Deshaun Watson is a Cleveland Brown

brownie man

3 hours ago, TeHDruiD said:

The 49ers made basically the same trade for Trey Lance. Let that sink in for a minute

Oh the compensation was a win for the Browns for sure. They stole him because of his case.

Im also not worried about the GTD money or contract. He is the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL, essentially getting paid the same as Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes--which is fair for his talent level. Also, you know whats going to happen, in 2-3 years from now he is going to be like the 9th highest paid QB because of the cap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nugpimpen said:

To my long dear friends on this site that are thinking of walking awwe'll. Implore you to not make a quick decision out of anger. Give it some time to settle. If you still feel the same, then I understand and wish you well. While I love this as a fan of the team, I understand we are giving up a lot more than picks and $s. No more moral high ground, which is tough to put a price on. I'm sure there are those here that have had loves ones go through something akin to what Deshaun is beig accused, which Is also a 100% good enough reason to feel this way.

All I'm saying is feelings can pass. The season doesn't start until September. See how you feel in a few weeks/months before you give up on a lifelong love of this team. We all share in common, that we devote far more time to this team than it deserves and we love it more than we should. The loyalty shown over two decades+ is worth those weeks/months to let the dust settle.

If not, you will be missed and I wish you luck, well.

The money is only guaranteed for injury. Somrthing criminal in the future would almost certainly void the money.

1 hour ago, nugpimpen said:

To my long dear friends on this site that are thinking of walking away, I Implore you to not make a quick decision out of anger. Give it some time to settle. If you still feel the same, then I understand and wish you well. While I love this as a fan of the team, I understand we are giving up a lot more than picks and $s. No more moral high ground, which is tough to put a price on. I'm sure there are those here that have had loves ones go through something akin to what Deshaun is beig accused, which Is also a 100% good enough reason to feel this way.

All I'm saying is feelings can pass. The season doesn't start until September. See how you feel in a few weeks/months before you give up on a lifelong love of this team. We all share in common, that we devote far more time to this team than it deserves and we love it more than we should. The loyalty shown over two decades+ is worth those weeks/months to let the dust settle.

If not, you will be missed and I wish you well, truly.

Here’s my counterpoint.

They bought his suspension. As if this organization couldn’t get lower in my eyes today.

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh the compensation was a win for the Browns for sure. They stole him because of his case.

I’m not a Watson fan, but the compensation was absolutely a win for the Browns.  This is the ballpark of what Wilson and Stafford fetched and they were like 6 years older when traded.

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im also not worried about the GTD money or contract. He is the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL, essentially getting paid the same as Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes--which is fair for his talent level. Also, you know whats going to happen, in 2-3 years from now he is going to be like the 9th highest paid QB because of the cap.

Yeah, the salary number is actually pretty good.  The guarantees are wild though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Here’s my counterpoint.

They bought his suspension. As if this organization couldn’t get lower in my eyes today.

He is young and has one year less tread off his tires.

Good investment.

Great work by his agent(s)!

One thing I've learned is no matter what, the Browns are never right. The team got significantly better today and it's doom and gloom lol. This fanbase has gotten so used to crying over everything, to the point every thing they do is ridiculed

Baker sucks, we want a Super Bowl, the front office made the one move that could be made to accomplish this and they're wrong?

Do you want to continue to be mediocre or do you want to win? You can't have your cake and eat it too

3 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

One thing I've learned is no matter what, the Browns are never right. The team got significantly better today and it's doom and gloom lol. This fanbase has gotten so used to crying over everything, to the point every thing they do is ridiculed

Baker sucks, we want a Super Bowl, the front office made the one move that could be made to accomplish this and they're wrong?

Do you want to continue to be mediocre or do you want to win? You can't have your cake and eat it too

This is a pretty obtuse view of things. No offense to you personally, I guarantee you're not the only one who has those thoughts currently, however, this isn't a "everything the Browns do is ridiculed" situation. Externally, the articles were probably close to being written. They just needed to edit the "insert trading team here" into what was already written, because the narrative was already there. IF Atlanta or New Orleans or Carolina had pulled the trade off, the same articles highlighting the same facts and concerns would be written about. In pure football motives, sure, it was absolutely a great trade to make.

The impact felt more for me was seeing how many Browns fans, whether it be people on here, friends I've made on twitter, women that bleed orange and brown, its seeing them hurt, disgusted, disappointed. To add insult to injury, there's been a huge lack of support for those fans, those people. I've seen some that started sharing charity groups in Cleveland to donate to in support of sexual assault victims, and thank god that out of all of this, some people have stepped in to do impactful things like that for the community. Ben Allbright committed to donating 1k to the cause. I saw one guy who is one of the biggest Browns fans I've met donate $2022 dollars, and pledged more after he sells all of his Browns gear. 

Sure, some of these will eventually return to being fans again, but many won't.  What could have been the most exciting move in franchise history, has sadly been the most divisive move. I get why we did it, but I still wish we wouldn't have. Most of you know I am a huge Baker Mayfield fan. I would have gladly given him away for us to not make this deal. I just don't know how we approach our female fan base, or the women who represent the organization, and we look them in the face and say "we hear you, and this is important to us as well, but we just couldn't say no to making this deal." 

I'd say that I'd pray to have it come to light that he was innocent of the assaults, but that would just lead to those who supported the move to point and laugh at those who weren't, it would  lead towards more skepticism towards sexual assault victim's claims overall in a world that already has an awful track record of taking these claims seriously or prosecuting those accused. 

I also wonder if our media will give him a pass for answering the tough questions. We all can recite the "how have you changed since the suspension" Grossi hot take. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m excited for breast cancer October. All our female Brownie fans will surely be clamoring for that pink #4 jersey. 

Hes going to have a LOT of damage control/media/image reviving in the next 6 months before he hits the field.

I heard the Browns in their meeting with him outlined a detailed plan for dealing with his image--so I assume there will be a lot going on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hes going to have a LOT of damage control/media/image reviving in the next 6 months before he hits the field.

I heard the Browns in their meeting with him outlined a detailed plan for dealing with his image--so I assume there will be a lot going on.

I was going to post that the PR campaign coming up is going to be Harvard worthy. 

Our FO is about to draw up a PR campaign like you’ve never seen before. They’re going to write case studies at Harvard about the PR campaign we’re about to put on. Just watch. Berry and Stefanski are prepared. 

Edited by brownie man

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I was going to post that the PR campaign coming up is going to be Harvard worthy. 

Our FO is about to draw up a PR campaign like you’ve never seen before. They’re going to write case studies at Harvard about the PR campaign we’re about to put on. Just watch. Berry and Stefanski are prepared. 

I get that, but wouldn't this be like the state of Ohio pushing a huge human trafficking awareness pledge and using Ariel Castro as their spokesperson? Like I really am struggling to think about what on earth we could do to smooth this over that could actually be genuine and sincere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I get that, but wouldn't this be like the state of Ohio pushing a huge human trafficking awareness pledge and using Ariel Castro as their spokesperson? Like I really am struggling to think about what on earth we could do to smooth this over that could actually be genuine and sincere. 

No idea but if Ray Lewis, Ben Roethlisberger, Kareem Hunt and many others can do it---so can Watson.

Its going to be akward as hell for at least 2 years but hopefully he does enough, whatever that is, to get back on track.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1