WHAT IF??? WHAT IF?

elfman1955

BROWNS don't have to trade Baker. His trade value can't get any lower. I say keep him unless we get an offer we like. Come training camp Baker holds out. Watson gets 6 weeks suspension. WE tell Baker show everyone WHAT you can do, We will trade you before trade deadline. STANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.

5 hours ago, elfman1955 said:

BROWNS don't have to trade Baker. His trade value can't get any lower. I say keep him unless we get an offer we like. Come training camp Baker holds out. Watson gets 6 weeks suspension. WE tell Baker show everyone WHAT you can do, We will trade you before trade deadline. STANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED.

I predicted Mayfield would start the season for this reason.

He could reestablish himself as a legitimate NFL QB and we would get more in return trading him.

It would be a win-win solution.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I predicted Mayfield would start the season for this reason.

He could reestablish himself as a legitimate NFL QB and we would get more in return trading him.

It would be a win-win solution.

It would, but it won't happen. He won't be on the Browns on opening day.

8 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

It would, but it won't happen. He won't be on the Browns on opening day.

You probably are right seeing as how they went scorched-earth on the QB room. They basically told him: "You ain't the guy".

But it would also would allow Mayfield a chance to show that he can be a professional, an adult, which is a needed part of the Mayfield rehabilitation project.

If he does not see that by now, well....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bruceb said:

You probably are right seeing as how they went scorched-earth on the QB room. They basically told him: "You ain't the guy".

Fire Stef. Won't happen for another two seasons, but I bet it happens. I really don't believe he's the guy. That says, he may be insulated enough that he survives like a cucaracha.

Source: I hate fakeness hidden behind PC. 

I hope I'm wrong about it for the sake of the fan base.

But it would also would allow Mayfield a chance to show that he can be a professional, an adult, which is a needed part of the Mayfield rehabilitation project.

Yup. It would be great to see. It would be great for the Browns getting compensation and for Baker getting a real shot and real endorsement from wherever he's headed.

If he does not see that by now, well....

Be careful. That's their propaganda. I'm gonna assume based on what has actually transpired thar Baker has handled all this 1000x better than the Browns organization who needs to spin this as much as possible. Baker was injured all year, the team bailed on him and he's done nothing publicly, no weird OBJ veiled shots, no "adult in the room" crap; Baker has been the adult in the room as far as what we actually know.

That said, I'm curious to see if there is any fire to it or just more spin when it was put out there that if we only knew what Baker had been up to in Cleveland that we would side against him. I'm betting there won't be anything but that the frothing fans will already have accepted it as canon at that point. But we'll see.

Edited by NudeTayne

4 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

What if we just stayed the course and gave Baker a 2-3 yr extension to begin with….

to see if he could stay healthy and show it was an injury issue afterall…

You guys still want to give an extension to a dude who is not wanted by any other team in the league? Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

You guys still want to give an extension to a dude who is not wanted by any other team in the league? Lol

I hardly think that is the case. I think we shot ourselves in the foot when we were rumored to be asking for a 1st for him initially. Indy getting Ryan for a 3rd and having him under contract for a few more years was a no brainer, especially with the current state of future QB deals. I think there is interest from multiple teams, but as of now I think we are trying to avoid paying any, or at least the majority of the 18 million, and some of the teams probably interested are also wanting to see what the market becomes for the draft prospects, specifically Willis. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Why would anyone trade for him when  they know there is a very high likelihood we release him and they can sign him at no extra cost to them ?  Rumor is that Pittsburgh is waiting to jump on him the minute we release him. 

2 hours ago, pscottdai said:

Why would anyone trade for him when  they know there is a very high likelihood we release him and they can sign him at no extra cost to them ?  Rumor is that Pittsburgh is waiting to jump on him the minute we release him. 

You're right. Those are the current rumors. My personal belief is that neither of those rumors are true.

I don't think we're going to release Baker without some compensation. Unless things become such a distraction that he must be released (think OBJ), we'll hold onto him until someone offers something. The nerds are not good at everything, but they seem to be really good at getting good trade value.

I don't think Pittsburgh would sign him even if he were released. Fair or unfair, Baker is now categorized as a "retread". Pittsburgh already has 2 of those (Trubisky and Haskins), maybe 3 if you count Rudolph. I wouldn't think they'd be ready for another one.