Do you know enough to give up on Deshone Kizer?

brownie man

Do you know enough right now to say its time to move on from Kizer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know enough to say its time to move on from Deshone?

• Yes I know enough he will not be a franchise QB in Cleveland ever
    • I will decide after he has more time
    • I will decide after I see him with a better supporting cast
    • I am sticking with him for the forseeable future

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Out of curiosity, how many of the "I will decide after more time" people think that more time means he starts games AFTER this year? That's why I voted for option 1. I'm still 100% committed to starting Kizer the rest of the season.

More time for me would include next year, but not necessarily as a starter.

This season for sure though.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Me personally? No.

Im interested to see what he can do the rest of the year and next year also.

Youth is on his side and I can't hardly hold him accountable for our WR's.

It’s really the other way around.  You can’t hold our WRs accountable for Kizer.

if Kizer had remained about the same as he was coming out of the preseason I would have a more wait and see perspective.  He has not.  He has regressed at an alarming rate, even for a project.  The kid just doesn’t have it mentally, and has horrible accuracy to go along with it.

47 minutes ago, mistakey said:

no, but i dont know enough about him to pass up on taking a qb next year.

Pretty much this. Kizer has shown some good things, but he's also showed a lot of bad things. However, it's fairly hard to judge him with the crap he's dealing with at receiver. Still, I'd have a hard time passing on a top QB prospect just because Kizer has shown some flashes.

I know enough to know that we have to proceed with decisions as if Deshone Kizer is not the franchise QB.

I do not however know if Deshone is or isn't a franchise QB given the limited sample size, the youthful stage of his career, and the unknown regarding how he will improve/develop over time.

If I assumed his skill set and talent was static, he's not the franchise QB, but for a 21 year old with his work ethic he is likely to take major strides in the next 2 years....

Now, are those strides enough to be a franchise QB remains to be seen.

When he's on, what he does on the field is as good as we've ever seen and as good as you'll see in this league in terms of being strong in the pocket with eyes down the field, shaking off blitzes or sidestepping a blitz to get to a close open throwing platform, all while making a wow throw....that is rare...we've seen glimpses of that in Kizer.

Consistency is the issue.

That's why I voted that...I/we will know in time...

Unfortunately I don't  think we'll have that answer this year. He's shown flashes, but youth, inexperience, and an atrocious WR core makes getting a solid evaluation really difficult (hopefully he gets a few games in with Gordon and Coleman at full strength). There's no way around grabbing a QB with our top pick in the draft (unless we trade for Cousins) and letting Kizer and the rookie develop and duke it out together. The Chargers were in a similar boat when Brees hadn't set the world on fire yet, so they took Rivers. We need to similarly keep trying until we get it right, and it's too soon to say on Kizer.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

More time for me would include next year, but not necessarily as a starter.

This season for sure though.

I'm the opposite, maybe check him out as a starter again next year (pending if he wins the job in camp) but I'd bench him until it is proven that we don't have a better option. Give Kessler a couple starts if he can't do any better than 50% completions and a 50 rating let Kizer finish out the year. I'm 99% sure Kessler would be a lot closer to a 90 rating than a 50 though.

4 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

I voted that I knew enough to know he will not be the franchise QB of the Cleveland Browns because we don't have the luxury of time and letting him grow with the team.  I think we are going to be in a position next year to draft the best QB available and that is exactly what we are going to have to do.  I was happy with taking Kizer in the late second because if he worked, GREAT, and if he didn't show enough, we would have a high pick in a good QB draft.

Whelp we will have THE BEST pick in a good QB draft.

So we have to take a QB and assume Kizer is not the answer.

I was sour on Kizer before the draft and have seen no reasons to change my opinion.

The words/assessment that got my spider sense tingling were/was: Highest ceiling.

"Highest ceiling" means to me that he is coming to us closer to the floor.

He hasn't disappointed in that sense.

53 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'm the opposite, maybe check him out as a starter again next year (pending if he wins the job in camp) but I'd bench him until it is proven that we don't have a better option. Give Kessler a couple starts if he can't do any better than 50% completions and a 50 rating let Kizer finish out the year. I'm 99% sure Kessler would be a lot closer to a 90 rating than a 50 though.

That, however, might interfere with completion of Tank 2.0

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to that either.

Kizer's been bad enough that it's kinda hard to argue he HAS to play.

I guess idgaf who plays qb this year....

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to that either.

Kizer's been bad enough that it's kinda hard to argue he HAS to play.

I guess idgaf who plays qb this year....

Same. I get the argument for playing Kizer has he has more upside than Kessler, but I'm quite certain that Kessler gives us a significantly better chance at winning a couple of games this year than Kizer does.

18 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Same. I get the argument for playing Kizer has he has more upside than Kessler, but I'm quite certain that Kessler gives us a significantly better chance at winning a couple of games this year than Kizer does.

They've all been bad enough I just don't think it matters.

10 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

He is only TWENTY ONE years old. When he matures as a human, his game will follow

Hopefully. But if there's a top QB prospect for us to draft next year, I don't think I'd be willing to pass on him on the off chance that Kizer becomes a legitimate franchise QB.

Archived