DC Movie Universe

devils1854

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

It’s definitely a dicey lineup, but I think they can restore it quickly if the movies are good. Not average. Superman is still a major character and it draws attention. A great movie and everyone is on board again.

I agree.   Superman IMO has to be a homerun, and that will start with casting.  Gonna be hard to top Cavill.   Whatever people may think if the movies he was in, he was perfect for the role.

IMO they should have completely rebooted and focused on their major characters.   Instead, they seem to be doing a soft reboot with certain characters/actors returning and focusing on some characters that are relatively or even completely unknown, which is a big mistake IMO....especially given the current state of DC.    Even if a movie like the Authority turns out to be pretty good, there is a very good chance it bombs hard.

Edited by 43M

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

I agree.   Superman IMO has to be a homerun, and that will start with casting.  Gonna be hard to top Cavill.   Whatever people may think if the movies he was in, he was perfect for the role.

IMO they should have completely rebooted and focused on their major characters.   Instead, they seem to be doing a soft reboot with certain characters/actors returning and focusing on some characters that are relatively or even completely unknown, which is a big mistake IMO....especially given the current state of DC.    Even if a movie like the Authority turns out to be pretty good, there is a very good chance it bombs hard.

Are they doing a soft reboot? I know we are running the clock out with flash and Aquaman, but I don’t think we gotten confirmation that ezra miller is in the new universe. They just aren’t killing the box office with announcing it now. Or is just related to the Waller and friends area? I don’t have a real issue with it, it’s been pretty much in the sandbox with actually being involved. Like agents of shield or Netflix daredevil.

For the authority, creature commandos, I imagine they’ll keep the budgets smaller so any success is a pleasant surprise. They aren’t banking on those as their moneymakers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Are they doing a soft reboot? I know we are running the clock out with flash and Aquaman, but I don’t think we gotten confirmation that ezra miller is in the new universe. They just aren’t killing the box office with announcing it now. Or is just related to the Waller and friends area? I don’t have a real issue with it, it’s been pretty much in the sandbox with actually being involved. Like agents of shield or Netflix daredevil.

For the authority, creature commandos, I imagine they’ll keep the budgets smaller so any success is a pleasant surprise. They aren’t banking on those as their moneymakers.

Seems like a soft reboot considering all Ive heard (Viola Davis back as Waller, Momoa being really happy after meeting with Janes Gunn, Gunn praising Ezra Miller as Flash, etc...).

The problem is, the Authority is supposedly being built up as adversaries of the Justice League, or at least a central part of the overall story they are telling in "Chapter 1".   So I dont think they are going to skimp on the budget much if thats really the case.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Seems like a soft reboot considering all Ive heard (Viola Davis back as Waller, Momoa being really happy after meeting with Janes Gunn, Gunn praising Ezra Miller as Flash, etc...).

The problem is, the Authority is supposedly being built up as adversaries of the Justice League, or at least a central part of the overall story they are telling in "Chapter 1".   So I dont think they are going to skimp on the budget much if thats really the case.

Viola Davis is the only one confirmed. I’ll wait to see the other ones.

Yeah, I’ll be curious how they set the ground work for that. The Authority is the 5th project. A lot is going to happen before then. New Superman movie, Lantern show are the biggest. Those being hits would set it on the right path. We just have to wait and see a little.

• Like 1

I think I'm more interested in the upcoming DC films/shows than the MCU at this time.

Joker 2

Gunn's superman

penguin show

Batman 2 and 3

James Mangold's swamp thing

Green lantern TV show

the brave and the bold

spidey 4, X-men and F4 are the only MCU projects that match them in hype for me.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, August4th said:

I think I'm more interested in the upcoming DC films/shows than the MCU at this time.

Joker 2

Gunn's superman

penguin show

Batman 2 and 3

James Mangold's swamp thing

Green lantern TV show

the brave and the bold

spidey 4, X-men and F4 are the only MCU projects that match them in hype for me.

Deadpool 3 with Wolverine is at the top for me, but otherwise I pretty much agree. 

On 3/16/2023 at 4:32 PM, seminoles1 said:

I meant moreso at the box office. This will be fortunate to hit $25 million this weekend and $60 million for its entire run.

DC and all these announcements and changes has just crushed this movie. The Flash and Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom should be very worried. If those 2 tank as well...DC/WB will be in serious trouble.

I went on Saturday at 6:00PM.  I enjoyed the movie, I really did.

But the theatre was about 10% full.  On a Saturday at 6:00.  When I looked at the sold tickets for the 7:00 show, it wasn't much better.

• Like 1

Even if the movie is okay, there is literally nothing appealing about it.

Everyone knows its not getting a sequel, the universe its a part of will soon be irrelevant, and the trailers have been meh at best.

I enjoyed the first Shazam and will eventually see this one, but there is pretty much zero reason to go to the theater for it.   

6 hours ago, 43M said:

We wont know exactly how good the writing is until it comes out.    A poor casting choice will immediately kill any chance this movie has.

People are wrong about casting choices all the time. Ledger got backlash.  Affleck got backlash and he was nowhere near the problem with those movies. People were furious about Pattinson being Batman and look how that turned out. Gal is one of the biggest stars in the world because people loved her as Wonder Woman. Gunn has always been good at casting anyway. Writing is the most important thing going forward.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 43M said:

We wont know exactly how good the writing is until it comes out.    A poor casting choice will immediately kill any chance this movie has.

While thats true, it starts with writing whether regardless of when we find out

They need to focus on creating an engaging story, and then see who fits

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

People are wrong about casting choices all the time. Ledger got backlash.  Affleck got backlash and he was nowhere near the problem with those movies. People were furious about Pattinson being Batman and look how that turned out. Gal is one of the biggest stars in the world because people loved her as Wonder Woman. Gunn has always been good at casting anyway. Writing is the most important thing going forward.

While not wrong, there is alot more riding on this than usual.   Beyond that, alot of people are going to be comparing it to Henry Cavill, and how unceremoniously he was tossed out.   

This new Superman is going to essentially make or break the new DCEU.   Superman has a particular look and have a certain on screen presence.    If they mess that up, its going to bomb, even if the writing and directing are decent.

Guys like Ledger and Pattinson got backlash because alot of people couldn't see past their earlier roles.   Alot of people just didnt like Affleck.   And alot of people still didnt like Affleck and Pattinson, even though they did decent.

The biggest knock on Gadot was how skinny she was and her acting.   The first movie kinda defied expectations, but outside of one movie, she has been pretty awful.   True, she had crap writing and directing after WW1, but she isnt a good enough actress to elevate weak or even average material.  

Bottom line...writing is very important obviously, but the casting will be extremely important, especially since all hopes of success start with this movie.

Edited by 43M