Broncos sign DE Randy Gregory (5 years, $70M)

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I know Marijuana is a gateway drug to other substances but honest question, has Gregory been suspended for using other substances besides weed?

If not and given the NFL's change in policy I'm not seeing an issue tbh. If so, then yes this is concerning. 

It was never anything more -- that I know of but obviously we don't know the nitty gritty. It was also spoken in terms of him having it in his system or skipping the tests all together which is a instant negative test. He struggled for a long time. And then he got hurt last season. Maybe all that gave Stephen Jones pause. All valid but you still don't be shady at the 11th hour before the deal is official. 

38 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Do the Broncos actually have to be in 'win now' mode?

Wilson will presumably be good for 5+ more years. It's not quite like when you got a 36 year old Petyon Manning.

You got your franchise QB who will at a minimum keep you competitive for the playoffs. You can just build up over the next few years with him.

I mean you morgaged your future picks for a QB who presumably has 5-6 years left. Same as Peyton did. I dont believe Denver got Wilson so they can go out and coast for a year or two.

There isnt too many holes on that roster left to fill outside of OL/DL depth, so might as well go for it.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I know Marijuana is a gateway drug to other substances but honest question, has Gregory been suspended for using other substances besides weed?

If not and given the NFL's change in policy I'm not seeing an issue tbh. If so, then yes this is concerning. 

Honestly, with the league, I think the greater concern, if there is one, would be the repeated offenses (and missing at least one scheduled test), versus the actual substance itself.  It's a case of trust to not drag them through the mud again - PR wise and reputation-wise.  The league can be real pains in the butt, but in instances where they discipline someone and that guy then toes the line versus disciplining someone and he just kind of shines the admonishment and goes and repeats the same exact transgression; they're kind of justified in throwing the book at the later when the former shows that if you go along there are clear examples that you get along.