DC Movie Universe

devils1854

Fundamentally, DC's problem is that they won't commit to the long game, like Marvel did.

If they had done character one-offs first that were well done, we'd care more about an ensemble piece like JL.  Creating an ensemble piece to make us care about the solo movies isn't how you create a bond with new viewers you want to introduce to the DC universe - you literally then are only catering to those who are already committed, and it's a MUCH smaller piece of the viewer pie needed to sustain these kind of big budget trilogies/movie-bundles.   Just like the MCU had Iron Man, CA, Thor all established - and had characters like Black Widow & Hawkeye (along with Loki) then did the Avengers - where we only need to deep a little more character intro/development on the rebooted Hulk and more in-depth on Black Widow.    Avengers killed it because people already cared about the core and the surrounding cast.   We cared about Maria Hill and agent Coulson and Nick F...well we still all think Fury's a jerk, but we're invested in him.      

Contrast the above to JL, where with no real backstory other than 10-sec clips, the movie had to start by making us care about the new core members - which then took away from actual storytelling beyond being an intro piece...and giving us a real Black Hat that made us worry (Steppenwolf was a joke), or to really make viewers feel the impact of the events of BvS.  Instead it was a movie that pretty much took any of the supposed gravitas of the events in BvS. 

Rather than do JL, DC should have done the Flash/Aquaman solo movies - with WW, and Batman/Superman in the fold, introducing Cyborg (since he tied into the Steppenwolf angle with the cubes) would have been pretty organic.  And then we would have had way more time to delve into the character pieces at a deeper level than 2-liners about the major events of BvS (I mean, 3 lines on Bruce Wayne's guilt over Superman's death?  "You can't blame yourself?" & that's it? SMH).   Literally maybe 5 minutes on the impact of Superman's death, and nothing more.   That's what happens when you have to introduce 3 new core members AND try to bring back Supes AND try to create a credible Black Hat - guess what?  It can't be done.    But DC's concern that the public needed a JL-style movie to stem the tide of crapitude...well you have to care first about the heroes and their immediate entourage.   Going back and doing an origins movie on Flash/Aquaman shows that DC has it back-asswards.   Oh well.

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

This would be an awesome fit if true.

I dont believe it.    Reminds me of all the other garbage rumors out there that turned out to be false.   Hamm as Batman has been a popular fan cast choice for awhile, and those usually turn out to be false.  On top of that, WB/DC is still in the process of restructuring things after Justice League.   Until that dust settles and they decide what projects to push forward with, they wont be thinking about who to cast where.

Perfect look for Bruce Wayne though.   Great actor as well.

I wont believe any casting rumors until its confirmed Ben is stepping down.   If he does, and they just straight recast it, this would be an ideal fit.  However, I have to believe that, if Ben is stepping down,  they will use Flashpoint to perhaps get a younger Batman in there.....likely whoever Matt Reeves wants.

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 1

The dude is a gorgeous man, has played Bruce Wayne already in Mad Men(and knocked it out of the park), is like 6'2-6'3, and has broad shoulders.

If he just wasnt 46 years old. He can probably pull off very late 30s or maybe early 40s, but the universe would be in a pickle again after he does 3 movies in 5 years and looks old.

18 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont believe it.    Reminds me of all the other garbage rumors out there that turned out to be false.   Hamm as Batman has been a popular fan cast choice for awhile, and those usually turn out to be false.  On top of that, WB/DC is still in the process of restructuring things after Justice League.   Until that dust settles and they decide what projects to push forward with, they wont be thinking about who to cast where.

Perfect look for Bruce Wayne though.   Great actor as well.

I wont believe any casting rumors until its confirmed Ben is stepping down.   If he does, and they just straight recast it, this would be an ideal fit.  However, I have to believe that, if Ben is stepping down,  they will use Flashpoint to perhaps get a younger Batman in there.....likely whoever Matt Reeves wants.

Jon Hamm would be the best Bruce Wayne ever. Though I wonder how he would fit as Batman though. One thing for certain, he would be the only guy who solve every problem by telling the villain how its going to be, and no one would care cause he's just so damn convincing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jon Hamm would be the best Bruce Wayne ever. Though I wonder how he would fit as Batman though. One thing for certain, he would be the only guy who solve every problem by telling the villain how its going to be, and no one would care cause he's just so damn convincing. 

Ha...yeah, I dont think the rumor is true at all.    Like I said, its just like with Bryan Cranston as Lex and Johnny Depp as the Riddler....popular fancast choices that someone eventually turned into a rumor that they were being seriously considered for the part....even though they werent.

And again, until its officially confirmed whats going on with Ben, I doubt any rumors of his replacement are true.    When WB officially announces Ben is done or Matt Reeves tweets that he cast someone else as Batman, thats when Ill believe it.    IIRC, when Ben was announced as Batman to begin with, no one expected it.....and almost everyone hated it.  

