Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

They won't trade him to a NFC West team or NFC Super Bowl contending team (Packers, Bucs, Cowboys).

My first guess would be the Colts. Reich could do a lot with him. Second guess would be the Eagles. Third guess, the Jets. 

It's weird because you know his ceiling was Shanahan's system. So who is really willing to part with like a 1st, 2nd, and 5th for the guy and give him a huge contract...?

Well you listed 2 HC who love to try and prove their genius as a playcaller. Would absolutely believe in thier minds they could use Deebo to his fullest potential.  Hopefully that means he's a Colt. Or Saleh jumps in and makes him a Jet. Both organizations have plenty of cap!

Want nothing to do with that contract and or the draft capital to attain him. Despite the intrigue of the playcalling that could occur with Hurts/Deebo in the backfield together.

Edited by Nabbs4u

The Lions are rumoured to be one of the teams interested in pursuing him.

From an outsiders perspective, do you guys think Deebo would make much of an impact in Detroit?

QB - Goff

WR - Chark, Deebo, ARSB, J. Reynolds, Cephus

TE - Hockenson

RB - Williams, Swift, C. Reynolds

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

From an outsiders perspective, do you guys think Deebo would make much of an impact in Detroit?

QB - Goff

TE - Hockenson

If he costs much more than pick 32, I probably wouldn't be interested if I'm the Lions. He's gonna get ~$25mil/yr.

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

If he costs much more than pick 32, I probably wouldn't be interested if I'm the Lions. He's gonna get ~$25mil/yr.

Let's say it's pick #32 and #34. They'd be looking at adding a WR with either of those picks (likely). 

Maybe it means giving up someone like Dean, Cine, Brisker, etc. 

As a non-Lions fan, do you think he would round out the offense where you would be concerned about facing them (ignoring the defense)?

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

QB - Goff

TE - Hockenson

Assuming your offensive line holds up, that offense would be pretty good (depending on your OC). Goff is obviously the limiting factor, but we have seen what Shanny and McVay have done with Jimmy G and Goff, so certainly possible to run a good offense with him back there. 

• Like 1

According to Peter Schrager of Good Morning Football, the general feeling around the league is that the 49ers have no intention of trading Samuel, despite the receiver reportedly hoping to move.

"I've texted a lot of the GMs of those teams that are mentioned [to be potential landing spots for Samuel], and you could list them 12 deep, and they're like, 'They're not trading Deebo Samuel. Kyle would never trade him. He's too important.'"

Still believe this is mostly about money and ultimately the 49ers get the new deal done and people basically just forget about this. Obviously the possibility of a trade is very real, but you basically have a week to get it done. No way in hell the 49ers are making a trade after the draft (unless it was similar to that deal someone mentioned earlier where the 49ers are getting someone like Hollywood Brown back). 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

As a non-Lions fan, do you think he would round out the offense where you would be concerned about facing them ?

Deebo is always a cause for concern, he's a heck of a weapon. But Detroit has historically spent massive draft capital and cap space on WRs and none of them was enough of a boost to get the Lions over the hump. If Stafford + Calvin wasn't enough then its fair to say that Goff + Samuels won't be either

I'd think that coach Campbell would focus on building out the OL/DL/DBs more than the WR room IF he wants to get to the promised land. Spending (2) premium picks on Samuels isn't likely to deliver the results you really want.
Would the Lions have a better offense ? Sure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Assuming your offensive line holds up, that offense would be pretty good (depending on your OC). Goff is obviously the limiting factor, but we have seen what Shanny and McVay have done with Jimmy G and Goff, so certainly possible to run a good offense with him back there. 

I feel like Ben Johnson/Dan Campbell should improve our play calling. We had our best success when Campbell took over with input from Johnson. Goff was a top 12 QB during that run. Let's just say he is a top 16 QB (average to slightly above average) statistically. OL should hold up as we've developed some depth (Evan Brown did a solid job filling in for Ragnow).

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Deebo is always a cause for concern, he's a heck of a weapon. But Detroit has historically spent massive draft capital and cap space on WRs and none of them was enough of a boost to get the Lions over the hump. If Stafford + Calvin wasn't enough then its fair to say that Goff + Samuels won't be either

I'd think that coach Campbell would focus on building out the OL/DL/DBs more than the WR room IF he wants to get to the promised land. Spending (2) premium picks on Samuels isn't likely to deliver the results you really want.
Would the Lions have a better offense ? Sure.

I get what you're saying but if we took that approach, the Lions should never have selected HOFer Calvin Johnson after taking Charles Rogers and Mike Williams in the 1st round. I don't disregard learning from your mistakes though. 

Stafford + Calvin's lack of success did come down to major holes on different parts of the roster - great defense, no OL; couldn't run even if their last name as Gump; a spaghetti strainer of a secondary with a solid DL; a WR corp of Calvin and the nobodies, etc. They'd make investments in the first and second round that tended to not hit. Coaching staffs that just couldn't bring things together. 

Holmes (and even Quinn) have invested heavily in our OL and we're probably a top 6 group, especially when healthy. Holmes invested in the DL last year taking Levi and Allim in rounds 2 and 3. We have Romeo and Julian Okwara plus Charles Harris on the edge. We'll likely add another guy into that mix at #2 (whether it's Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker.. maybe Johonson?). Oruwariye is developing into a high end CB2/low end CB1. Okudah could come back and be the guy we took at #3. We also have developed UDFA's Parker and Jacobs into guys who performed really well prior to injuries. Will Harris actually played relatively well when he was lined up outside. LB is the bigger issue in our front seven while we still need to add help at safety. We've already been doing the things that you're suggesting. 

This is a ton of Lions talk in a non-Lions room and a non-Lions topic. To summarize, we have holes but I don't know if we're THAT far off from competing within the division. Maybe not this year but we should be knocking on the door next season. 

I’ve heard rumors that the Texans are in on this, with pick 13 on the table. That would be pretty significant compensation, and the Texans cap situation will be in a place next season to take on the brunt of a mega deal - but I don’t see the Texans looking too far into this. Nick Caserio seems to be intent on cost control, leveraging a young core on rookie deals while building with ancillary players across trades and free agency. He’s relatively pragmatic and not one prone to rush to take action (as we saw with his approach with Deshaun Watson).

Deebo would run counter to what the Texans are doing in this rebuild.

Now… had this been Bill O’Brien? Yeah, pretty much each pick in the Deshaun Watson trade would be served up while paying Deebo on a 4/$250mm extension. That would be exactly what BoB would do (because BoB is a moron).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I’ve heard rumors that the Texans are in on this, with pick 13 on the table. That would be pretty significant compensation, and the Texans cap situation will be in a place next season to take on the brunt of a mega deal - but I don’t see the Texans looking too far into this. Nick Caserio seems to be intent on cost control, leveraging a young core on rookie deals while building with ancillary players across trades and free agency. He’s relatively pragmatic and not one prone to rush to take action (as we saw with his approach with Deshaun Watson).

Deebo would run counter to what the Texans are doing in this rebuild.

Now… had this been Bill O’Brien? Yeah, pretty much each pick in the Deshaun Watson trade would be served up while paying Deebo on a 4/$250mm extension. That would be exactly what BoB would do (because BoB is a moron).

It would seem a weird move for Caserio coming from the Patriots and I know that a lot of people stopped taking McClain seriously during the Watson saga (and obviously now he's retired), but my understanding is that he is convinced they weren't looking at receiver

• Like 1