Where does Baker Mayfield get traded to and how much does he go for? !Poll!

brownie man

Where does Baker get trade to and how much does he go for?   

162 members have voted

1. 1. What team trades for Baker?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints
    • Detroit Lions
    • Somewhere else

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont really subscribe to his salary being that much of a problem. Its all posturing. Especially when you look at some of the teams who are looking to get him. Who exactly is SEA/DET paying that they wouldnt have 18M for a 1 year flier QB? Are the Seahawks or Lions really that cash strapped that they couldnt afford a whopping 18M for a 1 year potential franchise QB?

Also, 18M is nothing in QB terms, its quite literally the league average. He is the 15th highest paid QB in the league this year. Teams acting like the 18M Baker is owed is some back breaking amount of money is a load of BS

I understand what you are saying.  But it may come down to if teams feel Baker is worth $18M for 2022.  Also, every bit a team spends is that much less they can roll over into 2023 for spending.  

It may be that teams don't feel that Baker is worth $18M and if not a long term answer, then might as well, keep the cap space and roll it into 2023 for other spending and look for a QB then.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I understand what you are saying.  But it may come down to if teams feel Baker is worth $18M for 2022.  Also, every bit a team spends is that much less they can roll over into 2023 for spending.  

It may be that teams don't feel that Baker is worth $18M and if not a long term answer, then might as well, keep the cap space and roll it into 2023 for other spending and look for a QB then.

I mean what I will say is that that QBs make people do stupid things. Its (rightfully) the most valued position in sports.

We have teams paying a 2nd + 3rd for a broken Carson Wentz and a 2nd + 4th for 'bust' Sam Darnold.

Teams are thirsty for QBs and regardless of how they feel about his personality--Baker plays QB at a top 20 level. QB is the one position teams can overlook things out of desperation.

The other thing is that it is 1 year. 1. Thats it. If he doesnt work out, who cares. Let him go at the end of the season and lose no cap space in 2023.

The Seahawks, Lions and Panthers acting like they are too good for Baker Mayfield is.........something

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean what I will say is that that QBs make people do stupid things. Its (rightfully) the most valued position in sports.

We have teams paying a 2nd + 3rd for a broken Carson Wentz and a 2nd + 4th for 'bust' Sam Darnold.

maybe some teams look at what Wentz and Darnold did for those teams and think Baker is in that same class so why give up assets for that?

Teams are thirsty for QBs and regardless of how they feel about his personality--Baker plays QB at a top 20 level. QB is the one position teams can overlook things out of desperation.

The other thing is that it is 1 year. 1. Thats it. If he doesnt work out, who cares. Let him go at the end of the season and lose no cap space in 2023.

Sure it is no cap space for 2023, but it would be $18M for 2022 and that is a decent amount that can't be rolled over into 2023

The Seahawks, Lions and Panthers acting like they are too good for Baker Mayfield is.........something

Is Baker an upgrade over Goff?   I agree Baker is probably an upgrade over Lock, but not for $18M vs rookie deal.  Carolina went down this road with Darnold, they very well might feel like doing a similar thing with Baker is not good business.

Seattle and Carolina are in a decent position to draft a QB in round 1 this year if they like one of them enough to do so.   Detroit has pick 32 and 34, so they could easily select a QB there

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It's unlikely to be resolved before the draft.  Seattle, Panthers, and Pittsburgh may have their eyes on a rookie QB, perhaps settling for Mayfield as a consolation prize if thwarted.

(Given Goff and the upcoming 2023 crop, to say nothing of myriad other needs, I have no idea why Detroit would consider a Round #1 QB in 2022.)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

It's unlikely to be resolved before the draft.  Seattle, Panthers, and Pittsburgh may have their eyes on a rookie QB, perhaps settling for Mayfield as a consolation prize if thwarted.

(Given Goff and the upcoming 2023 crop, to say nothing of myriad other needs, I have no idea why Detroit would consider a Round #1 QB in 2022.)

b/c the senior personnel exec for Detroit drafted Baker #1 overall 4 years ago

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

b/c the senior personnel exec for Detroit drafted Baker #1 overall 4 years ago

All the more reason to not take a rookie QB early in the 2022 draft (as so many silly mocks suggest they will), yes. 

Unless Goff has a career year in 2022 there is no way Detroit keeps him.  I know the Lions brain trust loves Baker (who isn't intrinsically as bad as he was last year) but others will be arguing for a 2023 draftee instead.  Way cheaper, way more potential.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:53 PM, AkronsWitness said:

I dont really subscribe to his salary being that much of a problem. Its all posturing. Especially when you look at some of the teams who are looking to get him. Who exactly is SEA/DET paying that they wouldnt have 18M for a 1 year flier QB? Are the Seahawks or Lions really that cash strapped that they couldnt afford a whopping 18M for a 1 year potential franchise QB?

Also, 18M is nothing in QB terms, its quite literally the league average. He is the 15th highest paid QB in the league this year. Teams acting like the 18M Baker is owed is some back breaking amount of money is a load of BS

We got teams out here paying 23M for slot receivers but acting like Baker making 18M is just impossibly too difficult to bring in. Give me a break.

I hope Berry has diamond hands and holds onto him as long as he needs to until a team gets desperate and/or their teams QB gets injured. Smoke them out, dont let them smoke you out. You have the asset they need, not the other way around.

This is from NFL Insider Tony Pauline's article today:

The latest on Baker Mayfield

The feeling around the league is that Baker Mayfield will be traded on the second or third day of the draft. The frontrunners always mentioned are the Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks, as Trey Wingo and I spoke about last Tuesday during Draft Insiders. If the Seahawks trade back into the bottom part of Round 1 for a signal-caller, as I mentioned Friday, they’ll be out of the Mayfield sweepstakes.

Sources confirm what I’ve mentioned several times with Trey. The Browns will have to pay a large portion of Mayfield’s contract in 2022 after they trade him. As one source told me, the Browns will essentially be buying a draft pick.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

2 hours ago, jg77 said:

I think he'll have to wait for an injury to a starter to get traded and even then that team might not want to deal w/ him.

Quite likely, yes. 

With more total cap space than anyone else (Spotrac: $14,735,667, with 68 signed) Cleveland is in the catbird seat, willing and able to retain Baker Mayfield until 2023 as necessary.  Carolina has $12,304,004;  Seattle ($1,969,954) and Pittsburgh (-$5,572,181) are not in the market.  Meanwhile, Carolina's #6 pick is their only one in the top 136;  they likely don't want to expend that on Malik Willis [a year before the Young-Stroud sweepstakes].

Thus, if anyone makes a serious move for Mayfield it will be the Panthers but there's no rush.  (FWIW, the geek mocks have Willis going to Seattle as the only QB taken in round 1.)

8 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think Baker could help DJ Moore out, he is a good deep threat and one of Baker strengths is the deep ball. 

I'd like to see him in Carolina. 

It seems like it's down to Carolina, Seattle and possibly Detroit. That said, can one manage Robbie Anderson publicly declaring that he didn't want Baker on the Panthers?

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1