Matt Ryan Traded to Colts for a 3rd Round Pick

bigbadbuff

7 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Only explanation is they're doing Ryan a huge solid, which he deserves but this it not a sport that typically rewards "nice guys" in the front office. We'll see how this plays out. Fontenot and crew were in a tough spot. 

Yeah, it's hard to get good compensation when it's your own organization tanking the return.

Just now, BofaDeez54927 said:

Yeah, it's hard to get good compensation when it's your own organization tanking the return.

Not only that, Indy had all the leverage here. For all the Falcons knew, Indy could've gone for Baker or Jimmy G. Indy played this well, waiting it out. 

I don't think any other team was seriously interested in Ryan. Seattle and Philly were briefly mentioned, but I never saw it. 

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

They swapped Wentz for Ryan and got an extra probable 2nd rounder. Can't hate it too much. 

Colts fans having a hard time with Wentz deal L. But that’s a sunk cost.  

Biggest argument is Ryan isn’t his former self so much like Rivers in 2019, they likely can’t go far in January.   That’s fair.  But it doesn’t change belief that Ryan probably a better fit in Indy esp given Wentz wore out his welcome.   The one guy I’d have considered was Winston as no picks involved (and still some ceiling) but otherwise I’d probably take Ryan over JimmyG given he can come in now and over Baker.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

So that Pitts pick looks really awful now doesn't it.  Could have had any QB not named Lawrence, Wilson, Lance. 

They were rumored to be interested in Lance. Saw something on The Athletic about how they liked Lance over Fields last year & Albright also mentioned that any team that wanted Lance had to trade up to 3 to pass the Falcons. They also sent their GM & HC to his pro day and had extensive conversations with Lance's coaches last year according to a NDSU beat reporter.

17 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I love ignoring they traded a 1st and 3rd for Wentz.

Nothing the media loves more than sucking off Ballard, for whatever reason. Must give them a lot of inside info, cause lord knows his result don't justify they amount they slurp on him.

The Wentz trade was both arrogant & impatient. They traded premium picks and took on an albatross of a contract. If they were really patient they would have just rolled with a guy like Bridgewater for a year and made a stronger pitch for a top tier QB like Rodgers or Watson, which is what the Broncos were able to pull off successfully. 

I will say that, if they couldn't get Rodgers or Wilson (and obv not getting Watson), this was the next best move they could have made. So, they did well for themselves with the QB they got and the compensation given up. Issue of course is its a 2-3 year stopgap and they'll need another plan in the near future.

Edited by 49ersfan

21 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's definitely not bad. He was playing with garbage in ATL and still kept them competitive.

He was the highest paid player in the league at one point was he not? I get Atlanta hasn't exactly been great but his play has pretty much dropped off a cliff since Shanahan left.

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

This man threw more INT’s than TD’s in his final 9 games last year and we are acting like the Colts are getting 2018 Matt Ryan.

They acquired a game manager.

Helps to actually watch games than look at box scores. He was 6th in sacks (40) and 1st in knockdowns (85). If that wasn't enough for you, take a look at his receivers. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

This man threw more INT’s than TD’s in his final 9 games last year and we are acting like the Colts are getting 2018 Matt Ryan.

Which is, fortunately, exactly what they need lol.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Seattle.

Not if they want a shot at all the top tier QBs coming out in 23'. Baker's in that no man's land of a guy that's good enough to keep you from the top of the draft but bad enough that you still lose.

18 minutes ago, ACO said:

Yikes

yikes..to all the Falcon fans that swore up and down he was 100% untradeable.

Colts are substantially better though. Ryan's situation is a lot like like Brady's final year in NE where some thought he was washed.

6 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

The team around him was terrible 

I feel like this is going to be a bounceback year, especially paired with Taylor and the colts OL

• Like 1