DC Movie Universe

devils1854

Okay, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that all the movies DC has announced would release BEFORE Flashpoint? 

Reading that Peter Jackson is deciding between DC and Amazon's Lord of the Rings thing, what if all the bad ideas DC is throwing out there is just because they're flinging a bunch of crap hoping something sticks/see what works only to bring in a concrete Universe runner for Flashpoint and beyond? 

I highly doubt Peter Jackson would go to DC considering the state of their universe right now if it wasn't for more of a broad strokes type thing and creative control over the universe, and I highly doubt he'd want to take on that role unless DC was planning on rebooting it.

So what if all these bad ideas is just DC doing test runs on a few characters to see what works/what doesn't work? 

32 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I highly doubt Peter Jackson would go to DC considering the state of their universe right now if it wasn't for more of a broad strokes type thing and creative control over the universe, and I highly doubt he'd want to take on that role unless DC was planning on rebooting it.

Word is he has his eyes on some obscure character the way Spielberg is with Blackhawk or whatever his name is.  

Will the hobbit stans even allow Jackson to ever leave the LotR franchise?  LoL

Edited by thrILL!
Autocorrect is the devil

38 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Okay, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that all the movies DC has announced would release BEFORE Flashpoint? 

Reading that Peter Jackson is deciding between DC and Amazon's Lord of the Rings thing, what if all the bad ideas DC is throwing out there is just because they're flinging a bunch of crap hoping something sticks/see what works only to bring in a concrete Universe runner for Flashpoint and beyond? 

So what if all these bad ideas is just DC doing test runs on a few characters to see what works/what doesn't work? 

Shazam got a movie because Marvel was doing....Captain Marvel and it's a partial response to that and it was ready to go so it got greenlit. 

Aquaman was always going to get a movie since they've had Mamoa cast in that role since like 2012 or something. 

D.C isn't just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, they're doing movies just to pad out the schedule until they figure out what they're doing.....they're now seven films into the universe and still don't have a clear idea for it.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:36 PM, DingoLadd said:

D.C isn't just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, they're doing movies just to pad out the schedule until they figure out what they're doing.....they're now seven films into the universe and still don't have a clear idea for it.

Seems to me, thats exactly what they are doing.

If they werent just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, they would have a better idea of what they are doing.

Outside of the Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman 89, DC hasnt done much better than average.    Wonder Woman was solid, but not as good as many made it out to be.  Man of Steel....again, solid, but with flaws.    BvS was passable, but so rushed.   Justice League was extremely mediocre.    Suicide Squad was a trainwreck,

If you are right, and DC is doing Shazam as a "counter" to Captain Marvel, it basically proves exactly what is wrong with WB and the DCEU.   They arent focused on making great movies and stories....they are focused on competing with Marvel, even though Marvel is in a completely different situation because they did it the right way from the start, and gained fans trust....whereas very few have faith in WB to make a great movie.

Aquaman should be decent IMO.....a fun popcorn movie if nothing else.

Shazam IMO will bust hard.   Very hard.    Such a stupid stupid decision to roll that character out at this point.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, DingoLadd said:

Shazam got a movie because Marvel was doing....Captain Marvel and it's a partial response to that and it was ready to go so it got greenlit.

Shazam got a movie because Dwayne Johnson wanted to be Black Adam, and the only way to shoehorn that in is to actually do a Shazam movie. I know he supposedly isnt in the 'Shazam!' movie at this point, but in order to get to Black Adam, you have to go through Shazam.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Seems to me, thats exactly what they are doing.

If they werent just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks, they would have a better idea of what they are doing.

Outside of the Dark Knight Trilogy and Batman 89, DC hasnt done much better than average.    Wonder Woman was solid, but not as good as many made it out to be.  Man of Steel....again, solid, but with flaws.    BvS was passable, but so rushed.   Justice League was extremely mediocre.    Suicide Squad was a trainwreck,

If you are right, and DC is doing Shazam as a "counter" to Captain Marvel, it basically proves exactly what is wrong with WB and the DCEU.   They arent focused on making great movies and stories....they are focused on competing with Marvel, even though Marvel is in a completely different situation because they did it the right way from the start, and gained fans trust....whereas very few have faith in WB to make a great movie.

Aquaman should be decent IMO.....a fun popcorn movie if nothing else.

Shazam IMO will bust hard.   Very hard.    Such a stupid stupid decision to roll that character out at this point.

I don’t disagree with you guys that they don’t have a plan. And I don’t disagree with the point that DC is focused Marvel and not on DC.

But I disagree with this. Shazam is the smartest move they’ve made this entire time. Marvel built the MCU on the backs of B-list characters (having sold away their A-list franchises) and it worked so well because the vast majority of people are unaware of what to expect from these characters.

Shazam is in the same boat. Most people will not know what to expect of him, but since it’s a movie about an 11 year old who can turn into “Superman”, it’s going to be family friendly. That alone is going to make it a $400m movie at the domestic box office. Throw in a sequel with the Rock in it and that’s a movie that should hit $1B at the worldwide box office.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

I will repeat my stance that the DCEU should be thinking hard about doing good standalone movies first.    And getting away from tech-wow directors.     

They have the best comic material to work off.  But they have zero direction overall, and they make awful, awful, awful choices for directors & writers & actors.   Suicide Squad was an abomination.    

Ironically MoS had the right formula with telling a good background story - but Cavill was a horrible choice.  And that last act was just awful, Transformers-level violence that did nothing to really pay off or develop the character in any way, shape or form.   

The effects were cheezy, and it's clearly outdated compared to what movies can do now - but there's a reason Christopher Reeve's Superman & even Superman 2 are so loved.   It focused on the characters.  Lois Lane, Clark Kent,  Perry White, and yes, even Lex Luthor were well-done - for the era in which it was filmed (remember, Star Wars was just leagues ahead of what movies could do then).   

