Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

13 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Ignoring the personal stuff is it really an overpay given the level of play he's shown at the age of 26?

Especially when compared to what the Broncos gave up for  Wilson whose 7 years older (and will be getting a new contract himself).

I thought the Texans would get more tbh.

Yes, it's a huge overpay 

But guess we don't have to listen to any Ben jokes from Browns fans anymore. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Overpaid in giving him a fully guaranteed deal? Yes.

Overpaid in draft picks/compensation? Don't think so. Rumors were that any team trading for him were gonna have to give up 3 firsts, other picks, along with multiple young talented players. Cleveland not trading any players in return is huge.

Was strictly talking about the contract. 

• Like 1

I can't help the Browns fans who don't like Watson, sorry for you all to have a QB you detest.

For the rest, this money is not astounding (its all relative) at 46m a year. He's the 5th QB to average 40+ and he signed just now (it always goes up) Burrow and Herbert will get more.

The guarantees are not all that much different than big bonus or restructure dead cap and fully vs 150 or 180 of the 230 is not a big deal (again, relative to other top tier QB contracts)

Its scary as hell but so is the same deal without a 5th year guaranteed.

The trade itself is an absolute steal. (for Cleveland)

The #13 this year and most likely a pick in the 20s the next 2 years and a 3rd?  Its a decent haul for Houston but its not franchise crippling to Cleveland.

Like all deals if he gets hurt or sucks (or is really a bad dude who does more bad things) then it will be awful for the Browns.

Everything about this deal for Houston should be the prime example for how awful no trade clauses are for teams.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

You’re letting your personal feelings blind you. That team was trash and he took them to the playoffs before that. 

… where they blew a 20+ point lead.

I’m not trying to debate that he isn’t good. But I don’t know if he’s going to elevate them to a championship team. 

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I can't help the Browns fans who don't like Watson, sorry for you all to have a QB you detest.

For the rest, this money is not astounding (its all relative) at 46m a year. He's the 5th QB to average 40+ and he signed just now (it always goes up) Burrow and Herbert will get more.

The guarantees are not all that much different than big bonus or restructure dead cap and fully vs 150 or 180 of the 230 is not a big deal (again, relative to other top tier QB contracts)

Its scary as hell but so is the same deal without a 5th year guaranteed.

The trade itself is an absolute steal. (for Cleveland)

The #13 this year and most likely a pick in the 20s the next 2 years and a 3rd?  Its a decent haul for Houston but its not franchise crippling to Cleveland.

Like all deals if he gets hurt or sucks (or is really a bad dude who does more bad things) then it will be awful for the Browns.

Everything about this deal for Houston should be the prime example for how awful no trade clauses are for teams.

You are giving a man who has quit on his teams, struggled with injuries, and been accused of sexual assault by 22 women zero financial incentive to improve or even try. 

Being a quitter and a bad person has only rewarded this man. 

What happens if he regresses or checks out? What if hes a little banged up, why should he play? 

People above all respond to incentives and the only thing hes learned is that he can get away with ******* anything and not get punished. 

I expect Watson to only regress as a person. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

You are giving a man who has quit on his teams, struggled with injuries, and been accused of sexual assault by 22 women zero financial incentive to improve or even try. 

Cal and Jack destroyed the team. He tried to stop it. Full credit to Watson. Injuries? Nice cold take (50 of 51 starts since 2018)

22 women? Wow, was he really accused by 22 women? Did you just break this news? Tell me more! 👀

All QBs are paid way too much money. Less way too much money would not change his behavior.