Matt Ryan Traded to Colts for a 3rd Round Pick

bigbadbuff

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Nah people are blowing it out of proportion. He doesn't even need to be "good". He just needs to be respectable and Indy is a threat.

Indy's offensive receiving threats leave a lot to be desired. Their O-Line and JT are obviously good. 

Matt Ryan has literally been mediocre each of the last three years and he's only getting older.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So you're going to blow even more capital to move up next year because you're trying to win now? I just don't understand it.

Not really.  Moving up to draft a rookie QB seems like a long-term move.  They have a fairly solid roster right now, so they can actually afford to give up an extra pick or two, while trying to win a little bit now too. 

He wasn't late in the year. Pretty much couldn't do anything right from the games I watched.

Compare Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz from late last year (the last 5 games) and tell me what you come back with.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Not really.  Moving up to draft a rookie QB seems like a long-term move.  They have a fairly solid roster right now, so they can actually afford to give up an extra pick or two, while trying to win a little bit now too. 

So their play is for Matt Ryan to "win now" but also move up next year to draft his replacement? All after giving up a 1st round pick for Wentz and a 3rd rounder for Ryan? Interesting. Again, just seems like they're living year-to-year.

I'm willing to entertain the Matt Ryan resurgence in Indy but I'm not going to lie and say that Ryan did have big washed vibes the last year+ in Atlanta (independent of talent). 2021 Matt Ryan might not even be a top 10 QB in the 2022 AFC. Right now, I tend to lean towards Ryan taking the Roethlisberger mantle but I really hope he bounces back.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Compare Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz from late last year (the last 5 games) and tell me what you come back with.

So their play is for Matt Ryan to "win now" but also move up next year to draft his replacement? All after giving up a 1st round pick for Wentz and a 3rd rounder for Ryan? Interesting. Again, just seems like they're living year-to-year.

It's a moot point because Ryan was set up to fail in atlanta this year. Wentz had ample opportunities and was awful when it counted. The colts had enough for him to succeed and he didn't. Indy kicking the tires for a 3rd is not a bad move at all.

It's a moot point because Ryan was set up to fail in atlanta this year. Wentz had ample opportunities and was awful when it counted. The colts had enough for him to succeed and he didn't. Indy kicking the tires for a 3rd is not a bad move at all.

"kicking the tires for a 3rd" the year after you also gave up a 1st is laughable, especially for a guy with no arm strength, no mobility, and no success since his clear outlier 2018 MVP season.

You're kind of right about that.  They just got it wrong with Wentz.  It happens.  About all you can do is dump the guy like they did and move on.  They really blew it with that Wentz trade.  I can understand it though, because Frank Reich was probably pounding the desk for him.

• Like 2

"kicking the tires for a 3rd" the year after you also gave up a 1st is laughable, especially for a guy with no arm strength, no mobility, and no success since his clear outlier 2018 MVP season.

Agree to disagree. We'll see what happens this year.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

They had a decent prospect but they cut him last year(Eason)