Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Does this possibly decrease the compensation in trade return?

Demand will drive the compensation. 

It may start the negotiation lower, but ultimately should not have an impact on what comes back in return if multiple teams are pushing 

Just now, Forge said:

Demand will drive the compensation. 

It may start the negotiation lower, but ultimately should not have an impact on what comes back in return if multiple teams are pushing 

If his desired location is limited to a few states....

Just now, squire12 said:

If his desired location is limited to a few states....

He'd have to get it down to one and even then, the 49ers would likely just balk at trading him if the compensation was too low. They still hold the contract. He's going to have to have some dedication to holding out on a second round contract. So far, he's earned 6 million in 3 years.  The minute he misses anything mandatory, he basically becomes a restricted free agent the following year. So then he could come back, play 2022 and just be an RFA and under 49er control in 2023.  New CBA is very harsh on the holdouts. He can hold in, but that only lasts so long. 

I think the 49ers would play ball and move him at his request, but not if he's going to give them little to no options. 

If Deebo likes Jimmy G, maybe Panthers could somehow make sense for both. Obviously more complex than what I intend to think about it, but Christian McCaffrey where Carolina eats his bonuses is a cheap replacement for the "RB" side of Deebo and he could play the slot with Aiyuk as the "WR1" when someone like Mitchell is in at RB. I have no idea how far off value wise, but CMC + 23 1st + Robbie Anderson -> Deebo + Jimmy? Leaving the top 6th overall pick lets Carolina address LT and try to compete in the NFC south, but nothing super committed to Jimmy if it fails and need a new staff + QB (minus the punted first, but they'd have Deebo).

Edited by Trojan

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

He'd have to get it down to one and even then, the 49ers would likely just balk at trading him if the compensation was too low. They still hold the contract. He's going to have to have some dedication to holding out on a second round contract. So far, he's earned 6 million in 3 years.  The minute he misses anything mandatory, he basically becomes a restricted free agent the following year. So then he could come back, play 2022 and just be an RFA and under 49er control in 2023.  New CBA is very harsh on the holdouts. He can hold in, but that only lasts so long. 

I think the 49ers would play ball and move him at his request, but not if he's going to give them little to no options. 

He reports and " strains " a quad/ hamstring and just coasts along collecting his checks and accruing a season toward FA

Just now, Trojan said:

If Deebo likes Jimmy G, maybe Panthers could somehow makes sense for both. Obviously more complex than what I intend to think about it, but Christian McCaffrey where Carolina eats his bonuses is a cheap replacement for the "RB" side of Deebo and he could play the slot with Aiyuk as the "WR1" when someone like Mitchell is in at RB. I have no idea how far off value wise, but CMC + 23 1st + Robbie Anderson -> Deebo + Jimmy?

I thought I saw this idea floated somewhere as well but seems like a weird move for Carolina

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

He reports and " strains " a quad/ hamstring and just coasts along collecting his checks and accruing a season toward FA

Yeah, if Deebo wanted to pull a Vincent Jackson, Trent Williams or Jalen Ramsey. It wouldn't be hard to do. 

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That's the idea of a hold in, but again, at some point that comes due. Thats one of those things that ugly enough to end up in arbitration for the NFL if he tries to take it the entire way. At some point, this stuff does blow back because like the 49ers docs clear him at some point. Sit out the whole season? Great, now you have 2 of your last three seasons you're out with injury and have an extensive history dating all the way back to college. Or you have attitude problems, etc. Oh, and you want to play somewhere specific and teams can lowball a contract offer to you.  OH...and the niners can still tag you. At some point, you're just hurting yourself and not getting anywhere. 

Deebo can actually get his wish if he shuts up and plays ball, you know what I mean? He tells the niners "I want to be here or here" but not advertise it and the 49ers can use a team like Green Bay as leverage against the Jets / Lions whomever and still take the deal of hte team he wants to go to. 

There has been no indication that he's searching for a specific location either, and we know the niners aren't going to advertise that (Lets not forget that Vegas appears to have been the destination that Adams wanted and that doesn't appear to have impact his trade value). 

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yeah, if Deebo wanted to pull a Vincent Jackson, Trent Williams or Jalen Ramsey. It wouldn't be hard to do. 

Keep in mind, if the team then NFI's him, they often only end up paying a portion of the salary. In the past, that has been as little as 30%, I believe. Almost certain Deebo woudl be NFI'd in that instance. 

I'm sure that there is a way around that (maybe he "pretends" to practice and pulls a hammy and says that is where he got hurt? I don't know...), but again, getting murkier and murkier and crazier and crazier lol