Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

A half season of production and he wants to be paid like he's top tier. I expect a long hold out and a lot of injuries this year. 

He had ~1000 receiving yards in 9 games last year, the FIRST nine games last year. 

Finished the season with ~1750 yards, which means his per game average in total yards was roughly the same over 17 games as it was over the first 9 games.

but sure, tell me again how Deebo only had one half a season (implying it was the second half of the season) of production

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

A half season of production and he wants to be paid like he's top tier. I expect a long hold out and a lot of injuries this year. 

That entire draft class (well, the big 4) has largely similar production to one another and they all want to get paid. Deebo's a more interesting case because of how has gone about it and the injuries. 

4 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

He's not going to holdout. You practically gain nothing holding out with the current CBA.

1 hour ago, Hopper15 said:

He's not going to holdout. You practically gain nothing holding out with the current CBA.

It's just different now. You hold out without holding out. People have talked about it in thread before. If he's really dug in and really committed, he just shows up to everything mandatory and refuses to participate ( hold in )  and then when he has to, he says "oh my back is tight" and doesn't participate but collects checks. 

You have to have a serious level of commitment to it, so I don't think it's likely, but there is certainly a chance. It's the Jalen Ramsey playbook .

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 5:16 PM, Forge said:

It's just different now. You hold out without holding out. People have talked about it in thread before. If he's really dug in and really committed, he just shows up to everything mandatory and refuses to participate ( hold in )  and then when he has to, he says "oh my back is tight" and doesn't participate but collects checks. 

You have to have a serious level of commitment to it, so I don't think it's likely, but there is certainly a chance. It's the Jalen Ramsey playbook .

What happens if Deebo goes up to John Lynch, with no one else around, and says "real shame if I fumble out the back of the end zone on a few impactful scores this year by accident - hope you trade me so that doesn't happen"?

I'd never imagine an NFL player would do this, but I'm curious where it would go.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What happens if Deebo goes up to John Lynch, with no one else around, and says "real shame if I fumble out the back of the end zone on a few impactful scores this year by accident - hope you trade me so that doesn't happen"?

I'd never imagine an NFL player would do this, but I'm curious where it would go.

WR Titus Young did something similar - ran the wrong routes on purpose in Detroit. He got cut, then got into legal trouble, IIRC.

Just now, ET80 said:

WR Titus Young did something similar - ran the wrong routes on purpose in Detroit. He got cut, then got into legal trouble, IIRC.

Yeah I'm asking if someone less stupid than Titus Young did it. 

I understand it's kind of a nonsense hypothetical since you'd have to be stupid to put that out, but a more realistic version is Deebo sliding early all the time. Not uncommon for WRs to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Jay Ratliff pulled some shenanigans. After a couple all-pro seasons he wanted a big raise. He was already on a new contract tho and locked up for a couple more years. My memory is a little fuzzy, but after a win Jerry came into the locker room and Jay (in front of the entire team) was like "Hey Jerry. FU. My leg hurts, Im not going to be able to play for a while"- - and then I think he shoved Jerry? He sat out a few weeks, got cut, went to the bears, played fine. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ET80 said:
11 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Brandon Marshall went viral for intentionally dropping passes in Denver, as well as punting balls, refusing to run during warm ups, etc.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4428598

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/244171-denvers-marshall-must-be-really-pissed-off-now

There is a grainy video there on Daily Motion that's pretty funny to watch.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean would you as a teammate want that on your team? Compare it to being a rat, people are going to talk to you but people are probably not going to want to be in your circle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

I mean would you as a teammate want that on your team? Compare it to being a rat, people are going to talk to you but people are probably not going to want to be in your circle

Yeah tactically it'd be somewhere between really difficult to impossible to do right, since you're giving the GM ammo to burn you later and all the motivation to do it.

23 minutes ago, G said:

If he's wanting 25 mil now probably pay him before WR's all want 30 lol 

He won't get 25 unless its fluff on the back end. The AJ Brown deal basically made sure of that. AJ's deal is 3 years / 57 million (19 million per season). If they keep him a 4th year it looks even worse because it's 4 years, 73 million, which a little over 18 million per season. His AAV is propped up by a 5th year at 31M in money that hasn't been paid. 

The receiver contract numbers are spicy and eye popping but they are very misleading. Hill's contract is basically 3 / 72 (24 million per) or 4 / 95.5 (a little under 24). 

The receivers are just getting fluff on the back end that makes it look crazy. 

IF they are still good enough to make that last year applicable, they'd likely just be extended / restructured to lessen the loan at that point. They would get that money though, which is what technically makes the contract "real" right now.