Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

On 1/16/2024 at 1:50 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Bak's medicals checked out last season.  He was "finally healthy" heading into week 1.  He was done for the year by week 2. 

Nobody is giving a premium pick for Bak.  I'd be shocked to even get a 4th unless Gute agrees to eat a large chunk of Bak's remaining deal (he won't)

Not a thing you can do in the NFL. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

now that Tom and Walker have shown they can play at a pretty darn good level already. 

Cherry picking your post.  Apologies.

But...what if I told you that one of the most important aspects to OL play is cohesiveness and knowing the guys around you?

Then what if I told you that it could very well be that our starting line may not change at all from the end of this year to the start of next year?

That's what gets me excited.  Rhyan has enough snaps to get cohesion with the guys around him.  All are under contract.  Sure we will draft some for competition and depth, but dang, I get giddy when I think about how good this line can be next year.  (and feel free to insert "team" into that sentence as opposed to "line".)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Clifton helped win a SB. It's way more valuable to have a known there than a developing player. Especially because Walker still probably needs time in an NFL program. and is now probably a top tier swing.

Too tier swing tackle?  He’s been lights out the second half of the year. I get wanting the depth at LT but that’s a lot of money that could go elsewhere as well as a roster spot

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Cherry picking your post.  Apologies.

But...what if I told you that one of the most important aspects to OL play is cohesiveness and knowing the guys around you?

Then what if I told you that it could very well be that our starting line may not change at all from the end of this year to the start of next year?

That's what gets me excited.  Rhyan has enough snaps to get cohesion with the guys around him.  All are under contract.  Sure we will draft some for competition and depth, but dang, I get giddy when I think about how good this line can be next year.  (and feel free to insert "team" into that sentence as opposed to "line".)

Still have to have talent. Green Bay just seems better at D&D at WR and O-line than the rest of the league. Obviously, quarterback too. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, HyponGrey said:

Not a thing you can do in the NFL. 

I mean, technically they can kind of.  What's already been paid out can't be.  But the Packers could convert his non prorated money into a signing bonus, and then trade him.  The Packers would have another ~$19M in dead cap on top of the ~$21M in dead cap.  Problem is that isn't going to fetch much, so there's no real reason for the Packers to eat ~$40M in dead cap for anything short of a Day 1 or early Day 2 pick.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 9:33 PM, HighCalebR said:

He hasnt.

It my untrained eye, it didn't look like Walker was getting any help last night. We could do much worse at LT than him moving forward. 

I still want to grab a guy in round 2 with the Jets pick if there is decent value at the position when we pick. I just don't see the emergency of getting a starting LT next year with how Walker played. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

If Walker continues to improve and is a top 15ish LT, this will open up a LOT of options for this team. It would allow us to move on from Bakh and have an extra $21mil for 2024 and open up draft options in first two rounds as well.

Huge huge huge deal 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It my untrained eye, it didn't look like Walker was getting any help last night. We could do much worse at LT than him moving forward. 

I still want to grab a guy in round 2 with the Jets pick if there is decent value at the position when we pick. I just don't see the emergency of getting a starting LT next year with how Walker played. 

I'd have to go back through it.. and I'm not sure I want to right now. Haha but Bosa plays over Tom... and then Tom left. I'd assume Walker got some help from time to time against Young but you can't help them all, all the time and Bosas the big dog.

But yeah initial watch the line played really well. (Nijman got absolutely worked by Bosa that's burned into my mind, but that's gonna happen) I also think we could do worse, but we could kick it up a notch. The more comfortable Love is in the pocket the better. I'd say we have to figure out the Safety position first, whether retaining, FA or early in the draft. But from there I think the squad is in a real solid state and we just take the value where we can.

I don't think Walker ever fixes his base issues, I went back through his college stuff and that's one of the main reasons he dropped from his lofty early considerations. It's not only that he got hurt and was a bit immature. But I think MLF has proved the system doesn't need a top tier LT to work quite like big Mikes or some others, looking at you Zac Taylor (who interestingly cut his teeth with Philbin in Miami, more so than McVay)

Aaand that's my final words on Walker :). Think he plays with a lot of passion and I think we needed some heat out there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I'd have to go back through it.. and I'm not sure I want to right now. Haha but Bosa plays over Tom... and then Tom left. I'd assume Walker got some help from time to time against Young but you can't help them all, all the time and Bosas the big dog.

But yeah initial watch the line played really well. (Nijman got absolutely worked by Bosa that's burned into my mind, but that's gonna happen) I also think we could do worse, but we could kick it up a notch. The more comfortable Love is in the pocket the better. I'd say we have to figure out the Safety position first, whether retaining, FA or early in the draft. But from there I think the squad is in a real solid state and we just take the value where we can.

I don't think Walker ever fixes his base issues, I went back through his college stuff and that's one of the main reasons he dropped from his lofty early considerations. It's not only that he got hurt and was a bit immature. But I think MLF has proved the system doesn't need a top tier LT to work quite like big Mikes or some others, looking at you Zac Taylor (who interestingly cut his teeth with Philbin in Miami, more so than McVay)

Aaand that's my final words on Walker :). Think he plays with a lot of passion and I think we needed some heat out there.

2024 is the biggest off-season of Walkers life. Has an opportunity to make himself a LOT LOT LOT of money this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I guess they have to ask themselves if he can improve going forward .. if they think he can then I don't know why they wouldn't just stick with him and spend resources elsewhere.  I would draft another tackle for sure, but the money from a Bak release could be allocated for something like a safety in free agency or whatever.

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

have to go back through it.. and I'm not sure I want to right now. Haha but Bosa plays over Tom... and then Tom left. I'd assume Walker got some help from time to time against Young but you can't help them all, all the time and Bosas the big dog.

Bosa started over Tom.  After 1-2 drives flipped to be mostly over Walker.  Went back over Nijman almost exclusively when Tom went out

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I guess they have to ask themselves if he can improve going forward .. if they think he can then I don't know why they wouldn't just stick with him and spend resources elsewhere.  I would draft another tackle for sure, but the money from a Bak release could be allocated for something like a safety in free agency or whatever.

I think having Walker in house makes me more comfortable to take a bigger swing at tackle. If you miss youre hurt less. Go for less polish and higher upside. I havent gotten through all the 1-2 area guys that Jets pick sits in, but Tyler Guyton is starting to become my guy. Think he looks a ton like Walker even, just without the base issues. For a bonus he just made the switch to OL around 2021, so there's plenty more to unlock there.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

Bosa was over Walker plenty.