With the 18th pick the Titans select Treylon Burks

615finest

On 7/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, WPS said:

I'll admit to being biased but I'm not sure how you can pop any more on tape than making the below catch, reaching a top speed of 23 MPH at his size or running away from the Alabama defense like he does in these clips.

https://twitter.com/Jordan_Reid/status/1497333478765088774?s=20&t=rmM3edGruUrBD6B3gKMAAA

I'll admit I watched two videos of him on draft night and that was it.. I was so upset that all I thought was HES NOT AJ. And like I said I'm awful at seeing good WRs. But after my hissy fit for months lol. I just watched AJs and Burks highlights and yeah Burks does do some pretty crazy stuff and pops maybe not as much after the catch crazy as AJ is but pretty damn close. And it's not fair to him to be compared to AJ even tho most will. I'm on board now. 

Can't wait to see him suit up and make me look silly for doubting him xD

• 3 weeks later...

Look, about every so called "expert" basically slammed JRob for making the trade but it is potentially going to be a ridiculously great move to improve the team.  We drafted two WRs in the draft that can help take AJ's production and saved $25 mil.  We already made the deal for Woods. We also signed Hooper and will probably look to tie him up long term after this year (not to mention drafting Chig).  We retained Landry and need to extend other guys including what is going to be a $25 mil a year contract for Big Jeff. 

Now in hindsight Burks might really be a big play guy and essentially replace AJ.  Burks also looks like he might be the best WR in this draft.    

Thus all those doubters will owe JRob an apology.

Yea, lotta hypothetical scenarios. I can see scenarios of how this ends up working, but let's let some time marinate, we don't know what the heck we got yet. Not gonna lie, I expect the offense to struggle a bit with chemistry, at least early.

I gotta see some things really pan out with a bit of younger guys before I give Jrob a pat on the toosh. These next couple years are going to be interesting with so much transition. Excited to see how we handle it.

5 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Look, about every so called "expert" basically slammed JRob for making the trade but it is potentially going to be a ridiculously great move to improve the team.  We drafted two WRs in the draft that can help take AJ's production and saved $25 mil.  We already made the deal for Woods. We also signed Hooper and will probably look to tie him up long term after this year (not to mention drafting Chig).  We retained Landry and need to extend other guys including what is going to be a $25 mil a year contract for Big Jeff. 

Now in hindsight Burks might really be a big play guy and essentially replace AJ.  Burks also looks like he might be the best WR in this draft.    

Thus all those doubters will owe JRob an apology.

Interesting strategy to pat yourself on the back and call out the haters before the season even started.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Interesting strategy to pat yourself on the back and call out the haters before the season even started.

Well actually I was saying I saw the rationale for the move when the trade happened and there was more my crying and hate going JRob's way than was acceptable.  But hey, wipe the tears and be thankful.  

3 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

Yea, lotta hypothetical scenarios. I can see scenarios of how this ends up working, but let's let some time marinate, we don't know what the heck we got yet. Not gonna lie, I expect the offense to struggle a bit with chemistry, at least early.

I gotta see some things really pan out with a bit of younger guys before I give Jrob a pat on the toosh. These next couple years are going to be interesting with so much transition. Excited to see how we handle it.

Again, we saved $25 mil a year and with the acquisition of Woods and Hooper anything Burks contributes is gravy.  If he is a stud it makes the deal incredible.  If he is closer to Corey Davis good it is still a homerun.   If you can't see why JRob did what he did you simply don't understand.  NWI, McMath and Fitzpatrick all look better as well.  It isn't a stretch we don't miss AJ as much as we thought.  

We were going to have Woods, Hooper, and AJB though...

I'm pretty sure he didn't even intend to do what happened. AJB got his feelings hurt and didn't want to sign any deal after our initial offer.

If we don't get a much better player than Davis out of Burks and we gave up AJB for him, we got robbed.

Edited by TitanSS

The hope when you draft a guy like Treylon Burks is that he becomes a guy worth paying 25m per year. We essentially traded a sure thing for wishful thinking and 4 years of a cheaper contract.

Can it work out? Sure. Are the odds on our side? Nope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

The hope when you draft a guy like Treylon Burks is that he becomes a guy worth paying 25m per year. We essentially traded a sure thing for wishful thinking and 4 years of a cheaper contract.

This!!!

Most fans are now saying, oh it’s a better group because Julio and Brown missed a lot of time anyway and our TE group is much better this year. That may be true but I’m sure we’ll have injuries to deal with just like every year and it’s really not a deep group. We’re relying on two rookies to play A LOT. Woods to come back and be back to himself week 1 and for NWI to still play above what his role should be. Group has some talent but overall, it’s one of the worst in football as of right now. 

18 hours ago, TitanSS said:

By the time he’s up for a contract extension 25 mill gone be a thing in the past going for WR’s 😫 I honestly think he’s going to be a star depending on who’s throwing him the ball though. I think he’s Kenny Britt 2.O than AJ. AJ so freaking EXPLOSIVE coming out of breaks & cuts true west coast offense X receiver. Only thing stopping AJ from taking the leap to elite WR, status is fine tuning his route running & injury prone. Now back to burks, I think he’s a better route runner than given credit he just didn’t run a lot of routes in Arkansas offense because they were playing more to their QB’s strength & simplified his route tree. Slants, digs, drags, comebacks, & bubble screens. Britt like Burks had potential & game was hindered on work ethic & QB play. 

Edited by TitanRedd

I see both sides of it. Obviously, AJ was a good player for us. On the other hand, business is business and you have to make tough decisions with our cap situation. Who's ultimately more important to the Titans' identity as a football team? Jeffrey Simmons or AJB? With our cap space, we were probably losing one of them.

I'd personally argue Simmons is more important to the equation of the overall team's success with how we're built. I'm fine drafting Treylon. I like the thought process; we'll see how the results play out. 

On 8/19/2022 at 5:37 PM, TitanSS said:

AJB was not a sure thing though… and that 4 years of cheaper contract will ensure Big Jeff gets paid, who is the bigger priority. AJB was a constant soft tissue or knee injury risk due to how he played. Fans don’t take into account that teams don’t want to pay for talent that’s injury prone. AJB was a dog… but he constantly was in and out of the line up due to injuries.

It’s a risk but this teams identity is run the football and hit you in the mouth with a bunch of guys that are tough to tackle. I think AJB wanted an offense where he could catch 100 balls. He was never going to get that opportunity in TN. I’ll miss AJ but I like that they stuck to philosophy. They are filling this roster full of big athletic skill players that are hard to tackle. Just in this class, Burks, Chig, Phillips and Haskins all exhibit those attributes. 

• Like 2

You pay both Simmons and AJB. It shouldn't be a debate. 

When was the last time a team was a perennial contender because of their running game? All of the modern ones, maybe outside of Lamar as a runner, are because of the passing game.

It's 2022. I love DH too, but that's not what wins championships any more unless we're consistently holding opponents to 13 points. And at that point it's not running the ball that's winning, it's defense.

Statistically, the passing game is more likely to carry over from one season to the next. Harder to build a team and keep it competitive year after year on defense and running the ball without a good passing game. 

Not sure how the discussion is still stuck on "we should have or shouldn't have paid AJ".

AJ didn't want to be here. The reporting after the fact made that clear. He wanted to go play with his friend in Philly. AJ didn't even give the Titans a chance to say "we're not paying you what you want".

• Like 1