2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

8 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Bravo, Bravo. Here I thought I was the only "Country Boy" on this forum. I took you all for city folk. Glad to see at least one poster has "Gone Country".

I'm finding it harder and harder to be proud of "Where I Come From". I have suffered "Summertime Blues", been though a "Tropical Depression" and almost drown being "Up to My Ears in Tears". I don't know why I keep coming back. I guess "It must be Love". It has been a "Long Hard Road" but I believe things are point up like a "Tall Tall Tree". As long as Jimmy Haslam finally realizes "If It Ain't One Thing(Its You) and he keeps out of the process I believe we'll find "The One *We're* Waiting On". "I Don't Even Know Your Name" but I believe this time you'll bring us out of the shadows. He may be a "Work In Progress" but that first game winning touchdown pass that is "Right On The Money" will have us "Living On Love". Yeah, "That'd Be Alright" but "Who Says We Can't Have It All"? A few game winners would be nice, but I see a Ring and a Lombadri trophy in out future.

Good job!  I just hope if we draft Quentin Nelson #1, we don’t hear Dorsey at the podium explain the pick by singing Toby Keith’s, “l Love This Guard.”...

4 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Got a horrible feeling Dorsey is going to mess this up.

Only if Hueball or Haslam get involved.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If we walk out of the draft with anyone other than the #1 QB, then this draft is nothing short of an unmitigated FAILURE.

Agree, unless of course it's Mayfield or Rosen.

This opportunity is what we went 1-31 for.

Let's just do it.

Outside of the #1 pick, I believe we need to bolster our roster with another QB like redskins did with griffin and cousins.

take Mike White or Lauletta in the 3rd or phillys 2nd. 

Alex Smith, Sam Darnold and Mike White

over

Deshone Kizer, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan

its just laughable how bad our QBs were and how Sashi let it stay like that.

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Outside of the #1 pick, I believe we need to bolster our roster with another QB like redskins did with griffin and cousins.

take Mike White or Lauletta in the 3rd or phillys 2nd. 

Alex Smith, Sam Darnold and Mike White

This reeks of wanting something newer just because it’s newer. I don’t think many people would rate Mike White higher than Kizer as a prospect.

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

over

Deshone Kizer, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan

its just laughable how bad our QBs were and how Sashi let it stay like that.

It’s almost like he was waiting to address it....

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think many people would rate Mike White higher than Kizer as a prospect

The idea of moving on from Kizer after 1 year is hilarious, and it would be a mistake.

Mike White over Kizer...lol.

No one wants to believe it to be true, but there is a legitimate chance Deshone Kizer actually gets better over the next 2 years.

If that's the case and he's still on the team, he might get the first crack at being the starter after the bridge QBs time comes to an end.

And in what would be a shocker to most...Kizer may grab hold of the starting position and never let go.

In general, it would be a huge mistake to cut Kizer or trade him for later than 2nd round pick all because Dorsey would want two of his guys and/or Hue was so disgusted by the his first year.

Both Dorsey and Hue know how valuable of an asset Kizer is on a 3-4 year contract. So, ultimately they hold onto him to let him develop.

8 minutes ago, bruceb said:

How about Lauletta?

I mean if BB would do it why not us?

Kyle Lauletta over Kizer?

Hell to the nah nah...

The Patriots stuff is just speculation.

Lauletta has good feet and a quick release but he's nowhere close to Garropolo as a prospect or a QB1 prospect for that matter.

Deshone was historically bad at QB this year as the youngest rookie in the game.

It was easy to predict it going that way, many of us did as we fully understood he was the last guy you'd want starting year 1.

Even still, Kizer flashed elite ability this year (shrugging off defensive lineman while keeping his eyes down field and deliver an accurate pass, deep boundary back shoulder throws, seem shots after blitz avoidance sidestepping, the ability to extend the play and run for first downs via his legs,etc).

His historically struggles were well documented, but you cannot find those abilities in Lauletta, Mason Rudolph, Mike White, or whoever goes post round 1.

He was 21 years old. There's precedent of similar historically bad QBs who people gave up on as franchise QBs (Stafford, Peyton manning) rallying in later years.