Create good standalones, the rest becomes easier.   Keep churning out bad actor/director choices, though, and mediocrity is all but assured.

Edited by Broncofan

In terms of Peter Jackson, if DC is smart, I would have him working on the Constantine franchise. He’s done an excellent job of handling dark fantasy storylines and if Constantine succeeds as a movie, you have a whole world of Justice League Dark type movies that can be explored that would completely set it apart from what Marvel is producing.

Pretty soon people will start to burnout with “marvel” movies, just like people burned out with Vampires (Twilight) and Magic (Harry Potter). So in the wake of the inevitable Marvel burnout, it would be smart to capitalize on a different appeal. I would attempt to parallel the struggle between good and evil in Constantine and make it analogous to the struggle of good and evil that we saw with LOTRs vs Sauron.

It would be a “superhero” tale spearheaded by a C-lister MAYBE B-lister character in Constantine that could reintroduce characters like The Swamp Thing into movie relevance.

You don't burnout from good films. The Harry Potter series ended and Twilight was trash. Marvel isn't just going to go away if they keep delivering.

Edited by Bullet Club

12 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

You don't burnout from good films. The Harry Potter series ended and Twilight was trash. Marvel isn't just going to go away if they keep delivering.

You never know. People have a tendency to find different fads even if a great product is still being put out. This thing with Marvel has been going on for 20 years. I think the fandom will start fading after A4. 

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You never know. People have a tendency to find different fads even if a great product is still being put out. This thing with Marvel has been going on for 20 years. I think the fandom will start fading after A4. 

It just hit 10 years.   It started in May 2008 with Iron Man.

And while I do think SOME of the fandom will fade, its mainly because the MCU will be drastically changed and the current staples (Iron Man, Thor, Captain, etc....) wont be the faces of the MCU anymore, and I think that will lose SOME people.

I still expect the MCU to continue on strong after Avengers 4......even if not on the level it is now.

21 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

It may have already hit it's peak but it's not going to die off. Superhero movies can hit any and all genres and Marvel has hundreds, if not thousands of characters they haven't touched yet. The most important parts of avoiding burnout is 1) Continuously high quality and 2) Mixing things up. Marvel has proven they can do both. I wish it was DC because they have better characters to me but their leadership is cancerous.

Edited by Bullet Club

12 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

This is nonsense. Everything has burnout regardless of quality. It’s because sustained quality is formulaic. Everything from fashion, to video games, to books, to sports, etc.

Marvel has a great formula for their movies, but anyone smart enough to pickup on patterns, will see the formula that Marvel has engineered. And the thing about great formulas is that they last longer than bad formulas, but they still don’t last forever.

For lovers of Superhero stories, it’s unlikely Marvel movies will burnout (as they would need sufficient exposure before feeling its effects), but for the average fan that loves these movies because they’re fun and simple, they will eventually get tired of the formula.

Look around there are already slight annoyances cropping up. Things such as Thor’s brother, best friend, and half of his race dying yet Thor is upbeat enough to crack jokes the moment the Guardians rescue him. It’s a rare person that such a moment annoys. So that’s funny right now, but 10 years from now, that same moment might go from humor to annoyance. Right not the minor political references in the MCU are cool, 10 years it might be an annoyance that “marvel chooses sides.”

I don’t know when the Marvel burnout will happen, it could be 5 years from now, 10 years from now, or even 15 years; but it’s guaranteed to happen.

33 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is nonsense. Everything has burnout regardless of quality. It’s because sustained quality is formulaic. Everything from fashion, to video games, to books, to sports, etc.

Marvel has a great formula for their movies, but anyone smart enough to pickup on patterns, will see the formula that Marvel has engineered. And the thing about great formulas is that they last longer than bad formulas, but they still don’t last forever.

For lovers of Superhero stories, it’s unlikely Marvel movies will burnout (as they would need sufficient exposure before feeling its effects), but for the average fan that loves these movies because they’re fun and simple, they will eventually get tired of the formula.

Look around there are already slight annoyances cropping up. Things such as Thor’s brother, best friend, and half of his race dying yet Thor is upbeat enough to crack jokes the moment the Guardians rescue him. It’s a rare person that such a moment annoys. So that’s funny right now, but 10 years from now, that same moment might go from humor to annoyance. Right not the minor political references in the MCU are cool, 10 years it might be an annoyance that “marvel chooses sides.”

I don’t know when the Marvel burnout will happen, it could be 5 years from now, 10 years from now, or even 15 years; but it’s guaranteed to happen.

You're telling me at some point in your life you've said "I really like this, it's always good but I'm sick of it anyway?" because that sure as hell hasn't happened to me. I feel sorry for anyone that gets burnt out by watching good movies 3x a year just because they all have a superhero in them.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

You're telling me at some point in your life you've said "I really like this, it's always good but I'm sick of it anyway?" because that sure as hell hasn't happened to me.

Yup, not with movies/shows all that often, but if there is enough proliferation into the market, I might end up being tired of Marvel movies while still generally liking them. Think about it as getting a birthday cake every day, sure, you love cake, but a new birthday cake every day, you are going to end up getting sick of cake. Right now there's a market for Marvel to do 3-4 movies a year, but it might eventually get like having cake every day. Too much of a good thing is definitely a thing.

I will say that for someone like myself to loves comic book movies, me getting tired of them is going to take a long long time, but for the more casual fan, once characters start to change up, even if the movies are just as good, they might start to drop off from them. Hence why Marvel is being smart and starting new characters with older characters who might get "retired" soon so that it isn't a clean slate ever.

• Like 1