Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

We’re seriously going to sit here and act like a college transfer is quitting? Plenty of guys transfer. It’s a career move and it worked out 100% perfectly for the guy. 

Baker might have character concerns as far as his maturity goes, but talking about him transferring in college is weaksauce. 

Browns don’t deserve shade for wanting to get better at QB and Baker doesn’t deserve shade for wanting out of a bum organization. Pending any further stunts by either side? It is what it is.

I mean, apparently Baker flat out stated this relationship is not salvageable and he feels strongly its in both parties interest for him to be traded.  I get Cleveland wanted to upgrade at QB, but to end the season, they said Baker was their guy.  As soon as free agency is here they're talking about how they need an adult at QB. They fumbled the hell out of this.

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I mean, apparently Baker flat out stated this relationship is not salvageable and he feels strongly its in both parties interest for him to be traded.  I get Cleveland wanted to upgrade at QB, but to end the season, they said Baker was their guy.  As soon as free agency is here they're talking about how they need an adult at QB. They fumbled the hell out of this.

I’m hesitant to call that disrespect, though. I don’t blame them for wanting a more mature signal caller, and I don’t blame them for committing to Baker at the end of the season. That’s essentially what they’re forced to do, being non-committal fries the relationship too IMO. Shrug. 

The way I look at this, both entities have to be (and should be) selfish. The Browns have to put the best QB on the field that they can get. They have to lie to Baker if he needs his ego stroked, but they’re actually not in love with the guy. And Baker only has one career, he’s got to maximize his value (especially in a contract year) and do what’s best for himself. He’s more than within his right to say that the organization’s rotten, has disrespected him in his opinion, and he *asks* to be traded. I don’t view either side as inherently wrong, to this point.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What else are they gonna say? That's basic GM/coach speak when talking to the media.

Whoever said they need an adult at QB should feel bad, because that certainly didn't help things at all, even if it's possibly true.

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

What else are they gonna say? That's basic GM/coach speak when talking to the media.

Whoever said they need an adult at QB should feel bad, because that certainly didn't help things at all, even if it's possibly true.

I agree with both parts of that. I'm just saying the first comment made the 2nd worse.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

“withdrew”

They didn’t withdraw. Watson declined. Baker is basically the girl who watched her boyfriend publicly ask the prom queen out and after getting turned down wants to pretend they should stay in a relationship lol

But that girl is ugly ....she has a nice booty but she is ugly. 😂

57 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Baker did this to himself. He tried to be a hero and play through a shoulder injury. He should’ve shut it down.

Baker did this to himself by trying to be a team player? The team could have shut him down.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I disagree he wasn’t treated right. If you are average at a position, you try to upgrade. The person who is currently slotted into that position should not take offense to it. He’s really showing himself as a beta male who’s very sensitive. 

Saying you want an "adult" at QB and then in turn going after a guy that may have sexually assaulted 20 women is treating Baker right? 

Just now, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Saying you want an "adult" at QB and then in turn going after a guy that may have sexually assaulted 20 women is treating Baker right? 

It’s a business. You try to upgrade positions. Watson is a million times better than Baker. Watson is an Elite Top 8 QB. Baker is an average Middle of the Pack QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

It’s a business. You try to upgrade positions. Watson is a million times better than Baker. Watson is an Elite Top 8 QB. Baker is an average Middle of the Pack QB. 

You can upgrade at a position without publicly trashing the person you want to upgrade from. There's nothing to gain from that business-wise. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

6 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You can upgrade at a position without publicly trashing the person you want to upgrade from. There's nothing to gain from that business-wise. 

This. No one said Watson wasn’t a better QB. 

42 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

In fact, it's the organization's responsibility to protect the player from himself.

This is true.

48 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Baker did this to himself by trying to be a team player? The team could have shut him down.

It’s not being a team player by trying to be a hero and in turn being a net negative to the team. 

• Like 1