Seattle Violated Concussion Protocol with Russell Wilson

JaguarCrazy2832

Just now, Ketchup said:

The rule is not for the players, it’s for the teams to protect the players from themselves. Part of being concussed is not exactly thinking clearly so they need the protection from the team. I also don’t see why a bunch of retired players suing the NFL has anything to do with Wilson. He’s not suing the NFL so why would it be held against him.

I know from experience. I've suffered several, unfortunately. I suffered one from an accident where I needed two months of no activity to recover. I knew enough (when it happened) to be safe with my head from the moment it happened.

Trust me, he knew what he was doing. He knows the protocol and made a mockery of it. If I'm the league, I fine him at the very least.

3 minutes ago, steelcurtain29 said:

I know from experience. I've suffered several, unfortunately. I suffered one from an accident where I needed two months of no activity to recover. I knew enough (when it happened) to be safe with my head from the moment it happened.

Trust me, he knew what he was doing. He knows the protocol and made a mockery of it. If I'm the league, I fine him at the very least.

I can see your point, but concussions also effect everyone differently. The rules are there for the team to follow to protect the players, not for the players to follow. At least that’s my interpretation. 

On 11/12/2017 at 8:30 AM, tonyto36 said:

Keep hearing from Seahawks fans that their team is holier than thou.

That seemed unnecessary and certainly doesn't fit with attitudes expressed by the majority of Seahawks fans on here.

Methinks you may have a bit of a persecution complex, bro.

Moreover, we have rules against taking shots at whole fanbases here.  So cut this crap out.

18 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

You don't think the NFL should punish a guy if he suffered a concussion and deliberately disobeyed their new rules to prevent head injuries (which is clearly to stop them from being sued by so many players).

This I think is actually more of a debatable question than you think it is.  And I'm not just playing devil's advocate here, as you know I (like you) support looking out for the players' long-term health.  I think the most important thing for the league here is documenting as much as they can about the incident, as if - down the line - Wilson or any other player who had a documented case of personally circumventing the protocol put in place "for his safety" decided to sue the league over concussion (or even other injury-related) effects on quality of life, this is the sort of evidence that would severely undercut his case (and likely have the lawyer(s) for other players in a class action suit wanting to exclude Wilson from the group).

Two lines of thought on this and it really depends on whether the league wants to hold the player or the team as the more accountable entity.  If it's the player then you suspend the player and fine/punish the team via draft pick forfeiture.  If you want to put the onus on the team to regulate their players better, you have to ramp up the punitive damage done to teams that allow this to happen so that they amend how strict they are on implementation and execution.  It's Preventative Maintenance 101.  Eventually they reach a tipping point whereby teams, rightfully so, would simply start downgrading demand (be it actual demand or willingness to pay - in the form of guaranteed monies, protections to the contracting team on guaranteed monies, etc.) for players with a history of intentionally bypassing safety protocol and putting the team at risk for harsh punishment.

18 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

And I’ve suffered a concussion and don’t remember anything until my mom was driving me home after the game. 

Your concussion experience (and opinion) does not apply across the board. Whether you agree with it or not, it is the team and medical staff’s responsibility to monitor these things, not the player’s. 

At the very minimum i think he should have to enter the concussion protocol system and sit out for a game to make sure he is fully evaluated and nothing is wrong with him.   No fines for him at all or anything though if it was up to me.  Now for the team itself yeah i can see fining them and maybe even a late round pick like a 5th taken from them sorta like the Falcons got for the noise infraction.  Im not sure it's a major violation against the rules but it's one that i can see them taking a bit serious as they are very big on safety right now even more so with the head injury problems. 

On 11/12/2017 at 6:44 PM, OleXmad said:

It is a non issue because more than likely the NFL will give the seahawks a fine/strip a draft pick and move on from this because they don't want to draw too much attention to this. Oh no he broke league rules... It's not like half the teams do that with their injury reports every single week. 

The seahawks "cheating" really? In what way aside from the stupid practice things. The league won't come down on them at all aside from the fine/potential draft pick stripping to act like they care. 

How is that at all relevant to this? Wilson skipping out on the concussion protocol should in no way hurt his future compensation if (Most likely when but who knows) he suffers long term medical issues because of football. 

If it's a non issue because of what the NFL will do to avoid scrutiny, then it IS an issue for fans to make sure they can't avoid it.

I've seen the seahawks called out for breaking rules more than practically every other team combined in the past couple years. They either do things other teams don't do, or they get caught when other teams don't. If the NFL is going to have witch-hunts for Brady and Elliot they can actually do their job when Seattle blatantly breaks rules on television.

And if you can't see why Wilson willingly avoiding procedures designed to protect his health voids his rights to compensation then IDK what to say to you.

I don't have a problem with any type of fine or a more team-wide punishment.  I saw some people suggesting Russell Wilson be suspended.... why?  Wilson didn't do anything wrong.  Wilson should have been or been evaluated by now, so if he's ready to play vs the Falcons then he should play.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So are we expecting a penalty yet?

FWIW, Dr. Chao isn't expecting any kind of punishment and is predicting tweaks to the concussion protocol to close some loopholes. Just one man's opinion but he's usually pretty on the mark and seems plugged in.

Archived