WR2 for another. I wouldn’t ignore a potential long-term WR1 based on Cooper coming here. If that guy falls. I think we are certainly not as desperate now though. First round or not though we still need a quality rookie imo. I’m far more open to going D now though and having more bpa flexibility now is huge considering some of the possible options.

Yeah, I think WR is totally still a possibility in round one. Acquiring Cooper just means we won't be forced to take one if there's a really good EDGE/DT available.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think if we get rid of Jarvis we are just replacing one role as WR2 for another.

True. But an Amari Cooper WR2 is a MASSIVE upgrade from a Jarvis Landry WR2. Like, Cooper is a #2 who is actually set up to be an above average #2. Landry is a meh #3 trying to be a #2. 

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd go higher if he is willing 1/8 

No thanks. We have a bunch of #3/4 WR's right now (DPJ, Schwartz, Higgins if he stays, etc.) I'm not giving 8M for another one that I could use on a DT, DE, or as part of the money for a legit #1 WR (Robinson). Or even like, another #2 to pair with Cooper and a rookie as a "let's do three #2's rather than a #1 and #2" set up (Juju, Zay Jones, Cedrick Wilson, Chark, Gallup, Gage).

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is he gonna be overpaid?  Absolutely, but that would have applied to anyone we brought in via FA too.  I think he’s better than pretty much everyone in FA who we even had a realistic HOPE of snagging.

Yup. Unless Allen Robinson was coming here, this is the best WR who was available. And there will be some significantly lower tier dudes getting 75% of his money.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FGK said:

True. But an Amari Cooper WR2 is a MASSIVE upgrade from a Jarvis Landry WR2. Like, Cooper is a #2 who is actually set up to be an above average #2. Landry is a meh #3 trying to be a #2. 

No doubt. My only point is that long-term I still don’t know that we have a WR1 so in this really strong class you can’t rule out a WR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

No doubt. My only point is that long-term I still don’t know that we have a WR1 so in this really strong class you can’t rule out a WR.

Definitely. If Drake London is there, he's the pick (imo), but I don't think he gets there. Wilson/Burks/Williams are all legit options too. I think Cooper makes that OPTIONAL (gives us the option of going DT/DE then WR), but it's still an option for sure.

• Like 1