Matt Ryan Traded to Colts for a 3rd Round Pick

bigbadbuff

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Okay, that's fair. I wasn't aware he'd asked out.

According to his press conference today, Matt said he had a zoom call with the Colts on Saturday (Ballard, Reich OC Brady and others) and after that meeting he talked to his wife and decided then that he wanted to leave Atlanta.

18 hours ago, swoosh said:

Fired? Let's take a deep breath and relax now. The dead cap is all this year, a year they clearly aren't going to be competitive. No big deal. The Falcons are top 5 in cap space this year. This is them resetting. 

Yes, the 3rd is a little disappointing at face value, but what other choice did they have? Indy was likely their only suitor, so you have to tip your cap to them for waiting it out. Indy probably had no interest in Baker, but the Falcons didn't know that. Indy could use Baker as further leverage. Possibly Jimmy G too. Fact of the matter is the Falcons weren't winning with or without Ryan, so a day two pick is better than nothing. Also, I'd put Ridley money on the Falcons working with Ryan to find him a team he was interested in. I doubt they would've set him to the likes of Houston for a third, not that Houston would've been even interested. 

This front office was dealt a tough hand, with an aging roster and hardly any cap room. They're just doing what any good front office would be forced to do - resetting. Now comes the challenge of hitting on these draft picks. Next month will be fun to watch, with #8 and four day-two picks. Great draft to have an abundance of picks in the top 100 or so. 

But why would you reset in a horrible division? You could say 18-20 teams aren’t realistic SB contenders going into the year. Should they all tank? At some point, tanking produces asymptotic returns (if half the league had that mentality).

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Now go get him some actual WR's to throw to besides Pittman. Just sucks this wasn't completed just after the Wentz trade. 

Maybe then they could of spent some of that money on top FA WR.

Jarvis Landry would be a good fit there. The Colts need more than Taylor and Pittman.

3 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

But why would you reset in a horrible division? You could say 18-20 teams aren’t realistic SB contenders going into the year. Should they all tank? At some point, tanking produces asymptotic returns (if half the league had that mentality).

SB contenders? They’re not even playoff contenders. It was the smart thing to do here, especially because they were doing right by Ryan. The compensation is what it is, but that was dictated by not a lot of teams needing a QB and also sending Ryan somewhere he wanted to be. The dead cap is a non issue. It’s forgotten next year. If you hang onto Ryan, not only are you doing a disservice to him, your cap situation is worse off beyond this year, and you don’t have an extra 3rd. I don’t see any benefit in keeping him, so please let me know why the front office should be fired for this.

I genuinely feel like I just took a trip to Indianapolis to welcome Matt Ryan. I arrived shortly before the trade was announced and left shortly after he arrived in town. I wonder what will happen if i visit Chicago 

5 hours ago, swoosh said:

SB contenders? They’re not even playoff contenders. It was the smart thing to do here, especially because they were doing right by Ryan. The compensation is what it is, but that was dictated by not a lot of teams needing a QB and also sending Ryan somewhere he wanted to be. The dead cap is a non issue. It’s forgotten next year. If you hang onto Ryan, not only are you doing a disservice to him, your cap situation is worse off beyond this year, and you don’t have an extra 3rd. I don’t see any benefit in keeping him, so please let me know why the front office should be fired for this.

They will be… after this year. It’s a lame duck season by the looks of it (not sure what the contract situations are).