Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, August4th said:

I wonder if cle is gonna hold a "welcome to the browns" press conference for Watson 😬 that could get icky

as it should, the reporters need to press, berry, steph, jimmy and Watson. 

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The suspension might be in year 2 if they wait for the civil suit and I think the 1 million is heavily influenced by the 2022 salary cap. The Browns only had 16 million or so before the trade. I'm not disagreeing with you but it can be both.

Most NFL suspensions tend to predate legal action, and seem to mostly be based on how harmful to the league those alleged actions were. The NFL doesn't really care about the actual legal guilt or innocence of its players. The only reason he wasn't suspended already is because the NFL didn't need to do so when he was sitting out on his own volition.

I expect a 2-4 game suspension, to be honest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The suspension might be in year 2 if they wait for the civil suit and I think the 1 million is heavily influenced by the 2022 salary cap. The Browns only had 16 million or so before the trade. I'm not disagreeing with you but it can be both.

I’m a salary cap idiot but what you guys are saying is that the realistic % of cap allocated to QB that hampers teams elsewhere will be high years 4-5 but not 1, right?

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Most NFL suspensions seem to predate legal action, and seem to mostly be based on how harmful to the league those alleged actions were. The NFL doesn't really care about the actual legal guilt or innocence of its players. The only reason he wasn't suspended already is because the NFL didn't need to do so when he was sitting out on his own volition.

I expect 6, but no idea on the appeal.

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I love that it’s always sports where people want to solve societies ills. Your phone was probably manufactured by slaves in a factory with suicide nets and some kid probably lost his arm mining the minerals for it but Browns fans need to feel guilty for every win they get from now on.

Lets not go there, as no one was saying anything remotely close to saying "sports should solve societies ills" or "Browns fans need to feel guilty".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Most NFL suspensions seem to predate legal action, and seem to mostly be based on how harmful to the league those alleged actions were. The NFL doesn't really care about the actual legal guilt or innocence of its players. The only reason he wasn't suspended already is because the NFL didn't need to do so when he was sitting out on his own volition.

If he gets less than 6 I am going to be deeply disturbed 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

If it were up to me I'd do 6-8. But I think the overall heat on him has cooled. I also think that the Browns wouldn't be giving up the draft capitol or give him that contract if they thought he wasn't going to play for the vast majority of the season.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

In expecting six, appealed to three due to “time served” from last season.

Deshaun Watson is a draw, he’s an exciting player to watch. The NFL wants him playin football.

4 minutes ago, Here'sJim said:

Amari Cooper, Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, and... a bunch of inconsistent vets/rookies.

At least the o-line is solid.

Does there Baker trade wait until the deadline? I mean, that certainly lessens his trade value, but they may need him to start. Who would they bring in as a backup? They’d need one of the top backups. Trade for Minshew? Darnold?