Edited by FourThreeMafia

6 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Hamm would have been a perfect choice 10 years ago, but I dont see it now if they want to go younger.

Yea I would love to see Hamm’s take on Batman, but as it’s been pointed out, he presents the same problem they have with Affleck. He would have to be an older version, while they clearly want to go younger. 

If Affleck was allowed to make his Batman film(s), it would have been perfect to see Hamm as Tommy Elliot opposite Affleck. 

11 hours ago, August4th said:

kinda want DC just to focus on making the best solo/one-off DC films they can make...

Agree with this...

don't need to be connected in some universe

Completely disagree with this.

I mean, it wouldnt be even remotely hard to make great solo movies while keeping the universe connected.    The Marvel movies....especially the early ones, were fine movies on their own with just little things here and there to connect them....but the stories didnt revolve heavily around them being connected.   They were fine on their own.   There is no reason why DC cant do that as well.

Taking away the connection would be completely stupid unless they completely scrap the existing DCEU, which isnt going to happen.   Aquaman is on its way, and the next thing they should be focused on is Flashpoint, and to a somewhat lesser extent, Reeves Batman.     Use Flashpoint to retcon whatever needs to be fixed or swap out actors that need to be swapped out, and then after that, decide where the DCEU goes from there.

The biggest issue isnt the fact that its connected....its the fact that its rushed.   DC needs to ignore what Marvel is doing because it really doesnt matter at all.  They are where they are, and regardless of where they are, they arent going to prevent people from seeing a quality DC movie.    The only thing thats going to prevent people from watching DC movies is whats prevented them so far.....rushed, messy movies with poor character development that arent really sure what they want to be.

Hamm has been rumored for Batman since the same time Bale was Batman.  I have never seen it.  When I look at Hamm's work as an actor, I see what Bruce Wayne is trying to look like, but not what Bruce Wayne is.  This is why I think Christian Bale will forever be the best Batman/Bruce Wayne, and it's for reasons that Joseph Gordon Levitt's character alluded to in The Dark Knight Rises.  That little something beneath the suave confidence of Bruce Wayne that suggests that's not really him, the part that couldn't be hidden, the part that his character saw.  Bale did that perfectly.  The best scene is in Batman Begins when he goes to that place with the two women who get into the pool.  He was acting like an entitled D, but underneath you could see that he didn't really want to be there at all, and that it was difficult for him to put on the show.  When people were talking about Batman, there was that look that you as the audience could understand, but none of the characters could, and it was masterful acting.  This same thing happened several times throughout that series.

With Hamm, I don't think you get that.  Doesn't anybody wonder why he's been in more TV than film?  He's a TV actor.  Not saying he's a bad actor, I'm saying he doesn't have the intangibles as an actor to take on a major franchise because he's basically a face and a character actor.  It's the same thing with Jon Bernthal just so people know I'm not trying to crap on Hamm.  Bernthal is a TV actor.  His mannerisms and his acting are the same no matter which character he plays, and it's why he isn't a movie star yet.  I love Bernthal as what he is, but he's not much more than what he is, and same thing with Hamm.

The other one, Armie Hammer... That one is even worse.  I have seen him in so many movies and he has never ONCE commanded the attention on screen.  I've known who he is for a long time and I've thought the same thing for a long time.  He has no presence whatsoever.  He's good, but he's invisible.  I watched Free Fire and, knowing who Hammer is, I didn't even realize it was him in the movie until I looked up the credits after. 

I think Affleck has done a good job as Bruce Wayne, a really great job as Batman, but he can certainly be improved upon.  If they do go elsewhere, I really hope it's somebody with that edge as an actor.  I think Phoenix has it.  Hardy definitely has it.  Fassbender.  I definitely think Jake G. has that acting ability, but I don't think he looks the part, and his voice is too effeminate. 

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think Affleck has done a good job as Bruce Wayne, a really great job as Batman, but he can certainly be improved upon.  If they do go elsewhere, I really hope it's somebody with that edge as an actor.  I think Phoenix has it.  Hardy definitely has it.  Fassbender.  I definitely think Jake G. has that acting ability, but I don't think he looks the part, and his voice is too effeminate. 

Karl Urban

Yet again, Karl Urban is too old if they are looking for a younger Batman.   I like him, though.

I know Bruce Wayne is somewhat pretty boyish, but Armie Hammer is way too pretty boyish for Batman.      He would be better as Hal Jordan IMO, if anything.

Tom Hardy?   I like Hardy and would like to see him in another DC role....but not Batman.   He is Venom now though, so I doubt it.

Honestly, I dont really know who they can replace Batfleck with.    There isnt some perfect casting choice like there was with Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark.     And most suggestions I see are terrible.   May have to go with a relative unknown like Tom Holland and Henry Cavill were.