2022 MLB Discussion/Game Day Thread

beekay414

6 minutes ago, biggio7 said:

I don't mind banning the shift. But, I agree it's more embarrassing players can't hit to the opposite side. They want more offense. But, they want to cut game time. More offense = longer games.

Pitch clock helps the pitchers imo. No more time outs to re Velcro your gloves and pick your nose. Rays started doing that to Rich Hill when we beat them and he struck out 11. And he was having none of it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/st-louis-cardinals-slugger-albert-150156761.html

@ramssuperbowl99 obligatory Pujols post to see where you are in your hatred of him.

Saturday’s homer sailed toward a pedestrian ramp and a concourse at PNC Park, and a scramble ensued largely out of view of the cameras. No fan came forward to return the ball, which presumably now is a valued memento that had a chance to be the best fan story of the weekend.

Until Sunday.

Sunday’s homer, landing in the bleachers, was secured by Matt Brown after the same brief scuffling that accompanies much more mundane ball deposits; indeed, during Saturday’s batting practice, a small group of ballhawks could be observed scurrying about in left field, with one man seeming to secure three of Pujols’ practice bolts on the fly.

A batting practice ball doesn’t get a fan invited to the clubhouse, but a record-breaker likely will. And in a concrete tunnel underneath the first base grandstand, a married couple from Buffalo, New York, clad head to toe in Pirates gear met with the player who has more home runs at that ballpark than any current member of the Pittsburgh organization, and they told him why they were there.

Samantha’s father, a Cardinals fan, died one year prior, on Sept. 11, 2021. With his favorite team traveling to play their favorite team, they made a weekend trip in his memory and were in the right place at the right time for a keepsake to come into their lives.

They expected to say hello, perhaps take a picture, and maybe even leave with some autographed memorabilia. A bat or a jersey from the undisputed home run king among infielders would make for a fantastic story many years down the road, or, yes, perhaps a small investment acquired only for the cost of a ticket to a Pirates game.

Pittsburgh Pirates fans Matt and Samantha Brown display the record-setting home run ball St. Louis Cardinals star Albert Pujols gave them. Pujols hit is 697th career round tripper Sunday against the Pirates on Sunday to surpass Alex Rodríguez on the all-time home run list. The Browns tried returning the ball to Pujols, but he told them to keep it.

Pittsburgh Pirates fans Matt and Samantha Brown display the record-setting home run ball St. Louis Cardinals star Albert Pujols gave them. Pujols hit is 697th career round tripper Sunday against the Pirates on Sunday to surpass Alex Rodríguez on the all-time home run list. The Browns tried returning the ball to Pujols, but he told them to keep it. More

Pujols hands over historic ball

When Pujols emerged from the tunnel, they began to talk. And then something unexpected happened — he walked away, leaving the ball behind with two gleaming white, autographed versions to accompany it, inscribed with his career accomplishments.

“I think it means more to that girl than me having it in my trophy case,” Pujols said to reporters in the clubhouse minutes later. “Unfortunately, she lost her dad, and maybe that’s a piece of memory she can have.”

The couple stood in shock in the tunnel, with Matt holding the ball outstretched from his body, calling after Pujols to make sure, one last time, he didn’t mind leaving the ball behind. Samantha, welling up with tears, looked from her husband to the fresh ball in her hand and back, scarcely able to come up with words to describe the day she’d never forget that landed from the sky.

“Thank you,” she murmured several times.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 obligatory Pujols post to see where you are in your hatred of him.

This is so funny to me I can't even hate it if I wanted to:

Fce4mGoXkAAUnVS?format=jpg&name=large

I mean tbh the first light blue area was the most terrifying offensive player in baseball for a while and the only reason we don't remember him more is because it happened immediately after Bonds and then immediately prior to Trout.

He and A-Rod are comfortably 3/4 to those 2 in terms of best offensive players of the era to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is so funny to me I can't even hate it if I wanted to:

Fce4mGoXkAAUnVS?format=jpg&name=large

I mean tbh the first light blue area was the most terrifying offensive player in baseball for a while and the only reason we don't remember him more is because it happened immediately after Bonds and then immediately prior to Trout.

He and A-Rod are comfortably 3/4 to those 2 in terms of best offensive players of the era to me.

I honestly wonder how much better Ohtani and Trout would be for any franchise that's not the Angels.