2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

16 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I love Mayfield, but he is not going top 5 IMO, his height is in the range of Brees and Wilson and they represent 2/32 QB's in the NFL, that's a 6% success rate and both Brees and Wilson went in later rounds because of it, so the best Mayfield can hope for, is to go top 15.

I don't care where or by whom he is picked as long as it's not us.

Btw: "Big Farve" was an R2 pick, too.

8 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Browns have reportedly requested a private visit with Baker Mayfield. I am sure they are just doing their due diligence  and he is not the only QB that they will make this same request to.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/browns-reportedly-request-visit-with-baker-mayfield-whom-scot-mccloughan-said-last-month-would-be-my-guy-­-hands-down

I read this and got a little sick to my stomach.

The thought of picking Mayfield does that to me.

Only a little worse than signing Cousins.

I'm surprised that nobody is talking about Mike White more. I know he's not one of the top prospects, so I don't really expect him to be on the Browns' radar at this point, but I hear next to nothing about this kid nationally. I've been really impressed with him the more I see. He looked great at the Senior Bowl, too, but it didn't generate much buzz around him. I'd take him in the 2nd round if we didn't have our pick of the top QBs. I just have this feeling about him, that he's gonna be good. It's the same way I felt about Kirk Cousins in 2012 and Jimmy Garoppolo in 2014. What is everyone else's opinion on him?

3 hours ago, bruceb said:

I don't care where or by whom he is picked as long as it's not us.

Btw: "Big Farve" was an R2 pick, too.

That just means all of the teams missed on him. Just like they missed on Wilson and Rodgers and Brees and Brady and etc... The goal is not to miss on the next great QB and if it happens to be that Mayfield ends up as the best of this bunch and we don't select him #1 then we failed. We have the opportunity to get who we project as the best, we'll either fail or succeed and if we take Mayfield #1 and he is the best of this class we'll all be happy...eventually.

19 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

That just means all of the teams missed on him. Just like they missed on Wilson and Rodgers and Brees and Brady and etc... The goal is not to miss on the next great QB and if it happens to be that Mayfield ends up as the best of this bunch and we don't select him #1 then we failed. We have the opportunity to get who we project as the best, we'll either fail or succeed and if we take Mayfield #1 and he is the best of this class we'll all be happy...eventually.

Tru dat.

20 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

The goal is not to miss on the next great QB

And this is the rub.

Just can't see Mayfield as the next great QB, but I can see Dorsey picking him looking through his Farve lense, and missing on the next great QB.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

And this is the rub.

Just can't see Mayfield as the next great QB, but I can see Dorsey picking him looking through his Farve lense, and missing on the next great QB.

Which is fine, I would hope he evaluates them as who would be the best pick for him to keep his job. A lot of people say he is another Manziel and write him off, they are fans so they can stick to that with no consequences but our front office has their job on the line and I don't think a blurb about one prospect reminding them of Favre is a realistic reason to think they would choose him over someone they believe is a better prospect. If Mayfield is the pick, right or wrong, I believe that is who they think will be the best NFL QB. They wouldn't be alone, nor would they if they chose Rosen, Darnold, Jackson or Allen. There are a lot of varying opinions out there and a lot of people won't be happy when we draft one of them and that is fine as long as they realize they were wrong down the road. Otherwise we'll be doing this again with a different F.O.

Draft Day:

"We passed on Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen because Baker Mayfield is a leader of men, guys rally around him and gravitate to him, he's a winner, and he has the right stuff to battle and help us win here with toughness in the AFC North. When we ran our mental tests Baker was number 1. He's a little Favre. This is the guy we felt comfortable building the team around. His off-field issues are not an issue. Trust me. I respect this team and fan base enough to not bring a bad guy into our family. He's a fiery guy and we love that."

--- John "Not a Wordsmith" Dorsey

----------------------------------------

"We made the best decision for the Cleveland Browns."

--- Hue Jackson

----------------------------------------------

"Today, we passed on the most naturally gifted, tough, rugged, and poised prospect to come along in years (Sam Darnold)...all because Dorsey and McCloughan are projecting Favre-like qualities on a young QB and overweighting the rah-rah personality and emotional intelligence of one player (Baker Mayfield) forgetting that powerful leadership also comes in quiet confidence and special ability a la Aaron Rodgers. Sam Darnold was an Aaron Rodgers-Ben Roethlisberger mix in terms of natural throwing ability, pinpoint accuracy, elite pocket calm, and the ability to be a magician when faced with avoiding pressure to make a big time throw. I have a bucket next to me right now and have been throwing up in it while I watch all these people celebrate the Mayfield pick as if we accomplished something special. I'm done."

--- Mind Character

10 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

"Today, we passed on the most naturally gifted, tough, rugged, and poised prospect to come along in years (Sam Darnold)...all because Dorsey and McCloughan are projecting Favre-like qualities on a young QB and overweighting the rah-rah personality and emotional intelligence of one player (Baker Mayfield) forgetting that powerful leadership also comes in quiet confidence and special ability a la Aaron Rodgers. Sam Darnold was an Aaron Rodgers-Ben Roethlisberger mix in terms of natural throwing ability, pinpoint accuracy, elite pocket calm, and the ability to be a magician when faced with avoiding pressure to make a big time throw. I have a bucket next to me right now and have been throwing up in it while I watch all these people celebrate the Mayfield pick as if we accomplished something special. I'm done."

--- Mind Character

See, I read to the end!

I'll be right behind you, man.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:50 AM, Thomas5737 said:

I don't know how those could be different things.

Lots of ways.

He could in his vs. the teams better interests:

- draft players for need vs. BPA in hope of gaining an extra victory or two and waste draft assets in the process;

- overpay for FAs and crap up the cap, again in hope of gaining an extra victory or two and waste cap assets in the process;

- acquire players that Haslam/Hueball want to curry favor with them instead of acquiring BPSs

And more.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:48 PM, Thomas5737 said:

One thing is, I trust this FO tho. I could care less what the national pundits say. I honestly believe if they truly knew half the stuff they say, a NFL team would hire them into a FO. 

Like you said about teams missing on Wilson and Rodgers, we have front office people who were involved in not missing Wilson or Rodgers and they actually wanted those players to be drafted because of their evaluations. I have always been about drafting the guy who has elite traits. I think Mayfield has some of the elite traits you want from a QB. The only thing I worry about is if he will be used properly. Hue and Haley have never used a QB like Mayfield. 

Archived