The Three Point Conversion

N4L

Three Point Conversion?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Three Point Conversion?

• Yes
    • NO

In my opinion, too many games end with a team up two scores with 2-5 minutes left and they just try to kill the clock. It can be anti-climactic. 

It would be interesting in seeing how having a three point conversion would impact the end of games. Here is a scenario:

Team B is down 12 with the ball on Team A's side of the field and four minutes left to go in the game. They have all three of their TOs. They somehow score a TD with roughly 2:45 left in the game.

Then Team B can go for a three point conversion where they have one play from Team A's 30 or 40 yard line to score a TD. IF they can somehow convert this, then they can kick deep and with all three TOs and the 2min warning they should be able to get the ball back with 2 minutes left, only needing a FG to tie it. In this scenario, they need a TD either way if they don't convert (down by 6 or down by 5 under the traditional set up with a 1pt XP). It would also make it possible to come back 18 down late in a game (albeit unlikely). 

I also thought about making it a 65 yard FG, but I think starting from the other teams 30 seems like a better option. 

IMO It would make the end of the game more entertaining as fans because it would open the door for a wider array of endings. Vegas would probably love and hate it.

Thoughts?

(I am also a proponent of the half-court shot being 4 points in the NBA for this exact reason too)

54 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is dumb, all I need to do is hit 1/3 and I break even, if I've got a good offense, I'm always taking these odds, ridiculously stacked in the offenses favor.

You think a good offense would score a conversion 1 out of every three tries? From the 30? You're insane. It wouldn't even be converted 1 out of 30.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You think a good offense would score a conversion 1 out of every three tries? From the 30? You're insane. It wouldn't even be converted 1 out of 30.

yeah,  no team would ever do this except in desperation.

From the 10 or 7 or something would likely be closer to even expected odds.

Like, what's the league average for 3rd and 7+ yards? If it's around 33% that's your spot.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Like, what's the league average for 3rd and 7+ yards? If it's around 33% that's your spot.

even that would go down when you are talking TD. Don't have to cover as deep (only 10 more yards) so it's more condensed meaning less chance for underneath route to succeed. But, yeah, these people thinking from the 30 would be easy is mind boggling.

7 minutes ago, mse326 said:

even that would go down when you are talking TD. Don't have to cover as deep (only 10 more yards) so it's more condensed meaning less chance for underneath route to succeed. But, yeah, these people thinking from the 30 would be easy is mind boggling.

true. wouldn't be the worst starting point, however. I feel like from the 10, 33% sounds close to right. Might be a bit high though. Which is ok too.

I don't know why I'm arguing this though, I don't even like the idea regardless.

Archived