It doesn't look good now, it didn't look good for those QBs then, we'll just have to wait and see unless someone is willing to give us a 2nd round pick it makes zero sense to move on from what amounts to now the perfect developmental young QB on a great contract for which has multiple more years of control.

15 minutes ago, bruceb said:

What about a 3rd?

We got Larry Ogunjobi with the first pick in the 3rd round last year.

In last year's draft, first-year impact rookies Cooper Kupp, Kareem Hunt (Dorsey Pick), Chris Godwin, Kenny Galladay, Pat Elflein, and Shaquill Griffin were selected in the third round.

So, theoretically, would you pass on a Ogunjobi-type player to select another developmental QB like Kyle Lauletta when we already have 3 QBs - Kizer, AJ MccarronORKirk Cousins, and Sam DarnoldORBaker Mayfield on the roster.

It doesn't make much sense to me.

And I'm not for chasing the 3rd rounder franchise QB when we'll have depth at that position, and we could potentially get an impact player at another position.

DeShone Kizer could get better 10 fold this season and then 10 fold again next season and still be a terrible QB. I wouldn't shed a single tear if we moved on from him this year. A trade for a late round pick would be nice but I honestly wouldn't care if we just flat out cut him either. He's that bad IMO and really always has been even as a prospect.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

DeShone Kizer could get better 10 fold this season and then 10 fold again next season and still be a terrible QB. I wouldn't shed a single tear if we moved on from him this year. A trade for a late round pick would be nice but I honestly wouldn't care if we just flat out cut him either. He's that bad IMO and really always has been even as a prospect.

Yeah..that's not a shortsighted take at all. Lol.

A late round pick....cut him...Oh yeah...let's definitely do that...hahaha

Classic.

-------------------------------------------------

It doesn't feel good, but you really really have to just wait and see with these things.

Tons more examples, but here's a few of precedence.

In 9 games, Alex Smith was 50.9% // 875 yards passing // 103 yards rushing // 1 (one) TD Passing // 0 TDs rushing; // 11 INTs // 11 Fumbles // TO/TD - 22/1 - Ratio 22:1

With Calvin Johnson, in just 10 games Matthew Stafford was 53.3% // 2,267 yards // 108 yards rushing // 13 TDs Passing // 2 TDs rushing; // 21 INTs // 4 Fumbles // TO/TD - 25/15 - Ratio 1.67:1

With NOT Calvin Johnson, in 15 games Deshone Kizer was 53.6% // 2,894 yards passing // 419 yards rushing // 11 TDs Passing // 5 TDs rushing // 22 INTs // 9 Fumbles // TO/TD - 32/16 - Ratio 2:1

In 11 games, John Elway was 47.5% // 1,663 yards passing // 146 yards rushing // 7 TDs Passing // 1 TDs rushing; // 14 INTs // 12 Fumbles // TO/TD - 26/8 - Ratio 3.25: 1

--------------------------------------------------

"A Look At Matthew Stafford’s Rookie Season And The Importance Of Not Giving Up On Rookie Quarterbacks"

http://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/lucas-walker/2017/12/30/look-matthew-staffords-rookie-season-importance-not-giving-rookie-quarterbacks/

-------------------------------------------------

There sooo many rookie players that have awful and horrid rookie seasons a various positions QB included that have the FO and coaches thinking the player is a lost cause...all to be rectified in their 2nd or sometimes even their 3rd year.

I'm glad you're not our GM, but honestly I'd love to see you as an NFL GM; it would be entertaining

All the rookies that struggle would be cut.

It doesn't look good at this point and it SEEMS to be a certainty regarding how things will shake out, but it really really isn't a certainty.

You would've probably wanted to cut Stafford or Alex Smith, or Goff...so on and so on.

------------------------------------------------

I lived in Detroit for work Matthew Stafford's rookie year. Sports radio was electrically miserable. Grade A yelling, screaming, and catostrophic thinking about their rookie QB that they took number 1 overall. Every other day it was he can't play in the league...he's a bum...etc. He threw 21 INTs in 10 games...10 GAMES. Redzone INTs by Stafford were legendarily insane.

We're talking about 21 year old players and with Kizer a player with rare ability/skills that were displayed multiple times on the field along with terrible terrible catastrophic mistakes.

Patience man. Maybe it goes how you expect...maybe it doesn't.

Archived