Vikings Extend Cousins Through 2023

Heimdallr

Is this a good move?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good move?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many more seasons will Cousins be in MN?

• 3+

Cousins finished 34 of 48 passing for 299 yards with three touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 107.9.

He saved some of his best throws for critical moments in the fourth quarter in which he completed 12 of 18 passes for 102 yards with two of the scores and a passer rating of 118.3.

https://www.vikings.com/news/game-observations-joseph-from-norseman-braid-27-24-win-vs-giants?fbclid=IwAR2FVnqMtgdvqjGStpQPbsaTIDyzcgmqEIfe2kCvP-XFT47kflTSt5BgkxM

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Do we all agree that this is the best version of Kirk Cousins that weve all seen?

A poster in the main forums said that this is Kirks worst year when i think we all agree that this is the best ball weve seen him play.

If all you do is look at stats, and don’t watch the actual games, you might come to that conclusion. But this is the most clutch we’ve ever seen him. And that was always the knock against him: can’t come back, can’t win in prime time, can’t carry a team, folds under pressure. He’s been his best in the biggest moments. I don’t know what flipped this year, but I’ll say it again: Kirk Cousins - Franchise Quarterback. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Do we all agree that this is the best version of Kirk Cousins that weve all seen?

A poster in the main forums said that this is Kirks worst year when i think we all agree that this is the best ball weve seen him play.

There's still probably people saying that all you have to do is hit him a few times and he'll fold

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If all you do is look at stats, and don’t watch the actual games, you might come to that conclusion. But this is the most clutch we’ve ever seen him. And that was always the knock against him: can’t come back, can’t win in prime time, can’t carry a team, folds under pressure. He’s been his best in the biggest moments. I don’t know what flipped this year, but I’ll say it again: Kirk Cousins - Franchise Quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

There's still probably people saying that all you have to do is hit him a few times and he'll fold

I was just extremely surprised to see someone say that when I assumed that pretty much everyone in here (people in the Vikings forums) agree that this is the best weve ever seen him.

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

yeah, the knock was that he put up pretty stats in garbage time. but now he's putting up great stats late in the game and we're winning them.

anyone who can't accept that just doesn't want to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

yeah, the knock was that he put up pretty stats in garbage time. but now he's putting up great stats late in the game and we're winning them.

anyone who can't accept that just doesn't want to.

He did put up a lot of garbage time stats in the colts game

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

He had a lot of clutch moments last year as well, not as much luck though. I think this has been more of an evolution than something that just clicked this year.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Statistically speaking, most analytical sites say he’s playing average to below average and having the worst year in awhile. I guess that kind of makes sense in a way given how bad this team is for long stretches in the second and third quarters. That has to count for something. 

2 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

I was just extremely surprised to see someone say that when I assumed that pretty much everyone in here (people in the Vikings forums) agree that this is the best weve ever seen him.

That's because neither the "official" nor the "advanced" stats properly take into account ALL factors related to winning, and thus, are undervaluing the timing of their tabulated data on contributing factors.  So Kirk's clutch performances are significantly undervalued.  Also, the contribution from his teammates' to a quarterback's performance and resulting statistics and to his team's winning or losing has been greatly undervalued in current official statistics and advanced statistics generating models.  Kirk is playing by far, the best of his football career.  Part of that is his coach's insistence that he take more chances (which results in choosing the better play call choice, which leads to more effective results on average), and getting the added reps at doing that in real games, in turn, results in his improvement in accomplishing those tasks, and ingraining them in his instinctive play.

Furthermore, his play is affected by the play of his teammates, which is affected by their health, and which players, with which capabilities are playing on which plays, and also on the system, and which plays are called by his coaches, and how they are modified by him.  This season, The Coaches on offence are using a much more  quarterback-friendly system for Kirk, and calling better plays for his skills.  But the team's defence is older, has less quality in its depth at most positions, and has been depleted by injuries, and so, the system used to try to protect their weaknesses has not been effective.  That puts tremendous pressure on the offence to produce much more than would be otherwise needed, and often takes the strength of their running game out of their tool box, resulting in opposing teams knowing that Kirk has to pass most of the time, making one of his most effective tools, play action passing on rollouts, less effective, because opposing defences don't go for the run fake, and are in good coverage position.

Computer analysis is only as good as the data that goes into it.  That is dependent upon the guesses (albeit "educated guesses") by the combination of the modellers and the so-called "people who watch games, and "know the game".  To this point, those two groups have NOT been able to manufacture (enumerate) factors, to simulate accurately, the affects that being able to raise one's level of play to a higher level when his team needs it more.  That is also true, not only for quarterbacks' play, but also that for a full team, as well as its team chemistry, and confidence, - which is why the computer data believers continue to expect The Vikings to lose every week, and why they don't pick them to win, when WE fans, who follow the team's practices, injury news, and watch them play every week, KNOW they have a good chance to win every week, and that they will win most of them.

• Like 3