Are you smarter than Gutekunst?? ........... 2022 shadow draft

squire12

Let's have some fun during the NFL draft and post who you would select if you were in Brian Gutekunst shoes as the GB Packer GM.

Couple basic concepts/rules

1. Ideally you post who you as GB GM would pick at the time the pick is made, or shortly after GB has picked.  
    1. If you agree with/are good with the GB pick, state it
    2. if not, then state who you would have picked instead
  2. If GB trades up/down, you can post you would not have made the trade and kept the original pick(s) GB had.
  3. You can't create a trade up or down that does not materialize in the actual draft

I will collect and post picks that posters have made 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BtZoRn0cgtf9P5U6s6GJWdMEGUED2zwK2nZmPt4zWgw/edit?usp=sharing

Current picks for GB

Edited by squire12
  • Like 2

Ay! Cool idea. This also is the best way to review how stupid everyone is later. Love it. Always tough for Packer fans to predict their pick because its always in the 20s. Once it shakes out its far more predictable and hence fun to try to call. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, squire12 said:

if you can sticky this so it stays at the top of the page, that would be great

16 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Ay! Cool idea. This also is the best way to review how stupid everyone is later. 

This is the fresh content we need. 

• Like 2

I'll play!

This is how stupid Dave is:

Round 1:

Pick 22:  Quay Walker LB Georgia - I don't like this pick.  It isn't the player at all.  He looks like a bit bigger version of De'Vondre Campbell.  And he certainly could develop into a similar player.  I just don't like spending that pick and subsequent contract on an ILB, especially after we just paid Campbell this offseason, and we have Barnes, who is dirt cheap.  There are a number of players, some drafted later, and some still available in round 2 that I would have taken ahead of Walker.  I think Hill or Cine at S or Johnson or Karlaftis at edge would have been a better use of resources.  I would have probably selected Jermaine Johnson II.  

Pick 28:  Devonte Wyatt DL Georgia - I have zero complaints about this pick.  I didn't watch a lot about him because I was under the impression he would be long gone, or off our board.  This guy is good.  And he won't have to play a ton of snaps until he is 100% acclimated to the NFL.  He will help Kenny.  He will help Dean.  Reed and Slaton will work with him.  I really like this defensive line.  I think he will gradually increase PT as the year goes on, much like Kenny Clark did as a rookie.  

Round 2:

Traded picks 53 and 59 for pick 34.

Pick 34:  Christian Watson WR North Dakota State - Ok, this was my guy. I cannot lie about that.  I love this.  Second generation Packer.  Giving up both seconds is a steep price.  But I don't care.  This was my dude all along.  And to be quite honest, if we hadn't landed Wyatt, I probably would have picked him at 28.

Round 3:

Pick 93:  Sean Rhyan G UCLA - I like going OL here.  We can use depth, and competition for RG or RT, and I think Rhyan will offer that.  I don't dislike Rhyan, but I like Zach Tom a little better.  I would have liked an edge defender here, but it seems that they have been picked over.  I also may have taken another WR, I did like Jalen Tolbert and Velus Jones, who went earlier in the third, the rest of the WRs I like will be available later.  I think my pick would have been Zach Tom.  I still like this pick though.

Round 4:

Pick 132:  Romeo Doubs WR Nevada - I really like Romeo Doubs.  The senior bowl stuff was rough.  But the actual college stuff looks amazing.  He is a returner as well.  He produced a lot in college and a lot of times that transfers to the next level.  This is also one of the guys that I really liked from when I started looking at prospects.  I think his stock fell just a little bit.  If I was making picks I would have taken Zach Tom, who is still on the board...

Pick 140:  Zach Tom OL Wake Forest - What can I say?  This must prove that I am not smarter than Gute, I would have taken Tom with each of our last two picks.  I think this is another utility OL, at worst for us.  Between Tom, Rhyan, Nijman, and Newman, I am confident that we have our starting RG and RT to start the year, as well as the OL depth that we will need.  I have been saying that Tom is the best fit for the Packers of any player in the draft, and I was correct.  Just to be a stooge, I would have picked Romeo Doubs with this pick.

Round 5:

Traded pick 171 for pick 179 and pick 234.  I am not going to pretend that I know much about any of the prospects at this point. Getting an extra 7th to move down 8 spots and take an extra swing at a special teams player is fine by me.

Pick 179: Kingsley Enagbare LB South Carolina - I like that he was pretty productive in the SEC.  I probably would have gone with our EDGE help earlier in the draft.  This guy should be in the battle for the reserve edge positions.  I have been wanting that position addressed  for a while.  I will have to study this guy more to form a proper opinion, but I have no issues with it at the moment.  

Round 7:

Pick 228 Tariq Carpenter LB Georgia Tech - He is going to play a hybrid LB-S role and special teams.  I would have preferred a more true safety type to push the likes of Vernon Scott, Innis Gaines, and Shawn Davis.  Watching some highlights of Carpenter, he is a sure tackler and hits pretty hard.  I didn't see anyone getting away from him once he touched him.  I think that will help on special teams.  He is certainly not a speed merchant, and when he is running it looks more like a LB than a DB.  I think this one I will defer to Gute.

Pick 234:  Jonathan Ford DT Miami - This is a FAT man.  He supposedly weighs more than incumbent TJ Slaton.  I am not normally against the planet theory, but I don't think this is a great value.  The DL currently has a: Star, Veteran, Rookie Stud, Fat Man, and Reclamation Project.  The sixth is incumbent trashcan full of dirt, Jack Heflin.  Slaton played well last season, and he fills the fat man role.  To make the team Ford is going to have to really impress, and at 340+ I wonder if he will have the stamina to do so.  At this pick I would go with my traditional safety and take Smoke Monday.  Yes, part of it is the name, but I feel that there is a greater opportunity for that kind of player to make the roster.

Pick 249:  Rasheed Walker OT Penn State - I am probably fussing over this a little too much.  I would prefer a pure RT type as a project tackle, as we have Bakhtiari and Nijman (and Jenkins) who can play LT.  But when I realize that I need to look at this like a project OL more like Cole Madison and I have less of an issue.  He has the physical tools.  We need to get his strength up and work on his run blocking ability.  This pick is fine.

Pick 258:  Samori Toure WR Nebraska - A third WR.  Malik Taylor, Juwann Winfree, and Chris Blair, you had better been working this offseason, because it just got more difficult to keep your job! Toure is good, and will definitely push those guys for their roster spots.  I don't mind the third WR, but I also kind of wanted to take a CB body type and probably ensure our pick of UDFA RB types.  That said, my WR that was left was Kevin Austin Jr from Notre Dame, and that is who I would have picked.  Toure is fine, but I would have gone with Austin.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

Let's have some fun during the NFL draft and post who you would select if you were in Brian Gutekunst shoes as the GB Packer GM.

Couple basic concepts/rules

1. Ideally you post who you as GB GM would pick at the time the pick is made, or shortly after GB has picked.  
    1. If you agree with/are good with the GB pick, state it
    2. if not, then state who you would have picked instead
  2. If GB trades up/down, you can post you would not have made the trade and kept the original pick(s) GB had.
  3. You can't create a trade up or down that does not materialize in the actual draft

This is essentially the same as I like to do each year and with exactly the same rules, except that I do it after the draft has finished, a post-draft mock where all the picks have already been made.

47 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is essentially the same as I like to do each year and with exactly the same rules, except that I do it after the draft has finished, a post-draft mock where all the picks have already been made.

That is fair to do.  You have the advantage of knowing where all players want, so seeing when a positional run happens gives you a benefit that real time doesn't provide.