Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, Forge said:

Notice that @ET80 won't respond to my post about what he'd get every game with Jimmy G. 

He knows that if he looks at it, he'll fall into those eyes and be unable to resist. He'll have no choice but to say yes to a trading for him. 

Sunken Place Get Out GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

QUIT TRYING TO JIMMY G SEDUCE ME! GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

One year of elite production is now suddenly "proven" talent?

Yes.  As opposed to, for example, a QB who played in one college game in 2020 and one pro game in 2021, excelling in neither.

As far as perfect draft picks over decades - how many years did Cincinnati go from picking Joe Burrow at 1.1 and Jamar Chase at 1.4 to a Super Bowl?

You're comparing a team loaded with veteran talent to one apparently dedicated to unloading it. 

You seem to be arguing against acquiring good players except through Nick Caserio's drafting.

7 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:
7 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yes.  As opposed to, for example, a QB who played in one college game in 2020 and one pro game in 2021, excelling in neither.

Not sure which QB you're talking about, but I'm sure there's a completely unrelated story behind this.

As far as the rest of your thoughts - if that's the case, explain to me how guys like Golden Tate and Kenny Golliday can look like a future star one yeae and then vanish into thin air the following year. Those are two off the top of my head, I'm sure I can find more.

As far as perfect draft picks over decades - how many years did Cincinnati go from picking Joe Burrow at 1.1 and Jamar Chase at 1.4 to a Super Bowl?

You're comparing a team loaded with veteran talent to one apparently dedicated to unloading it. 

... loaded with veteran talent? Who? Joe Mixon? DJ Reader? Jessie Bates? Tyler Boyd? Tee Higgins?

Newsflash - other than Reader, the rest of this team of "veterans" were drafted in the last six years. Each one of these guys were brought in through one regime and are now being coached by another, so it's not flush - it's all homegrown, brought in and cultivated in house.

(Even then, those vets went 4-11-1 two seasons ago).

You seem to be arguing against acquiring good players except through Nick Caserio's drafting.

Strawman argument, try again.

I never said anything like this, I said that this is year 1 of a rebuild, and with a war chest of picks and cap space coming in the next two years (not now) there is no rush to fill out a roster today. Those moves will happen, in 2023 (when the Texans will not have $51mm in dead cap - as they do this off-season - and $100mm in cap space) and 2024 (when the Texans are looking at $200mm in cap space) all while having multiple premium picks at their disposal.

This time in a year or two, a move like this is palatable - a young core is in place, cap is restored and picks are plentiful. Not now, even if the potential offer is for a limited time only.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

As far as the rest of your thoughts - if that's the case, explain to me how guys like Golden Tate and Kenny Golliday can look like a future star one yeae and then vanish into thin air the following year. Those are two off the top of my head, I'm sure I can find more.

I'm stepping in late and reading this totally out of context, but those two examples in particular were because of going from Matthew Stafford (incredibly good) to Daniel Jones (not good). Was that the point?

12 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm stepping in late and reading this totally out of context, but those two examples in particular were because of going from Matthew Stafford (incredibly good) to Daniel Jones (not good). Was that the point?

That's a good reason, sure. My overall point is that you can't assume similar production from guys going to different teams - especially for a guy who has one elite season out of three.

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Buying a jersey before the player is at/near retirement is always dicey. 

The bare minimum for safety is waiting until at least they've signed their first multi-year extension.  But even those are showing to be less of a guarantee you're going to get more than a couple seasons of relevance out of that jersey these past couple years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Deebo Samuel isn't Tyreek Hill or Davante Adams, guys with a long resume of proven production - heck, I'd argue that this time last season, people figured he was close to becoming WR #2 behind Brandon Aiyuk - so assuming he's proven based on a single season is really putting the cart before the horse (especially when you take into consideration that any sort of deal is going to come with a contract that puts him in the Adams/Hill stratosphere).

This is slowly turning into a similar case like Javon Walker when he threatened to hold out for a better deal after only 1 year of meaningful productivity and the Packers said .......get lost. Then he got injured the following year.....traded the next for 2nd or a 3rd (can't remember) and it turned out that they were right because he never produced after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

That's a good reason, sure. My overall point is that you can't assume similar production from guys going to different teams - especially for a guy who has one elite season out of three.

Then they're great examples, especially Golladay. His skillset (esp lack of separation) doesn't translate well at all for what the Giants have going on. Mike Mac utilized Deebo in some pretty innovative and unique ways. Some guys would thrive pretty much anywhere, but Deebo doesn't seem like that type of player.

Plus, when half of someone's value is as a running back, why would you ever give them long term WR $$? The likelyhood of you getting your money's worth on the back-end of the contract is virtually nil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Some guys would thrive pretty much anywhere, but Deebo doesn't seem like that type of player.

I keep seeing this but it is false

And dont think that just because his adot (average depth of target) was only 8 yards that he doesnt have the ability to run deeper routes. He is extremely fast and is a good route runner. He catches passes down field, Garoppolo just didnt throw down field very often for one reason or another. 

Kyle and Mike got Deebo in space, not disputing that at all, but the idea that literally any NFL OC wouldnt know how to call slants, bubble screens etc and let the YAC GAWD take over is just not true. Deebo maximizes the play calls, but he is not a product of the playcalls. That is a very important distinction 

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Plus, when half of someone's value is as a running back, why would you ever give them long term WR $$? The likelyhood of you getting your money's worth on the back-end of the contract is virtually nil.

His value comes from having the ball in his hands. He had less touches than cooper kupp last year fyi. 

Most of his runs went to the edges. Very rarely was he taking on DLmen or even getting squared up by LBs.

His speed/power combo keeps defenders on their heels and very rarely do you see him receive punishment, he usually delivers it or gets guys off balance enough to get by them. Its very intimidating to see him coming at you in the open field because you dont know if he is going to hit you or run around you. He is one of the few guys in the NFL that strike fear into the defense.

Guys with a super physical style of play can still play for a long time. The best comp I have heard about Deebo is that he is a faster Anquon Boldin. Q played for a long time. 

He changed his training technique last offseason and was more professional in his approach. He takes really good care of his body. 

• Like 2