Deebo Samuel Requests Trade

AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Still believe this is mostly about money and ultimately the 49ers get the new deal done and people basically just forget about this. Obviously the possibility of a trade is very real, but you basically have a week to get it done. No way in hell the 49ers are making a trade after the draft (unless it was similar to that deal someone mentioned earlier where the 49ers are getting someone like Hollywood Brown back). 

There's no rush to trade him like there was for GB and KC because he has next to no cap hit, Our off-season as well as the Chiefs were on hold until we signed our receivers long-term to lower their cap hit.

I think this goes out into TC, with the Niners trying to lure him back into a long-term deal. With a trade during camp as the other option. I don't see any chance he's dealt in a week.

To me your season either goes as follows: Lance is really good, and you're contenders for awhile and next season isn't very important. Alternatively, Lance isn't very good and you're wondering if you need to be back in the QB market for the 2023 draft, which makes next season not very important.

Either way, I don't see this season as crucial for you as it is for other contenders, I see 2023 picks as the most likely compensation to either replace Lance or build around him.

23 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Even with EA's notoriously crazy AI, franchises relocating in Madden is still exceedingly rare.

Oh, I usually do that myself when I play 06 on the PS2 - bring the San Antonio Riders from the WLAF and the Toronto Argonauts from the CFL. I've gotten pretty good with the color palates, it looks like a legit representation of those two teams.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Why would it be Houston? Curious as to your logic. Everything their FO is doing is leaning towards young players on rookie contracts, not players requiring top-of-market deals.

From Houston's point of view, "everything their FO is doing is leaning towards" losing, as far as I can tell. 

Attributing sanity, though, we can argue that if Houston were to take Garoppolo with Deebo they'd get more than they can achieve with any 1st round pick:  an average starting--at worst bridge--QB and a superstar WR (which is a familiar look for Texans fans, notwithstanding management's preference for youth).  What GM with David Mills (PFF:35h, DYAR:25th) at QB, those receivers, two brain cells and a functioning synapse between them would not jump at that offer?

Every team needs at least one stud to put it on the map.  Sells jerseys.

(To be clear, San Francisco does not want to give up on Deebo.  If forced to do so, though, it can serve as an elegant solution to their QB problem.)

Unusual for a guy to want off a legit playoff-contending team. I'd be asking some pointed questions in that interview. Yeah, Deebo's picked up some wear and tear, but that comes with the territory when you can do as many things as he can. A long career was unlikely and he's fooling himself if he thinks otherwise. Just saying.

I would still have to consider trading for him if I'm the Giants, though. He consistently separates and makes plays, unlike Golladay. And he seems to have some commitment to perfecting his craft, unlike Toney.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Unusual for a guy to want off a legit playoff-contending team. I'd be asking some pointed questions in that interview. Yeah, Deebo's picked up some wear and tear, but that comes with the territory when you can do as many things as he can. A long career was unlikely and he's fooling himself if he thinks otherwise. Just saying.

I would still have to consider trading for him if I'm the Giants, though. He consistently separates and makes plays, unlike Golladay. And he seems to have some commitment to perfecting his craft, unlike Toney.

hasn't been so rare this offseason right? Adams, Hill, Brown?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

From Houston's point of view, "everything their FO is doing is leaning towards" losing, as far as I can tell.

Fair - but it's year one of a total rebuild. Last year didn't even qualify with all of the drama surrounding Deshaun Watson as well as the personnel decisions made by Bill O'Brien. Last year was a "to save this village we gotta burn it to the ground" year for the Texans.

Cleaning up the Texans cap space was job one, job two was replenishing the lost picks/players from the Laremy Tunsil trade - that wasn't happening in a year, that's a multi year rebuild even for the most adept GM/HC in football.

It could all come crashing down in a hilarious fashion (as most Texans endeavors do) but I have a sneaking suspicion that Nick Caserio is actually pretty smart. We'll see if that can shine through the stupidity of Cal McNair and Jack Easterby, but if McDermott/Beane can shine through the Pegulas and if Zac Taylor can shine through Mike Brown - anything is really possible.

Attributing sanity, though, we can argue that if Houston were to take Garoppolo with Deebo they'd get more than they can achieve with any 1st round pick:  an average starting--at worst bridge--QB and a superstar WR (which is a familiar look for Texans fans, notwithstanding management's preference for youth).  What GM with David Mills (PFF:35h, DYAR:25th) at QB, those receivers, two brain cells and a functioning synapse between them would not jump at that offer?

This is assuming the Texans are trying to compete this season - bluntly stated, they're not. They are truly in a rebuild process, they're looking to identify young talent to build a foundation on. Any QB is going to be a bridge QB (unless Davis Mills has a breakout 2nd year - highly unlikely, but possible). 

The "average QB to star WR" in the Kubiak days didn't get this team that far, mostly due to a lack of defense (JJ Watt years notwithstanding). Why run that back when the end results were less than the Bill O'Brien era, despite better assets pretty much across the board for Kubiak?

You use sanity as your logic - A symptom of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result. Texans already did Garropolo to Deebo, but it was called Schaub to AJ (with Kyle Shanahan as the OC, no less). Why go down that well again? Wouldn't that be the actual insane step?

Every team needs at least one stud to put it on the map.  Sells jerseys.

Texans are a top 10 franchise in terms of value. Lotta oil and gas money pumped into NRG, and a Sauce Gardner jersey would sell just fine. In fact, I'd argue that giving up one of the precious Deshaun Watson picks for a guy who needs a monster contract would probably have the opposite effect - the fanbase is hunkered down for a rebuild, going any other direction looking for a quick solution will probably be met with a "what the hell are they trying to do here?" response.

Anyone with a slight viewpoint into this organization know they are not a WR and Garropolo away from making a playoff run. There is an entire defense ranked 30th to account for, spending assets to bring in a QB abd WR means assets won't be used for a defense that needs it.

(Now, if Nick Bosa was in this deal, we'd be in business - but the asking price would be incredibly high).

(To be clear, San Francisco does not want to give up on Deebo.  If forced to do so, though, it can serve as an elegant solution to their QB problem.)

I understand that, but this doesn't serve the long term aim of the Texans. They're rebuilding from the ground up, Deebo/Jimmy G doesn't accomplish that. 

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I understand that, but this doesn't serve the long term aim of the Texans. They're rebuilding from the ground up, Deebo/Jimmy G doesn't accomplish that. 

But Jimmy G is an elite winner. You need to win games! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

But Jimmy G is an elite winner. You need to win games! 

I could absolutely see the Texans going 11-6 with Jimmy Gs beautiful face and Jack Easterby's evil grin, almost like and angel and devil sitting on each shoulder.

It's at that time I will quit football altogether. I'll move into a log cabin out in Montana and never speak of this period of my life again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Heard Rich Eisen speculating that Deebo never wanted to play on the west coast and would rather be closer to home (i.e. South Carolina). Think that puts the Panthers in play?

Deebo pretty much shot that down... Or at least kind of mocked it. 

But no, they don't really have a need or the draft capital. Anderson, Moore, Marshall should be fine surrounding CMC (when healthy)