GDT: Broncos vs Patriots

germ-x

21 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Oh well. I am sorry for irritating you. 

It's just that he's held in higher regard than he should be. He basically quit on us after that awful game against the Steelers in the AFCCG. Shanahan asked him to come in during the offseason and put in a little more work. He responded by throwing a hissy fit, which led to Shanahan drafting Cutler. Then he completely checked out, took his ball and went home after the 2006 season.

I know he's pretty popular among fans, but I've never really cared for him for the reasons mentioned above.

1 minute ago, BroncoSojia said:

It's just that he's held in higher regard than he should be. He basically quit on us after that awful game against the Steelers in the AFCCG. Shanahan asked him to come in during the offseason and put a little more work. He responded by throwing a hissy fit, which led to Shanahan drafting Cutler. Then he completely checked out, took his ball and went home after the 2006 season.

I know he's pretty popular among fans, but I've never really cared for him for the reasons mentioned above.

I mean fans didn't fully embrace him during his time and then he got ran outta town p much after the AFCCG. He was a good player and a good dude, so I am definitely team Plummer. It's not like he was great, but he was a pretty fantastic fit for that fun era of Shanahan football. 

Cutler should have been a franchise QB, smh. 

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I mean fans didn't fully embrace him during his time and then he got ran outta town p much after the AFCCG. He was a good player and a good dude, so I am definitely team Plummer. It's not like he was great, but he was a pretty fantastic fit for that fun era of Shanahan football. 

Cutler should have been a franchise QB, smh. 

He ran himself out of town by costing us a trip to the Superbowl with his turnovers and his refusal to put in the work afterwards.

Just now, BroncoSojia said:

He ran himself out of town by costing us a trip to the Superbowl with his turnovers and his refusal to put in the work afterwards.

Well looking at his career in Denver as a whole rather than one game explains the gradual appreciation of Plummer by Broncos fans. The Steelers were the better team that day, unfortunately. I can't comment on that offseason, or the chain of events with the drafting of Cutler, bc I frankly don't remember anything about Plummer not coming in. But he was never that type of dude. That's what I like about him 

Just now, champ11 said:

Well looking at his career in Denver as a whole rather than one game explains the gradual appreciation of Plummer by Broncos fans. The Steelers were the better team that day, unfortunately. I can't comment on that offseason, or the chain of events with the drafting of Cutler, bc I frankly don't remember anything about Plummer not coming in. But he was never that type of dude. That's what I like about him 

He actually admitted it during an interview. I think was on Jim Rome's ESPN show a few years ago.  He was pissed at Shannahan's request because he felt he didn't need to put in any extra work. 

While there were so many things wrong with what he said, the thing is that Shanahan shouldn't have to ask him to put in extra work. As the veteran QB and leader of the team, you should be the first person in and last out anyway.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think the Broncos are the worst team in the NFL right now...the Giants may have a case.  At least teams like the 49ers and the Browns seem to play hard.  The Broncos aren't even doing that.  

Yeah there are two teams that have flat out quit on the 2017 season, the Broncos and Giants. As you say, even the Browns and 49ers, two teams who don't have half the amount of raw talent of the aforementioned two, are at least playing hard. 

I've been on the doom-and-gloom bandwagon for several weeks now in terms of our play, and in terms of our most recent draft (and I'll still hold to it, it's not even the results so far, as it's too early to give up on any rookies, they take time, it's the flawed process Elway is undertaking, but we've covered that before many times, no need to rehash now).

I will say there is one potentially huge silver lining to our awful play - when we were projected to be a 6-10 or 7-9 team, that put us squarely out of the top 10 draft spots, so too far away to get a top 2 QB.   After the last 2 weeks, I think we have to clearly revise our expectations of even 6-7 wins, and as others have mentioned, if we aren't making the playoffs, we might as well have the highest pick possible each round. 

Looking at the schedule, there are 3 winnable games - home to CIN, NYJ, and then a road game @IND.   Every other game we should be clear underdogs (and we could be underdogs for even those 3 games at this pace).    If we can lose out, then we actually do the unthinkable and sniff a top 5-6 pick.   Now, if we win all those games, or 2/3 and find an upset somewhere else in our schedule, then we likely still fall in the early teen's, or outside of the top 10.   Win 1-2 games, and we're in the 6-10 range. 

We haven't had many losing seasons - but if you're going to lose, you might as well go 3-13 or 4-12.   Now, none of this matters if Elway doesn't switch his draft philosophy to going for best overall talent, and not reaching for "his guy" 1-2 rounds earlier and whiffing on Day 2 picks.  But we might as well have the most ammo possible - I've said we are sorely outgunned with a play for a top 2 draft QB, and that's certainly still the case if we don't get a really high pick.   But with our D just mailing it in now, the silver lining is that this at least gives us a shot to trade up for a Rosen, if we are in the top 6-7 picks.    If we're further back, too many teams have us outgunned, plain and simple.

With our old D, it was never likely we would finish any lower than 7-9, maybe 6-10.   But now, with our D this bad along with our ST/O problems - well, it's hard to watch, but from a team construction perspective, 3-13 all the way baby.  Higher draft position can only help (but again, Elway's approach has to radically change too).

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

But honestly if we can't get our picks right what does it matter where we pick. I have little faith in Elway

Having a top 10 talent on the team will be nice. I mean, when was the last time we got to be excited about a potentially elite player as a rookie? **Hopefully**

36 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

He actually admitted it during an interview. I think was on Jim Rome's ESPN show a few years ago.  He was pissed at Shannahan's request because he felt he didn't need to put in any extra work. 

While there were so many things wrong with what he said, the thing is that Shanahan shouldn't have to ask him to put in extra work. As the veteran QB and leader of the team, you should be the first person in and last out anyway.

Like I said, it makes me like him more lol. Once Shanahan drafted Cutler, that season and Plummer were out the window 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Von is a true franchise player. He'd be a high ticket piece for a franchise wanting to make a statement with pass rush help.

Hypothetical, 2 first round picks... would Denver fans take it for Von? 

DT... isn't worth that price tag. Denver would likely have to unload the rights and contract for cheap.

No way someone offers 2 first round picks and pays the 20m/year pricetag for Von.

57 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Having a top 10 talent on the team will be nice. I mean, when was the last time we got to be excited about a potentially elite player as a rookie? **Hopefully**

Von! Who was a top 2 pick, in a ridiculously talented draft though...wish we had another top 10 in that class...Watt and Von on the same team.  

Archived